1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Mats to put on top of other mats

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by DanimalJr, Oct 16, 2010.

1. DanimalJr

DanimalJr White Belt

Okay, yes I am still trying to start an MMA/Grappling club at my college. It is proving to be significantly more difficult than any of my classes.

So I talked to my school's Taekwondo club about using their mats. They are a very large group on campus and they have 150+ 3' by 3' interlocking mats that they set up for their practices. They are around 3/4 of an inch thick. Today I had a chance to roll around on them a bit/do break falls and they are obviously not meant for grappling of any kind. They have very little give in spite of their thickness. We could probably roll on them okay, but even doing forward rolls (not to mention break falls) was pretty uncomfortable.

With that in mind, one option might be to set up a layer of thinner cheaper squishier puzzle mats on top of the TKD mats. I know that people here don't tend to recommend puzzle mats, but in my situation would they be a good idea? Are there other options for cheap thin mats that might work? I would really like to be able to do takedowns/wrestling stuff comfortably.

And obviously budgeting is a problem. The university will give us no money and I would love to be able to cover over a 27' by 27' square of TKD mats (enough area to run a club with 10-15 people). That is a fairly big area and while fundraising might be an option anything more than 500$ would be a stretch. Given this financial constraint is this even a valid idea in the first place?

2. brandon0627

brandon0627 White Belt

Try to find some used wrestling mats from any local BJJ, subwrestling schools, or high schools. If your college has a wrestling ask their coaches for some help or where to look for cheap mats. Good luck. Oh yeah, not trying to get all Captain Obvious on you but... clean any used mats you get thoroughly.

3. DanimalJr

DanimalJr White Belt

Unfortunately, I have checked most everything out and using the TKD mat base looks like the best option if I can make it work with the right padding for the right price.

4. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  5. laohu69

laohu69 Blue Belt

Check the Dollamur ebay site. They make a 1" mat specially for overlayment & there was one on the ebay site last week.

6. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

puzzle mats which are not meant for MAs won't work, they won't stay together.

IMO you simply will need to learn proper breakfall, i have trained in TKD mats and compared to other things i have trained on they felt like pillows.

7. Respeezy

Respeezy Purple Belt

Why is that?

Or is it as the other guy above said because they, don't stick together?

8. TheeFaulted

TheeFaulted Inzer Belt

Fundraising is not an option. Fundraising is the only way for you to become. A legitimate club. Stop relying on other clubs/orgs, buck up and do some work. Get some charter members with your staff sponsor and figure out a Fundraiser. Do a car wash, a concert, a bake sale, offer a security service to female students ( you walk them to their dorm at night) get creative and figure out how to support your club.

9. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

That, and your toes can get caught in the gaps between the puzzle mats. There's a picture floating around somewhere of a guy's foot, with the big toe ripped almost completely off and the bone sticking out, because of puzzle mats.

10. Doughbelly

Doughbelly αlpha-nerdette, action scientist

Learning breakfalls properly is more about the give in the floor than the qualities of the mat. If you want to do this properly, you need to find the right surface, then the right mats. Concrete is the worst, wooden is the best.

Stacking wrestling mats is a bad idea. Gaps will develop on the lower mats, feet will get stuck and you will have knee injuries.

11. the garage

the garage White Belt

12. DanimalJr

DanimalJr White Belt

How much mat space do you need per person when running a class/rolling/wrestling?