Matt Hughes lost to BJ twice, but who was the better fighter and had the better career?

You could definitely say BJ had better career highlights. But going 1-9-1 in your last 12 and winning none of your last 8 matters. He fought and lost to shitloads of average fighters. And that streak of futility started at age 31, not 41.

Fedor or Mirko's skids started not much older.
It doesn't diminish what they accomplished for many years, same for BJ's career from 2001-2011, which is a whole decade not a couple of years, far from a flash in the pan.

Meanwhile Hughes got subbed twice by Hallman, KOed by Pelé and Alves, and subbed by a way undersized BJ himself

In this specific matchup I'd say BJ was shown to be the better fighter, Hughes barely survived the 2nd fight and won when Penn injured a rib and gassed.

Better career is quite hard to judge given the differences.
Hughes beat GSP, Sherk, Royce, and BJ.
His big names wins are ridiculous.

BJ had some highly delusional fans back in the day. BJ constantly jumping classes I would argue badly damages his legacy in many ways.. The 16-14-2 record is obviously bad.. But beyond that his longest winning streak ever was 4.. That's it.. 4 wins..

Hughes on the other hand going into the 2nd GSP fight was 41-4 having won 9 title fights..

Career wise Hughes blows BJ out of the water..

Saying that a LW taking on top contenders way above his weightclass and giving the likes of GSP, Fitch, Machida all they could handle, and actually finishing Hughes twice somehow "damages his legacy" is the most shertard, stupid assesment I have ever read.

It's the opposite...and you won't hear any fighter saying otherwise...only shertards obsessed with numbers and stats could say otherwise....there is a reason why fighters go through tough weightcuts to avoid being in size disadvantage.
Same reason why BJ was often mentioned by fellow pro fighers as the best p4p fighter during that whole deade...while Hughes name was rarely in their mouth when discussing the GOAT

The biggest mistake in BJ's career was I'd say signing with FEG rather than Pride.

Going to a decision with a HW Machida was impressive to some degree I spose but in Pride he could have been in the mix with the best LW's of that era.

He already beat some of the best LWs of that era, including Pride LW posterboy Gomi by finish.
I'd like to see the offer Pride put in the table to get BJ to dethrone their local hero btw

Going to a decision with Machida - not just going to decision but giving him the fight he did - as well as giving GSP or Fitch al they could handle and finishing the much bigger Hughes for the belt certainly does more to his legacy than adding "nº of tittle defenses" in a hypothetical mid00s UFC LW division over much lesser and smaller competition. I dont think even Gomi himself beat many LWs in Pride who would have boosted BJ's legacy more than the performances mentioned above.

Unless we want to approach the matter as a pure stat contest, in such case cool, but Saku was considered arguably the greatest for giving the likes of Igor and Nogueira all they could handle as well as finishing top contenders way above his weight, even though others could have a better W/L ratio taking on much easier challenges

Last edited:
Saying that a LW taking on top contenders way above his weightclass and giving the likes of GSP, Fitch, Machida all they could handle, and actually finishing Hughes twice somehow "damages his legacy" is the most shertard, stupid assesment I have ever read.

Really touched a nerve I see there Princess..

He lost most of those fights.. Give him credit for the balls, not the wins.. Highest win streak is 4.. Not in contention for GOAT at LW or WW or any class.. Not even close. What's his best win at LW? Diego Sanchez.. Then came the Edgar losses ending his prime. No longevity whatsoever..

It's the opposite...and you won't hear any fighter saying otherwise...
only shertards obsessed with numbers and stats could say otherwise...

Right because wins, and losses don't matter.. This is more everyone gets a trophy day.. Congrats BJ.

.there is a reason why fighters go through tough weightcuts to avoid being in size disadvantage.
Same reason why BJ was often mentioned by fellow pro fighers as the best p4p fighter during that whole deade...while Hughes name was rarely in their mouth when discussing the GOAT

Hughes is widely seen as one of the best WWs of all time, and he was the clear number 1 for years in the sport.. You can cherry pick those that love BJ, and I could also cherry pick quotes about Hughes greatness as well when he was on top.. After he slaughtered Royce Gracie some were hailing him as the best fighter of all time.. And at that time he was the greatest champ the sport had seen.

You do know that while BJ wanted the challenge, he also was a lazy shit.. He hated to train and was rarely in top shape. So he would fight large foes being very fat.. The wins against Hughes speak to his talent but he loses points almost everywhere else.. No discipline or consistency.. Hughes took his career serious.. BJ fighting was like a hobby..

Really touched a nerve I see there Princess..

Keep hoping, queen

He lost most of those fights.. Give him credit for the balls, not the wins

Give him credit for the performances, dude. This is what you can't understand. Your approach is about cheking Ls and Ws in the record, with no further anlysis in typical casual shertard fashion.
Bring me some other stat, thats all you have.

Not in contention for GOAT at LW or WW or any class.. Not even close. What's his best win at LW? Diego Sanchez.. Then came the Edgar losses ending his prime. No longevity whatsoever.

He was definitley in contention for LW GOAT until Khabib sealed any discussion. You dont even know what you talk about.
Did you hear about Gomi, Uno, Pulver, Serra or Sherk btw?

Funnny thing is you probably give full-credit to Hughes for beating Serra or Sherk...
Well get it right, BJ beat both Serra and Sherk in more decisive fashion despite not having size advantage on them - unlike Hughes - which certainly make them greater wins. I know you can't grasp this, you only see W or Ls. Stats, thats all you can tell. Classic casual shertard.

But get it right, that's the reason BJ was widely considered the greater fighter by his peers.

Not in contention for GOAT at LW or WW or any class.. Not even close. What's his best win at LW? Diego Sanchez.. Then came the Edgar losses ending his prime. No longevity whatsoever.

From 2001 to 2011 at the very top of two weightclasses. "No longevity whatsoever". Are you actually dense?
Bring me some stat, though

Hughes is widely seen as one of the best WWs of all time, and he was the clear number 1 for years in the sport.. You can cherry pick those that love BJ, and I could also cherry pick quotes about Hughes greatness as well when he was on top..

Anderson Silva and GSP - who fought both of them - credit BJ as the greater fighter. No others than Silva and GSP...cherry picking you say?

After he slaughtered Royce Gracie some were hailing him as the best fighter of all time.. And at that time he was the greatest champ the sport had seen..

Okay, Im talking with a guy that considers Royce in 2006 a great win, a win that somehow credited the title of "best fighter of all time"....holly shit, I didnt realize until this poiint how much of an illiterate moron is the guy I was replying to

Last edited:
Gloden age of lightweight and welterweight division at ufc !

BJ. Both were GOATs in their division until better fighter came along. BJ was successful at WW though while Hughes remained in his division. It’s however clear that BJs last decade is far worse than Hughes’ (that’s even including the train crash).

giphy.gif

5.gif

V8nGtQDivFxpaVd2ytNipV32DEyYGizPDowilxglEEzt05FEs6zOVJvYsBw1r0SnFxgyyQFGFWM9HWubQGsWjYXTd019nft4Bj2ahSn0Lp4NX8jAv9Syj_oxN3aTvos8KB6m7vp6EvHctnbMhnOxUrvZ_rJYQogB8JY

oqGIhLIFNpI95kTntb_5JN9I7fhUT4usXsFS-GMzZYJ8lVe7b7ZUnWYVRI31KPVfqO8xZicfL4c9m7KYVKoFh2FHEVINik0

20190210-214446-64cfba304f867c370589117cbc98a980.jpg

BJ was a better fighter. Hughes had a better career.

Back