Matt Brown vs. Kelvin Gastelum headlines UFC's return to Mexico

ProJakedChris

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
A showdown of top 15 welterweights will headline the UFC's return to Mexico as Matt Brown faces Kelvin Gastelum in the five round main event from Monterrey on Nov. 21. Brown confirmed the fight on the latest edition of the Great MMA Debate podcast, which he co-hosts for FOX Sports.

Brown is fresh off a first-round submission victory in his last fight over Tim Means at UFC 189 in July. The fight put Brown back in the win column following two tough losses to current welterweight champion Robbie Lawler and former champion Johny Hendricks.Now, Brown will look to get back on the title trail as he travels to Mexico to face Gastelum on a card that is also expected to feature the finals of "The Ultimate Fighter: Latin After moving up to 185 pounds for his last fight where he defeated Nate Marquardt.

Gastelum gets the chance to move back down to welterweight after moving up to 185 pounds for his last fight where he defeated Nate Marquardt.

Gastelum has struggled to cut down to 170 pounds and even after his win over Marquardt, it appeared he was going to have to stay in the middleweight division, but now he will get the chance to move back to welterweight for a main event fight in his native country.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/...n-to-mexico-080415?cmpid=tsmtw:fscom:ufconfox

A LW matchup between Efrain Escudero vs. Leandro Silva also announced for card.

Source: http://www.ufc.com/news/Gastelum-vs-Brown-Headlines-in-Monterrey

Last edited:
Cool. Glad Gastelum gets another shot at 170, hopefully he makes weight.

Great fight. Just hope Gastelum makes weight.

I'm confused... Are they fighting at MW or WW?

Says WW at the top and MW ar the bottom.

I guess Uncle Dana is allowing Gastelum to go back down to WW where he belongs. He better fucking make weight.

Sucks for Brown. Love watching him fight, but he's probably gonna get wrestle fucked in this one.

Phewwww! Good thing it wasnt in Mex City or Gastellum woulda looked like crap.

Sincerely doubt Kevlin will make weight

If he does, it will be a fantastic fight as always when Matt Brown is involved

I got Brown in this one. I think Kelvin struggles to make weight. Brown weathers the storm in the first round and then turns the tide and punishes Kelvin.

If this is 5 rounds I got Matt for sure.

Cool. War Brown.

Also, Brown co-hosts a podcast for Fox? Sounds dangerous.

I'm a fan of brown but not that confident he takes this

Phew, it's in Monterrey and not Mexico City. I didn't want a Sea Level Mini Cain thing going. He's going to have a hard enough time making weight, if elevation was a factor I'd say he has no chance against Brown.

edit:
Phewwww! Good thing it wasnt in Mex City or Gastellum woulda looked like crap.
Just saw your post. That elevation was the first thing I thought about when I saw this fight announced.

Back