Masvidal's Next Fight Discussed by His Manager

Who do you want to see Masvidal fight next?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Breakout welterweight star Jorge Masvidal is too big for Conor McGregor, according to UFC president Dana White. But his manager hasn’t given up on a money fight.

It could be McGregor, another marquee opponent like Nate Diaz – set to return against Anthony Pettis – or a shot at Kamaru Usman’s title belt. But Masvidal will get his due, Abe Kawa told MMA Junkie on Friday.

“I know for a fact that the next phone call we get (from the UFC) is either, ‘You want to fight Conor, you want to fight Nate, or do you know want to fight Usman?'” Kawa said.

Earlier this week, White nixed Masvidal (34-13 UFC, 11-6 UFC) as a potential opponent for McGregor (21-4 MMA, 9-2 UFC), citing the Irish star’s natural weight deficit despite a pair of blockbusters against Diaz at 170 pounds. White also said McGregor wouldn’t face the winner of an upcoming lightweight title unifier between undisputed champion Khabib Nurmagomedov and interim champ Dustin Poirier in September.

The UFC boss’ statement came after Kawa said Masvidal would only accept a fight with McGregor or a title fight. But there’s a lot that can happen between now and 2020, when McGregor is expected to return. Kawa believes White’s stance isn’t an end-all roadblock.

“God bless Dana, he’s protecting Conor,” Kawa said. “He wants to make sure Conor doesn’t get his ass whooped. And that’s fine.”

One thing is for sure: Masvidal’s stock is higher than ever following the fastest knockout in UFC history against Ben Askren at UFC 239. This past month, Kawa targeted client Pettis for McGregor. One flying knee changed everything, and now all options are on the table.

“He’s crossed over into that sphere of Conor and Nate,” Kawa said of Masvidal.

Masvidal’s fight with Askren was for a “guaranteed title shot,” Kawa noted. Yet the UFC has informed Team Masvidal that hinges on the result of an Aug. 3 headliner between ex-champs Robbie Lawler and Colby Covington.

“If (Colby) beats Robbie, and he gets the next title shot, we’re OK,” Kawa said. “We already knew this going into the fight. We knew where we were placement wise. I just think it’s kind of sad that they would do any fight before Jorge. I think you’ve got to strike while the iron is hot, and you get the hottest fight there is possible, and that has to be Jorge vs. Usman.”

Kawa said more UFC fans would tune in to see Masvidal than Covington. And that, in turn, would present a more attractive option to Usman, whose financial future is tied to pay-per-view performance.

“Colby’s a fight that people look at and they’re like, ‘We’re going to deal with the terrible promos,'” Kawa said. “Some people enjoy it. I don’t want to (expletive) on his schtick that he’s got going on.

“I’m looking at it from a fan’s perspective, and I think fans want to watch Jorge fight. I don’t think they care who he fights. They just want to see him fight. If I’m Usman, I want to get the most views possible. I’m not going to Colby. I’m going to Jorge.”

There’s also the prospect of a title eliminator between Masvidal and Covington. The longtime friends and training partners have agreed to face off only if a belt is on the line. But Covington first has to beat Lawler.

“If Robbie wins, then it’s a shoe-in that Jorge gets (the title shot),” Kawa said.

Masvidal said he’s the right choice as Usman’s next challenger, but he won’t pander to the UFC to make it happen. If the promotion winds up changing its mind on McGregor, they know where to find him.

“He said all he would do is make sure he makes weight,” Kawa said. “He has no reason to train for a Conor fight. He said that’s the easiest money he would ever make. He feels there’s nowhere Conor can touch him. He’s a better striker, a better grappler, a better all-around MMA fighter.”

-MMAJunkie

Last edited:
Luque, EZDS, Ponz, or even Leon if he wins.

I want to see him fight for the title. It’s late in his career, he’s not going to be able to make another run. Lawler’s already had the title. No one wants to see Colby hold the title.

The pre-fight trash talk alone would be worth the price of admission. Conor could be throwing a dolly and Jorge throwing heat.

They are very similar in having fasts hands and flashy trash talk.

If there's anyone who deserves a red panty night, it's Masvidal.

Far more than Cerrone for the record

Conor because if he doesn't fight soon the UFC Will be a thing of the past.

tenor.gif

LOL at gamebread panhandling for money. Conor should blast him on how he has no honour challenging guys down a weight division instead of testing himself against bigger competition. He should force him to say please mr mcgregor. Conor is in a position of power here.

Just give him the title fight, no one has brought more eyes to the promotion than Jorge this year, he deserves to be rewarded.

The Nate fight would be fun at some point, but right now he's not relevant, and hasn't slashed Jorge's tires or eaten his lunch. There is no beef to leverage. If/when Masvidal's title run fails, then. He'd be a big name on equal footing with Nate who's title run also failed.

If Colby loses to Lawler, give him Colby (if he wins he's obviously gonna fight Usman). If Masvidal wins that one he can have his title shot. Jorge now has two wins over legitimate welterweight contenders in a row but that's not enough for a fight against Usman. Covington and Woodley are still ahead of him in that line.
Damn. Considering all the names I've just listed, this reminds me of how awful the welterweight division is at the moment...

The idea of him fighting McGregor is ridiculous, Jorge's a welterweight contender and McGregor ranges between featherweight and lightweight. Calling out people from a lower weight class remains a cowardly move. Nate's also a lightweight, even if he'd have an easier time making 170 than Conor.

Masvidal vs Ponzinibbio would be an idea.

Why isn’t he fighting Edwards. That just seems to make sense. Am I wrong?

Back