Matt Brown: Jon Jones would win the Heavyweight title

Wrong! He still have a reach advantage over everyone in the heavy weight division, his wrestling is still much better than everyone including cain. He will have the speed advantage over everyone in the heavy weight division.

Speed advantage over most, sure. But there are a few HW's as fast or faster. Cain, JDS, Stipe, and Arlovski. Jones has never stuck out as a particularly fast fighter besides his spinning elbows.

He could. But he would struggle with a good striker and grappler like Werdum.

I dont think you can compare Werdums striking to Jones - actually not even remotely close... Jones keeps his distance from Werdum and picks him apart. Werdums only hope if he takes him down but if Cormier struggled to Werdum aint going to!

JDS is a much harder match up as he is extremely dangerous on the feet.
I even think Cain is a much harder match up.

Not to say Jones cant lose at heavyweight but he would be a favourite against any of the top 5.
Cormier is a top 5 heavyweight on anyones rankings if he was still there. (Mir, Barnett,bigfoot, Roy N) and AJ beat Arlovski.

So anyone totally writing Jones off against any heavyweight has absoluty no idea about MMA

Wrong! He still have a reach advantage over everyone in the heavy weight division, his wrestling is still much better than everyone including cain. He will have the speed advantage over everyone in the heavy weight division.

No, I am right.
I didn't say he would lose his advantages entirely. I said many of them would be diminished, and I that isn't debatable.
The only advantage I can think of that stands to increase relative to his competition is speed.

LOL at calling that "steamroling". Talk about hyperbole.

people were expecting jones to use his range, instead he fought close, purposefully beating glover at his own game, absolutely dominating every single round, knocking out his mouthpiece like 5 times and winning 50-45, 50-45, 50-45

jon made glover his son

tumblr_n4po3hPllP1tugoyjo1_250.gif

img24541187.jpg

Werdum is a really awful matchup for him.

I doubt he gets by Werdum or anyone in the Top 3 for that matter.

He cracks Top5 though.

I agree. Him dwarfing half of the guys he's fough isn't irrelevant to his success.

jones beats she shit out of cain, I think JDS is tough stylistically for him and werdum but I never bet against jones

If Cain was champion yes.
Guys too chubby to catch Jones.

Werdum 2.0 i'm not so sure. He uses his height and strength really well now.

Speed advantage over most, sure. But there are a few HW's as fast or faster. Cain, JDS, Stipe, and Arlovski. Jones has never stuck out as a particularly fast fighter besides his spinning elbows.

Cain isn't fast. Arlovski isn't fast anymore.

Jones mauls those two.

lol, if that's the case, then gustafsson could be heavyweight champ too.

matt brown is delusional.

lol, if that's the case, then gustafsson could be heavyweight champ too.

matt brown is delusional.

Styles make fights. A 245lb Gus would probably be a good HW.

You use shit mmath, then call Matt delusional? Well, since you want mmath- Cormier was undefeated at HW and Jones handled him.

As good as Jones is I think LHW is his weight class. The power disparity between him and virtually every other guy on the roster may simply be too much overcome. He can't knock out 205ers, he's certainly not going to knock out 265ers. On the transverse, the LHWs have not had enough power to knock Jones out, I think the HWs would close that gap and it would create a mismatch.

Styles make fights. A 245lb Gus would probably be a good HW.

You use shit mmath, then call Matt delusional? Well, since you want mmath- Cormier was undefeated at HW and Jones handled him.

lol, i was being sarcastic. i said what i did to mock the fact that jones could be heavyweight champ. there's a HUGE difference between light-heavyweight and heavyweight.

I respectfully disagree. I've been saying that jones could beat anyone on the roster for years now. I'm not saying he would take the belt for sure but he without a doubt could hang with the top guys...and lol at Mir beating him. Mir gassed out one minute into a sloppy brawl. I would love to see Mir destroy jones but it really is laughable that you said that.

Jones has the height, reach, speed, cardio and wrestling to give anyone a tough fight. His one missing quality is knockout power.

I do think that Jones is the greatest MMA fighter of all time, but I don't think he beats those guys I mentioned in 4 to 6 months. The most likely scenario is Jones fights these guys 2 to 3 years down the road. Father time has taken its toll on the aforementioned fighters, and the UFC will have strict testing laws to prevent these old dogs from using steroids. I hope a Heavyweight prospect will emerge that can give Jones at heavyweight in 2 to 3 years.

Didn't Brown once say Mike Pyle is a better WW than Georges, and that his(Brown's) wrestling was better than GSP's as well?

Yeah. Definitely something of a sage, Brown is.

This. Plus his political commentary in the past makes me think he should keep all his talking inside the cage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Judoka_Noob
Back