Matt Hughes or Jake Shields? Who's had the better career?

FMAxBoxing

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Matt Hughes

UFC-former-Welterweight-Champ-Matt-Hughes_display_image.jpg

Notable Wins:
Georges St. Pierre
Hayato Sakurai
Matt Serra
BJ Penn
Sean Sherk
Carlos Newton x2
Royce Gracie
Renzo Gracie
Frank Trigg

Notable Accomplishments: UFC Welterweight Champion twice with 7 title defenses altogether. UFC HOF,

Jake Shieds

jake-rotr-belt_medium.jpg

Notable Wins:
Tyron Woodley
Robbie Lawler
Dan Henderson
Demian Maia
Carlos Condit
Martin Kampmann
Yushin Okami
Paul Daley
Mike Pyle
Yoshihiro Akiyama
Jason Miller

Notable Accomplishments: Strikeforce MW Champion x1 Defenses, Elite XC WW Champion x1 Defenses, Shooto WW Champion.

Who will you pick? ;)

Whenever I see Matt Hughes all I can think about is that story about him wanting to have sex with his wife right after she gave birth. What a sick fuck

Matt... Jake's career is incredibly underrated though. He's right up there with the best of 'em.

I like Hughes more but Shields has the better win list. Woodley, Hendo, Condit, Kampmann, Daley, Lawler, I mean half those guys are still relevant and 2 of them were WW champs this year!!

Whenever I see Matt Hughes all I can think about is that story about him wanting to have sex with his wife right after she gave birth. What a sick fuck

How "right after"? We talking about a week later or are we talking doctor slapping baby in the background?

disgstd.gif

Between that and the brokeback barn bro story, this dude has a chromosome missing

Two guys with pretty much god awful striking. Hughes propably evolved it a bit better.

I am biased towards Hughes here.

Hughes overall competition was maybe a little bit lower back in the early 2000's, but he was more dependable to put on a good fight.

Jake had some impressive 'wins', but then he almost lost to Kampmann and his supposed 'superfight' with Georges ended up shitting the bed.

Wasteland of a thread.

Both are badass. I would lean toward Shields because a lot of his wins are against guys who would wreck hughes and everyone hes faced even GSP in Hendos case.

Lawler and Condit would definitely smash most of Hughes opponents except GSP. So would Hendo Woodley and probably Maia.

Depends on what you weigh more; exceptionally dominant run at the top and being the #2 all time in one division or great multi-division success with a stacked resume.

Hughes is top ten all time.

This. Matt is by far the #2 WW alltime and P4P was the best in the world unlike Jake who peaked at bottom top 10 P4P. Hughes was far more dominant and should be a staple of any knowledgeable top 10 P4P ranking alltime. Shields work in MW doesnt overtake Hughes massive WW advantage over him.

Hughes. Cant compete with a 5 time defending UFC champion. Shields definitely has some solid wins under his belt though

How "right after"? We talking about a week later or are we talking doctor slapping baby in the background?

Right after, his wife even had to push him off. It was a c-section too.

Go read his book, guy is a sick fuck

Depends on how you quantify better career.

Hughes had a long reign as the #1 guy at WW and made better money. Shields beat better skilled competition but was never really the #1 nor did he make a lot of money.

I'd say Matt had the better career while Shields has the better resume.

Also another fun story from his book

Later it gets even more disturbing when he describes mutilating a live baby piglet by cutting off it's testicles, and throwing them at a friend. For good measure he slits it's stomach open as it screams wildly to "freak his friend out." After he and Mark brutally torture and kill a dozen or so baby pigs, solely for entertainment, they starts throwing their testicles and body parts at each other. Matt even now still seems amused because his friend looked like he was going to vomit.

Back