Mat fees?

HockeyBjj

Putting on the foil
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Wondering what a typical mat fee is for dropping in at a place for an evening class and roll when traveling for work or something.

Place I just went to charged 15. That normal? Guess I was expecting more like 5 or 10 but what do I know as this was my first time

depending on the gym location. Obviously a gym like MG in NYC is going to charge more than BJJ Joe Shack in Alabama

$20 is the standard for places that actually charge

$20 is pretty standard even overseas. Sometimes I've had the mat fee waived and other times it hasn't been waived.

I charge $15 and will buy you a beer or a soft drink after training.

I've never heard of anything over 20 so everything below that would be normal.

I haven't gone to a big name place yet but have dropped in on about 5 places and have yet to be charged even at places that advertise mat fees. I have found that if you just walk in and talk to the instructor they are usually more excited about getting someone new for their students to roll with than anything else. Some of the smaller places told me I could come train for free with them anytime I was in town.

I drop $40 whenever I go to Marcelo's I think 10th Planet was $30

Free or $5-$10 depending on the gym and its reputation! In Houston, Tx you'll find plenty of free open mats just depending where you want to go based on time and date.

I haven't gone to a big name place yet but have dropped in on about 5 places and have yet to be charged even at places that advertise mat fees. I have found that if you just walk in and talk to the instructor they are usually more excited about getting someone new for their students to roll with than anything else. Some of the smaller places told me I could come train for free with them anytime I was in town.

I travel a lot and do drop-ins whenever I can (in Europe). Usually I will just write the person in charge beforehand and ask for permission to come for a visit. Normally the coaches are excited to have new guys for a day and they won't charge anything and even offer me to come for free for a whole week or even two if I am in town.

The only time I get charged for drop-ins is when the gym owners who do not have anything to do with BJJ say so. Most coaches are glad to have visits.

After this experience, I would not go to a gym with a drop-in fee unless it is to attend the lesson of some world champ or big name.

I think I paid $40 or $50 to train at Gracie Academy.

At my school everyone gets a free week. It doesn't matter if you are visiting from out of town or trying out the school to see if you want to join.

Ok thanks. Like I said I wasn't sure. 15 dollars seems pretty normal and fair, it's just gonna get a bit steep to train ~3 days a week when traveling 3/4 of the weeks this summer.

Ok thanks. Like I said I wasn't sure. 15 dollars seems pretty normal and fair, it's just gonna get a bit steep to train ~3 days a week when traveling 3/4 of the weeks this summer.

If you're going to be around for a week, tell them that ahead of time. They will probably sell you a week of classes cheaper than by the day.

Don't you think if your an upper belt say brown or black that the mat fee should be waved? I've paid 20 to even 40 bucks in the past. The longer you are around this game the more and more it seems like it's all about money.

Don't you think if your an upper belt say brown or black that the mat fee should be waved? I've paid 20 to even 40 bucks in the past. The longer you are around this game the more and more it seems like it's all about money.

you gotta pay to play. BJJ school is a business

Anything over 10 bucks ----> I'm going to lift weights instead.

I still charged mat fees to visitors (even if they are brown belt). You have to pay bills and stuff like that.

also, if someone is planning to come down and expect to train for free because he is a high belt, he is likely to have an ego problem.

Back