Social Math is racist

Why you only have 98? Hang your head in shame.
Dad used to explain to me when I was bitching about math as a kid about, "why bother learning parabolas", and how it was going to be practical?

Went off on another war story (as usual) and told me how he used the angles to blast marixst fucks to hell while being in the right position to not get smashed to bits.

Last edited:
The number of children who either have autism (diagnosed or otherwise), severe trauma backgrounds, or some other issue that requires constant one-on-one support to be able to be successful in the classroom seems to be increasing each and every year without fail.

There are limits to human ability and time and one teacher realistically can't support the entire class simultaneously. Many struggling students could be successful though if there are more supports put in place: youth care workers and education assistants in the class.

But that costs money so let's just lower standards. Cheaper that way.

There has been separation of math skills in high schools in Canada for as long as I can remember, in places with ZERO POC.

There was always Advanced and General options when I was in school. A lot of the high achievers in mathematics seemed to be naturally inclined to the discipline with a way of seeing things. Those without this ability inherently show less interest and that's understandable. Back then people still had self awareness and were understanding that not everybody was equal in capability or outcome, and weren't resentful for it.

Math doesn't discriminate gainst anybody actually. It takes dedication , patience, and self discipline . If you have a pen paper and calculator (which are easily attainable) then you have all the tools you need so be it you put in the effort.

Whats next, english class?
Geography?

Im legitimately concerned about my daughter's future education because our system up here is being fubarred as well in some areas IE they arent teaching kids much if anything in kindergarten. I went to a shitty school and i remember being taught more than "play time". My kid is already ahead of 90% of kids her age for most fields of development, the last thing i want is stagnation.
My niece is in grade 2 , almost 3 months into school and she's had maybe a few tests. Public school is an absoloute joke

Dad used to explain to me when I was bitching about math as a kid about why bother learning parabolas, and how it was going to bring practical

Went off on a other war story (as usual) and told me how he used the angles to blast marixst fucks to the hell while being in the right position to not get smashed to bits.

Thats the most asian thing i've heard lol. Glad he came home.

There has been separation of math skills in high schools in Canada for as long as I can remember, in places with ZERO POC.

There was always Advanced and General options when I was in school. A lot of the high achievers in mathematics seemed to be naturally inclined to the discipline with a way of seeing things. Those without this ability inherently show less interest and that's understandable. Back then people still had self awareness and were understanding that not everybody was equal in capability or outcome, and weren't resentful for it.
You learn it when it matters. To me , I was terrible at it in high school ( lack of discipline) , yet excelled at it when it came to trade school as I needed jt to be successful. For some people that day never comes. With that said , the fundamentals and discipline you learn early on in life from it is paramount to growing , in my opinion. There's a lot of repetition in life. It's not just the problem itself but the ability to sit down , focus , and complete a process of steps to achieve a set answer. That will apply almost everywhere.

Has anyone actually read up on what they're directly addressing, what types of changes they're making to the classes and the teaching methodology? The studies upon which the competing viewpoints are based?
I read the reports that California's changes are based on and that NYC's approach to their gifted program is based on.
I think it's an important conversation but I suspect this thread is going to be filled with people who are knee jerk reacting to the thread title and couldn't be bothered to read up on the subject itself. An ironic twist in a thread about education and the value of learning, lol.

I said to myself, you know what this <PlusJuan>is a very solid post with plenty of good points and commentary, let me read go and read these tweets in the OP

and then I read this...
Screen Shot 2021-12-08 at 10.15.06 AM.png

Inclusive instruction? {<huh} It's mathematics, problem solving?

pure propaganda, you go and waste your time reading up on this horseshit. *hope that wasn't too knee jerk for you

I read the Stemtl article. I will say it peaked my interest. There is a lot to untangle in the article. Some of it, along the lines of active learning, I agree with. This type of learning is generally better for a majority of students. There are problems with active learning, along the lines of the majority of the class. If you have an immature class, active learning becomes a waste of time.
I am curious as to the "why" students of color, female, and poor struggle with math more than middle class/wealthy white students. I would be interested to see if this is across the board for all communities. Are there communities that have been successful teaching math to students of color/female/poor? If there are, what are they doing differently?
I do think it is a worth while endeavor to challenge the way we teach and learn, but we must keep in perspective what the overall goal of public school system is.

