Matt Brown=Chris Lytle

When Brown slapped that on Silva I thought, "Credit to the man for learning from his mistakes."

I was half drunk and had just worked a double at my bar and was watching from 30 feet away with the parents of a girl I've been gettin' at; I need to watch that fight again.

This thread tuned into a "technical brawling" thread haha.

Lytle is a much better grappler I agree but Lytle is also a superior striker. Brown is more like a WW version of Levar Johnson with less power. Poor grappling game and a decent striker who relies on overwhelming his opponents.

No way is Lytle the superior striker good grief man. Go rewatch his slobberknockers.

No way is Lytle the superior striker good grief man. Go rewatch his slobberknockers.

Ok put Brown in a boxing match vs Lytle and see what happens... then tell me Brown is a better striker. Just wait... its only a matter of time before we start seeing Brown taking naps in the cage.

tumblr_m9afrxPkG21ry1rm7o1_250.gif

Great fight,and Lytle was way better of a grappler than Brown was (is), but that fight should should have been the first time Lytle was finished. Brown had him in deep sub (I'm thinking arm triangle), and Lytle straight up haymakered him in the nuts, ref didn't see.

Brown pushes a lot harder than Lytle did, though. Lytle would pick his shots to be effective, Brown is just go-go-go until someone goes down. What's really brought Brown to a new level is cleaning up his technique while still being able to push hard.

Great fight,and Lytle was way better of a grappler than Brown was (is), but that fight should should have been the first time Lytle was finished. Brown had him in deep sub (I'm thinking arm triangle), and Lytle straight up haymakered him in the nuts, ref didn't see.

:rolleyes:

the guy used to be nothing but another Chris Leben.

but unlike Leben, he has gotten better every year, worked hard to go down in weight safely and professionally, and has earned his way from top 50 to top 10.

and sherdoggers find a way to make it sound like he sucks.

he's no A Silva or GSP, no. but he's a very good fighter who has improved his whole career and is now on a nice streak. i look forward to seeing him fight a top 5er. if he loses, he's still a very good fighter.

you bitches act like being one of the best 10 fighters your size in the world is pitiful. get a life, children. or better yet, go back and watch his first few fights in the UFC, and celebrate how far he's come. i dare you.

Last edited:
Whats with this fascination of discrediting Brown? Vegas always has him as an underdog and hes in the back of the WW title fight line. So whats the issue here? Some folks dont even want him to be considered an entertaining fighter. Its baffling.

No.

Too many people not keeping up with this sport in this thread.

Hey, we all love Lytle . . . But Chris never did anything in the UFC like what Brown's been doing for 7 fights in a row.

Yes, because he was fighting top guys regularly.

Ok put Brown in a boxing match vs Lytle and see what happens... then tell me Brown is a better striker. Just wait... its only a matter of time before we start seeing Brown taking naps in the cage.

Striking isn't just boxing is it? And Lytle might have been a decent boxer but how often would he just be swinging for the fences with wild haymakers? Brown hands down is by far the superior striker, he can knee, punch, kick and elbow, all Lytle had was his boxing which most of the time he didn't use but rather he'd elect to swing wildly. Lytle had more power but Brown is no slouch in that department.

I favor Brown vs anyone in a 5 round fight. That pace he put on Silva and he still looked like could do that for another 10 rounds. He doesn't get tired and I feel that could give a lot of guys trouble like Lombard or Tyron, that's if he survives that long. Which I believe he can.

You can't be serious.

GSP, Diaz and Condit have far better, more proven cardio and activity.

Brown has never seen a 4th round and took an age to put away zombie Silva who recently had the displeasure of being one punch KOd by Dong.

Brown is great fun and I am thoroughly enjoying his streak, but he's a poor man's Diaz / Condit without grappling.

both guys are awesome. I think chris was a little better, and i'm not just saying that because he tapped him twice. but matt brown is fuckin awesome. his resume shows a ton of submission losses; I remember thinking he was a ferocious can back on TUF 7 (when he was like 5-6). he has definitely tightened up his game and closed those gaps a bit, for sure. silva, who tapped Jason high rather easily, had his back with two hooks and a grip on his neck just seconds after DROPPING him and he recovered.

brown has never been stopped with strikes, and he has such an underrated guard. he's so fuckin smooth (and has been since before TUF 7). this is clearly his prime and I can't wait to see him fight Lombard or somebody huge

I think Matt right now is better than Chris ever was. Lytle is a better grappler, but I think Brown has better TDD, more power standing up, a more diverse striking attack, a fiercer pace, and he makes guys pay for slowing down.

Matt Brown - 30 fights, been submitted 9 times
Chris Lytle - 54 fights, never been submitted

Matt Brown - Nickname "The Immortal" :icon_neut
Chris Lytle - Nickname "lights out"

Brown has lost to Lytle twice, by submission.

I was a huge Lytle fan, but they are very different fighters. Lytle utilized a very boxing oriented attack while Brown is a pure MT style striker. Both are pretty slick on the ground with their submissions (but Lytle was definitely slicker) and both are tough as hell with a lot of heart and bring a similar strategy to the cage, but they used very different styles to execute that strategy.

People will hate on Brown as long as he's on his streak, so that if it ends they can all sound smart "anyone on the Brown hype train was delusional hurr durr". I'm sorry but Brown went from getting subbed every other fight to dismantling hot prospects. His ground game has clearly improved. If you got Brown in a sub 3 years ago he would be tapping. He's escaped multiple sub attempts and has shown a sneaky ground game of his own. His stand up is getting better, and so is his cardio. Haters gonna hate until they're right.

Matt Brown - 30 fights, been submitted 9 times
Chris Lytle - 54 fights, never been submitted

Matt Brown - Nickname "The Immortal" :icon_neut
Chris Lytle - Nickname "lights out"

Brown has lost to Lytle twice, by submission.

You do understand the significance of Brown's nickname right? If anything Lytle's nickname is ironic since he only has 3 ko/tko wins in MMA.

People will hate on Brown as long as he's on his streak, so that if it ends they can all sound smart "anyone on the Brown hype train was delusional hurr durr". I'm sorry but Brown went from getting subbed every other fight to dismantling hot prospects. His ground game has clearly improved. If you got Brown in a sub 3 years ago he would be tapping. He's escaped multiple sub attempts and has shown a sneaky ground game of his own. His stand up is getting better, and so is his cardio. Haters gonna hate until they're right.

Agreed. Its strange to see fans of MMA salivating at the mouth, getting pleasure out of prophesizing the demise of such a non-douchey, hard working fighter.. If Brown doesnt turn out to be a champ, so what...have fun watching him pour his heart out trying.

Back