Matched up Fighters should just agree to fight a weightclass above

LastBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
to skip the cutting weight part.

With that new Conor/Kavangh/Dana logic everybody should be able to do the same, just cut weight for title fights.
Dos Anjos vs Chiesa for example should just fight at welterweight and claim this is just a LW fight, how could Dana (or anybody else) argue against this shit now? Seriously, why should those guys go through weightcuts now?

I really like it. There's no reason to dehydrate and you know they wont bulk up too much because the title fights will still be at the strict weight limit.

Money has a funny way of making the illogical logical..

Why would they want to count it as a LW bout? They'd still have to make 55 to fight for the lw title so see little benefit to this.

imagine the fat fucker division above heavyweight

With that new Conor/Kavangh/Dana logic everybody should be able to do the same, just cut weight for title fights.
Dos Anjos vs Chiesa for example should just fight at welterweight and claim this is just a LW fight, how could Dana (or anybody else) argue against this shit now? Seriously, why should those guys go through weightcuts now?

Because if everybody would do this, someone can act like belonging to a weightclass below and are not cutting, but who knows? There are enough fighters that moved up a weighclass permanently and they could also claim to belong in a weightclass below. It would be a mess and wouldn't make sense.

For Conor it is a smart thing to do. If he winst at welterweight he will say I beat this ranked lightweight and also also he will tell he has this many wins at welterweight. If he loses he will tell he took a risk and lost to a bigger fighter and not at lightweight. But the UFC will not do this for all fighters. If they want to stop weight cutting there are other ways to do it.

I like to watch half naked people struggle to the scale and celebrate when they make their mark. Collapsing on the way out is an added bonus. Don't take that from me.

RDA and Chiesa are already fighting at WW.

But really, I'm all for it. Why should both fighters dehydrate themselves and put on a worse product in the Octagon? Obviously its not feasible though under the current structure, until they introduce hydration testing.

idk why you take the time to think about this when you yourself know damn well this will never happen for anyone else but Conor

Just eliminate weight cutting all together

Put a scale outside of the cage for them to step on before they enter

RDA and Chiesa are already fighting at WW.

But really, I'm all for it. Why should both fighters dehydrate themselves and put on a worse product in the Octagon? Obviously its not feasible though under the current structure, until they introduce hydration testing.
sorry, i meant to say MW then.

Just eliminate weight cutting all together

Put a scale outside of the cage for them to step on before they enter
what if one is 5 lbs overweight? does the other have to fight him anyway or does he have the choice to quit in the cage with gloves on and mouthguard in?

I actually thought of this with the prospect of Masvidal v McGregor on the horizon, prior to seeing your post.

The problem is this:

Some guys are just naturally bigger. For example McGregor has fought at 170 three times now, and he has weighed ~168-169 lbs, and then ~170 flat, then he perhaps cut a few lbs for this fight or was 170 flat-ish again? But you need to remember that McGregor was a FW with heavy weight cutting. There are bigger LWs out there than McGregor. Gleison Tibau (now irrelevant but as an example) would weigh 180-181 lbs on fight night, cutting tremendous weight.

So if Tibau or say Khabib probably, or any bigger LW had months in advance to fight at 170, why wouldn't they bulk? Just a bit at least, making them walk around at ~180-190 lbs before dieting down, then cutting for the 170 WW fight.

Yeah it makes sense from a "no one will miss weight" and no one will kill themselves making weight standpoint clearly, a health standpoint. But there's a reason people cut in the first place - the competitive edge, the size, the strength. So people would just get the edge and bulk a bit then make an easy (easier) cut than they previously had to 155 anyway. People will always take the edge.

what if one is 5 lbs overweight? does the other have to fight him anyway or does he have the choice to quit in the cage with gloves on and mouthguard in?

Just the same as it is now but the person who misses by that much is banned at that weight class for 2 years. Also, others who miss weight give up an increased amount of their purse to their opponent

If one is overweight they are disqualified and the other gets an easy win. It’s called losing on the scale.

Three options:

Best for the fans - fighter who did not miss weight gets to poke the other one in the eye and kick him in the balls, and then the fight starts.

Best for the failed fighter - Loses half his purse, and if he wins, it is ruled a NC

Best for the fighter doing the right thing - Automatic DQ loss for the one who missed weight.

If one is overweight they are disqualified and the other gets an easy win. It’s called losing on the scale.
so you thiink a fighter thats a lready in teh cage with his mouthguard in will just accept that the other is DQ'ed? Do you know how fighters menatlity work?

Best for the fighter doing the right thing - Automatic DQ loss for the one who missed weight.

just sit down and think about the desasters that will happen, when great matchups get cancelled right in the cage in front of the fans...

just sit down and think about the desasters that will happen, when great matchups get cancelled right in the cage in front of the fans...
That's why I gave three options. Obviously, anyone missing weight at any time creates a disaster for fans or their opponents who are forced to fight unfair fights. Using that as an excuse to avoid harsher penalties though just perpetuates the problem. If you pick the harshest penalty possible, there would be some growing pains, but the vast majority of fighters would learn that the costs of fucking up far outweigh the benefits of trying to get as close to the max weight as possible.

Back