Matt Brown has lost 4 of his last 5 do you think he could be cut with 1 more consecutive loss?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Yujiro Hanma, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Yujiro Hanma

Yujiro Hanma Purple Belt

He is an exciting fighter, and I doubt that the UFC would want to cut him...but he seems like he might be on the downside of his career. Strange that he now is starting to find himself in the Ellenberger spot. What do you think? They couldn't cut this guy, could they?

2. wilKO

wilKO Green, White & Gold belt

Crazy. Maia vs Brown was for title contention. I think he gets at least 2 more cracks.

Gabe and JohnyBrabo like this.
  3. SimonNova

SimonNova Worship and forget

He is exciting as fuck so he might get a few extra chances like Hardy did. I guess it depends on who he fights next, and how it goes down.

JohnyBrabo likes this.
  4. JohnyBrabo

JohnyBrabo Mackin & Stackin Belt Platinum Member

They probably won't because of his fighting style and he's still a fan favorite. But yeah, guys have certainly been cut for far less.

5. Kalmah

Kalmah Gold Belt

If Berger got another shot, Brown should too.

6. method115

method115 Titanium Belt

He's to exciting to get cut IMO. Unless he wants a shit load of money and threatens to go to Bellator. If anything they'll just give him a step down in competition and he'll string a few wins together. Really thought he was going to come back from that knock down against Ellenberger but guess not.

SimonNova likes this.
  7. GearSolidMetal

GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom. Platinum Member

They'll keep him around because Bellator would snatch him up.

8. PokerMage

PokerMage Black Belt

He will stick around.

Thing is he doesnt really have any top10 wins. and was given the push cause he was a fan favorite for exciting fights against lower tier'd guys.

He is just in over his head when he fights the cream of the division.

But he still has fans and puts butts in the seats and can have many more exciting fights as long as he stays in that 15-40 range. and he has a solid name for young fighters to build off.

He wont be goin anywhere unless he really just implodes and cant win against anybody anymore.

JohnyBrabo and IngaVovchanchyn like this.
  9. SimonNova

SimonNova Worship and forget

A fight vs Saunders would be good next!

10. Yujiro Hanma

Yujiro Hanma Purple Belt

He had a great streak going...and was knocking on the door of a title shot...but so was George Sotiropoulos before his fall from grace...and George is gone. I hope they give Matt Brown an easier fight next time out.

Egnuldt likes this.
  11. keylock21

keylock21 Purple Belt

Given Ellenbergers recent fight record, I think they thought this WAS an easy fight for Brown.

JohnyBrabo likes this.
  12. Th3Sav4ge

Th3Sav4ge "What the fuck is happening!?"

brown is still awesome. he will get the stopage in his next fight

13. eddymotto

eddymotto Red Belt

As a fan, I like watching him fight and hope that they keep him. let's put "Matt Brown is a title contender" aside and have him fight guys who are lower ranked. then again, that was what Saturday was supposed to be and that didn't work out.

UFC will be all economics. I think if Brown remains a good corporate man and doesn't ask for too much money, he has a spot for a couple of more fights. While Brown is seemingly popular among Sherdog and he certainly puts on fun fights, it is not like he is going to draw an audience on his own. His worth is not in increasing the audience but rather that he increases the likelihood that people who do watch will see a scrap

JohnyBrabo and Cptn1NSAN0 like this.
  14. Cptn1NSAN0

Cptn1NSAN0 shows no mercy

I doubt they'd cut him, he has main evented twice now and always delivers exciting fights. Never in a boring scrap (save for Hendricks from what I've heard.)

He did just get indirectly called out by Jorge Masvidal. Jorge said he wanted to fight the winner of Brown/Ellenberger, and said that he hoped Brown would win because he's always wanted to fight him. He actually had some pretty interesting words to say about Brown, I recommend you guys watch the latest Masvidal interview posted on Sherdog's Twitter. Anyway, I wonder if Jorge still wants to fight Matt or if he'd rather face the Berg now.

JohnyBrabo likes this.
  15. Rovert

Rovert Yellow Card Yellow Card

He just needs some TV Shows to give the dim mock 2 , just take a break from the top 5 for a bit .

16. gotBooched

gotBooched maximus entertainus

Yeah and neither fought for the title

17. Weaponxufc

Weaponxufc Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Back fist spinning

18. Dart Feld

Dart Feld Steel Belt

Brown's been there before. He lost 4 of his last 5 after the guillotine choke by Seth Baczynski.

Then he started his tear of 7 violent wins(2 FOTN, 1 KOTN, 1 POTN) which prompted him to start mixing it up with the elite. That run began with Chris Cope, a subpar TUF alumni. Brown will get his another drop in competition and string together a few wins of that caliber and be fine.

UFC won't cut Brown unless he majorly screws up or goes on a Chuck Lidell late career run of kissing the canvas(maybe the Chuck inspired haircut was a mistake for Matt...).

JohnyBrabo likes this.
  19. bigconan

bigconan Gold Belt

Fact is, ellenburger was gassed. When brown recovered from that big right hand and the barrage that followed, he started landing shots on Burger. It was obvious burger was gassed. This fight would not have made it out of the 2nd round. and brown would beat burger 9 out of 10 times. That was just a good, perfectly placed kick at the right time.

kiley_sean likes this.
  20. Thesnake101

Thesnake101 Think about it, it worth it.

Brown was 12-11 at one point and still managed not to get cut, I think they'll give him a few more fights before thinking about cutting him.

JohnyBrabo likes this.