Matt Serra - Conor is fighting at welterweight because he wants to have an excuse if he loses

"risks"

he fought nate, ok, he was a replacement for RDA. but losing to nate, it's what serra said, he will lose in 170 to not hurt his marketability. imagine if he would have faced aldo after nate and then lost there? maybe completely dominated? that would hurt him even more
gsp is a scaredy cat. DJ wants to, before that, beating up the title defenses record, anderson fought a guy that had lost his belt just one fight before. bisping is subpar, eddie wants a money fight, but yes, he needs to defend with either ferguson or khabib

but connie isn't taking any risks right now. if anything, he's minimizing his risks by fighting nate again at 170
if conor loses again his marketability will take a huge hit, serra is a grade a goof just like everyone else who thinks hes rematching nate so he can have an excuse if he loses lol
fighting nate at 155 would make no sense and believe you me every hater on this board would never have given that excuse up, 170 is where it should happen
him rematching aldo instantly would do nothing for the sport or his bank account, he beat a guy he beat already? that fight would be a very low risk/low reward fight(low risk of him losing but little reward after winning) + people would claim he was ducking frankie anyway + aldo turned the rematch down when the ufc were scrambling for opponents
now that aldo has managed to win a fight and holds the interim it makes more sense, which is why after natey lies dead on the canvas, conor will drop down to the weight class he rules and remove another title from aldos hands

DJ wants to, just like everyone else "wants" to theres a lot of talk and no action from everyone but conor

Conor is moving up in weight whether it is 155 or 170. That "excuse" is available either way.

The point of 170 is he wants a do-over.

It's more about there being no reason to fight at 155. Conor isn't gonna request they fight at a lower weight and try to win via being more hydrated than his opponent. He wants to win via skills.

Basically, 155 makes no sense. Therefore they're fighting at 170. It's simple. I'm sure this thread is chock-full of stupidity though
Wtf are you talking about?

if conor loses again his marketability will take a huge hit, serra is a grade a goof just like everyone else who thinks hes rematching nate so he can have an excuse if he loses lol
fighting nate at 155 would make no sense and believe you me every hater on this board would never have given that excuse up, 170 is where it should happen
him rematching aldo instantly would do nothing for the sport or his bank account, he beat a guy he beat already? that fight would be a very low risk/low reward fight(low risk of him losing but little reward after winning) + people would claim he was ducking frankie anyway + aldo turned the rematch down when the ufc were scrambling for opponents
now that aldo has managed to win a fight and holds the interim it makes more sense, which is why after natey lies dead on the canvas, conor will drop down to the weight class he rules and remove another title from aldos hands

DJ wants to, just like everyone else "wants" to theres a lot of talk and no action from everyone but conor
This fight at 170 makes no sense. Bottom line. It's a built in excuse. You know it. I know it. All of Sherdog knows it. Nate and the scrap pack knows it. Conor and his team know it. The mma world knows it. That's why the major sports media outlets spew the two weight class bs.

Stop defending the lie.

Which words do you need simplifying? I intentionally try to make my posts easy to understand.
About this fight making more sense at 170 then 155.

Win being more hydrated? Are you serious?

No he wants to prove he can win. He could have just moved on back to FW. He wants to prove himself.

That's exactly why he's doing it.

Fight Nate at 155 and he can't sell the "I lost to a welterweight" story anymore; LOSE to him at 155 and any super-fights in that division down the line are gone.

You fucks would be the saying the same shit if he agreed to fight Nate at 155. You would've said he lost to Nate at 170 and asks him to drop down to see if he can beat him at a lower weight.

Bottom line, you salty haters will hate on either decision. Because you will remain salty regardless.

This fight at 170 makes no sense. Bottom line. It's a built in excuse. You know it. I know it. All of Sherdog knows it. Nate and the scrap pack knows it. Conor and his team know it. The mma world knows it. That's why the major sports media outlets spew the two weight class bs.

Stop defending the lie.
>lose at 170
>rematch at 170

"170 IS JUST AN EXCUSE"
lmao my god this is some next level reaching. gtfo

About this fight making more sense at 170 then 155.

Win being more hydrated? Are you serious?
Respond to things I said. You haven't made a coherent point.

What are the advantages of holding the fight at 155 instead of 170?

There's no reason to have it at 155. Therefore, it'd make no sense to have it at 155.

"win by being more hydrated" refers to the idea that the advantage for Conor of the fight being at 155 would be that he'd be cutting less weight than Nate, thus Nate would be more dehydrated. Conor doesn't want that advantage. He wants to win without it. He wants to avenge the loss fully. It's not about him making excuses, it's about not wanting to give Nate any excuses.

Or because he wants to avenge the loss under the same (or close to the same) circumstances as the first fight, beating Nate at 155 create an excuse for the other side, "Oh, he may have beat him at 155 but 'WW Nate' would smoke him again."
The first fight didn't make sense then, there are a lot of people wanting to fight him at LW, Conor & UFC chose Nate over those....not really clear why they chose someone who's basking under the sun in Cabo than the people who are down to fight and willing to step up. This rematch of course doesn't make sense either but a lot of fights didn't make sense anyways....

Respond to things I said. You haven't made a coherent point.

What are the advantages of holding the fight at 155 instead of 170?

There's no reason to have it at 155. Therefore, it'd make no sense to have it at 155.

"win by being more hydrated" refers to the idea that the advantage for Conor of the fight being at 155 would be that he'd be cutting less weight than Nate, thus Nate would be more dehydrated. Conor doesn't want that advantage. He wants to win without it. He wants to avenge the loss fully. It's not about him making excuses, it's about not wanting to give Nate any excuses.
The advantage to having the fight at 155 is that they are both 155 fighters. Plus, the entire world except real followers of MMA, are calling Nate a 170 fighter. He's not. He tried that years ago and it didn't work out well. Conor cuts an ungodly, unhealthy amount of weight to make 145.

I want to make something clear. After Conor loses again all you're going to hear in Conor is so courageous for fighting a 170 fighter while Nate is getting scheduled to fight Alvarez for the 155 belt which is Conor's real goal. Plus is Conor does win he's going to get the shot at Alvarez and drop the 145 belt without even defending it once.

I want McGregor vs Serra at WW next. Would be epic! Could you imagine the shit talking?!

Or because he wants to avenge the loss under the same (or close to the same) circumstances as the first fight, beating Nate at 155 create an excuse for the other side, "Oh, he may have beat him at 155 but 'WW Nate' would smoke him again."
Sure buddeh that's it.

conor should have tried to fight alverez instead of rematch nate

That's exactly why he's doing it.

Fight Nate at 155 and he can't sell the "I lost to a welterweight" story anymore; LOSE to him at 155 and any super-fights in that division down the line are gone.
Why is THIS so hard understand?

Back