Bry

Post-modernist drivel, brought to you by low-intelligence actors who continue to promote laziness and retard society in some abstract presentation of empathy for personal gain.
Critics told you this was all coming 60 years ago.

That position from Nadine Ebri is what will destroy America. Such short-sightedness...

You nailed it bro. thank you, this shit is quicksand for our society.

Why use that website when you can go to better sources?

For example, here's an article from the STEM Teacher Leadership Network on the subject:
https://stemtlnet.org/theme/august2020-synthesisblog

Here's one from the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
https://www.nctm.org/Standards-and-...s/Access-and-Equity-in-Mathematics-Education/

<Prem973>you seriously doubled down with this nonsense. So it's spreading pretty quickly is your point. Kind of validates the mainstream push for it when you have the heads of academic institutions taking this seriously. PURE PROPAGANDA

Last edited:
So I found out that person of color does in fact mean everyone who isn't white. There is actually a term for non white people. So there's two types of people, whites and POC. And apparently non whites struggle at math. And apparently the way and pace that math is taught needs to be altered for kids who aren't white, and females, and poor kids. The 2 latter it is unclear if whites are included there. So does that mean it needs to be altered for everyone who isn't white and is poor? Unless they're POC and have money then it still needs an altering. If they're white, and girls only if they're poor? What about if they're mixed race half white half POC. Do poor white males count? What if they're gender neutral and white? Gender neutral and black and not poor and not rich somewhere in between?

Do any of you see the absolute fucking retardation in what I just said?

Please tell me you do.

I read the Stemtl article. I will say it peaked my interest. There is a lot to untangle in the article. Some of it, along the lines of active learning, I agree with. This type of learning is generally better for a majority of students. There are problems with active learning, along the lines of the majority of the class. If you have an immature class, active learning becomes a waste of time.
I am curious as to the "why" students of color, female, and poor struggle with math more than middle class/wealthy white students. I would be interested to see if this is across the board for all communities. Are there communities that have been successful teaching math to students of color/female/poor? If there are, what are they doing differently?
I do think it is a worth while endeavor to challenge the way we teach and learn, but we must keep in perspective what the overall goal of public school system is.

Bry
Im all for changing the curriculum and catering learning methods to the student and their individual experiences. Im ever for changing testing methods (I think standardized testing is largely flawed)

But calling objectivity "white supremacy" is just ridiculous

I’m all for new ways to teach math or any discipline for that matter. I don’t think the one size all approach works for learning. I’m not for holding gifted students back. You don’t need to be in accelerated programs to become successful either.

Last edited:
Math is about as non political as it gets and has nothing to do with identity.

One of the best math teachers I had was a black man from the Caribbean. He showed people in his class how to solve math problems without using a calculator. He said math is fairly straightforward once you know how to do it.

Has anyone actually read up on what they're directly addressing, what types of changes they're making to the classes and the teaching methodology? The studies upon which the competing viewpoints are based?

I read the reports that California's changes are based on and that NYC's approach to their gifted program is based on.

I think it's an important conversation but I suspect this thread is going to be filled with people who are knee jerk reacting to the thread title and couldn't be bothered to read up on the subject itself. An ironic twist in a thread about education and the value of learning, lol.
Yeah, let's all take education advice from the 2 states with hilariously low literacy states, one of which rivals DC in spending the most money to get the worst results.

I’m all for new ways to teach math or any discipline for that matter. I don’t think the one size all approach works for learning. I’m not for holding gifted students back. You don’t need to be in accelerated programs to become successful either.
You don't need to, but it does help. Many gifted students gets bored by the pace of a regular class.

Back