matt hammils jab

h23a

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I made this thread in here in order to avoid the mob, i was just wondering what some of you guys thought of hammils jab. Im in no way calling hammill a great striker, but he does seem to have a pretty effective jab. The jab is is really looked past a lot in mma, but hammill seems to be able to rock his opponents at times with it, rather than just use it as distance guage or to set up other punches. I know a strong jab is good to have, but i was just wondering how effective is it really?

If he doesnt learn to keep his hands up he will never be able to compete with the top LHW. He does have a fairly good jab though

If he doesnt learn to keep his hands up he will never be able to compete with the top LHW. He does have a fairly good jab though

Yea he definately needs to keep those hands up

I like that he uses it. I'm also impressed by his slipping ability.

He actually does have a pretty good sense of timing and space with his jab, has a good feel for when to throw it. Obviously its not the crispest jab in the world though.

He actually does have a pretty good sense of timing and space with his jab, has a good feel for when to throw it. Obviously its not the crispest jab in the world though.

i agree

an what really seperates him is his willingness to mix it up on the feet; alot of guys who wrestle are predictable in that the min they take a stiff shot or start getting pressed, well they seek to shoot or clinch. Basically they abandon striking, so most strikers know if i put them thangs on him he will basically revert back to wrestling, hamill is willing to initiate striking and get into exchanges; if he isnt getting the best of the exchange he will continue to attact and look to counter, even if he clinches he is working the strikes actively. Unlike hughes, koscheck or tito; hamill really is eff w/his strikes, because he refuses to fall back on his wrestling the min he faces some adversity standing. A fighter can't just predict when he shoots, i think boetsch felt hamill would shoot when he got hit and that wasn't necessarily the case; matt stuck the jabm fired the right hand and leg kicked tim, an never went for a td out of desperation. I think that really affected tims gameplan and contributed to him gassing not expecting to have to be so active off and def on the feet

He better learn how to defend against a teep kick as he was hit with one several times. The last guy he fought had no cardio and only an upper cut and a knee and he gave Matt a run for his money in the first round. Like Matt since he overcame obsticals in his life but I would not look to him as any example of boxing.

He better learn how to defend against a teep kick as he was hit with one several times. The last guy he fought had no cardio and only an upper cut and a knee and he gave Matt a run for his money in the first round. Like Matt since he overcame obsticals in his life but I would not look to him as any example of boxing.

A good jab is awesome for a wrestler, because it means you can sit there and set up your takedowns, rather than having to wade into a power punch exchange.

he has a decent jab considering he was a pure wrestler, very nice tool to have in ur arsenal.

Seriously. Rogan and Goldberg are talking about what technical striking he's been able to put together since leaving TUF, and his hands are on his fucking waistband.

Seriously. Rogan and Goldberg are talking about what technical striking he's been able to put together since leaving TUF, and his hands are on his fucking waistband.

Seriously who can take Joe's horrible commentary? I am so relieved that he is off the next ufc.

Re Hammils jab, i like watching him improve I hope he does learn to keep his hands up. i dont want to see a fight of his end sooner than it has to. I like his fights going the distance. i like seeing him wear out his opponents in later rounds.

If a guy can make a fist and throw it, he's a world class striker in the eyes of Joe Rogan.

Seriously who can take Joe's horrible commentary? I am so relieved that he is off the next ufc.

Re Hammils jab, i like watching him improve I hope he does learn to keep his hands up. i dont want to see a fight of his end sooner than it has to. I like his fights going the distance. i like seeing him wear out his opponents in later rounds.

There's quite a few of us who are happy Joe Rogan is off the next UFC.

I find his jab is going to get him in trouble later on. He pushes his whole body forward when doing it and exposes his face because he doesn't bring back his hand very quickly.

Back