Mat time

B

bjjbobby

I've been training Bjj for just over a year now. The gym I train at is new, been there since day one. Right now we only train 2 days a week. Any ideas how I can get more mat time? I'm not interested in leaving my current gym. It is 5 min from where I live and the price is right.

Where do you live? Find another school in your area and if you have the time/money join up. More mat time is good mat time.

Got a garage? Buy some mats. Me and my friend went half for 10x10 puzzle mats...cost like $110 total.

I live in Indianapolis, well just outside Indy. Can't afford two gyms, and I've been with this one since day one. I feel a since of loyalty to my instructor. I am one of two guys that was there the day he opened his doors. I don't want to jump ship. I mean how can he grow his school if the students who plan on sticking around jump ship.

I live in Indianapolis, well just outside Indy. Can't afford two gyms, and I've been with this one since day one. I feel a since of loyalty to my instructor. I am one of two guys that was there the day he opened his doors. I don't want to jump ship. I mean how can he grow his school if the students who plan on sticking around jump ship.

Well as another poster said buy some mats and invite over your classmates to do some rolling in the garage.

Mats

Zebra have good quality mats at a good price, all you need is a puzzle or roll out mat and you're all set to tap out fools.

Last edited:
maybe ask your instructor about having an open mat during the week. there's probably other gym members who want more mat time as well.

sure enough, as others said, he should want to try and accomodate you if you ask him to open up at least another day or two for more mat time. is there something that prevents him from opening up more days?

We do have open mat about 2x a month on a Sat. I don't have a garage and don't think my wife would appreciate mats in the livingroom of our tiny apartment. But I can ask the other guys if they want to go in on some mats, if any of them have a garage. That is a good idea. I thought about trying free classes at other school, but kinda feel that's wrong.

sure enough, as others said, he should want to try and accomodate you if you ask him to open up at least another day or two for more mat time. is there something that prevents him from opening up more days?

Time and money. He has a full time job and rents the room we use as our gym, its in a dance studio. He doesn't have a store front or building to himself. Like I said it's a new school, only been open a year.

Time and money. He has a full time job and rents the room we use as our gym, its in a dance studio. He doesn't have a store front or building to himself. Like I said it's a new school, only been open a year.

Get a group together and see if you can add another day. Maybe at a increased rate to cover his costs.

Growing a school at 2 days a week is going to be tricky as it will be hard to stay competitive without at least a 3rd day.

If that's not a option find another space. Mat someones basement or garage. If the weather is nice find a big tarp and throw it down in a field and roll on that (might even get a few people walking by to stop and grab brochures)

good ol mats out doors under a tarp is how the Brazilians seem to do it in some places from the pictures I see on here.

Back