Masvidal vs McGregor for 165lbs Championship?

Matthew Fedler

Professional Fighter
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
It makes too much sense, and would incentivize Khabib to accept the Conor rematch in order to become a double champ.

the 165 division won't happen, the goof doesnt want it, and the masvidal vs conor fight won't happen too, conor doesnt seem to want it and the goof don't want it at all.

Conor's next fight will be either diaz 3 or gaethje both at 170.

The key factor here is conor, if he truly want to fight masvidal, he will. If the fight doesnt happen, it is that he is the one not wanting to fight Masvidal.

Now why would he not want to fight the current most hyped fighter in the UFC with probably the biggest pay day ever in the UFC ?

Anyone can give his own answer to this question ...

Last edited:
If Conor wants it
It will happen

It makes too much sense, and would incentivize Khabib to accept the Conor rematch in order to become a double champ.
Here's what I think will happen (let's just assume Khabib beats Tony, and that's obviously to-be-seen) :
1. Dana Tomat-ahh will offer Khabib large money to fight McG again. He'll threaten him, bully him, insult him, lean on him, try to do everything he can.
2. If Khabib plain refuses, THEN I think Dana creates 165lb division and instantly gives McG that shot against NATE DIAZ as Nate is beatable, and it's a very nice weight-class for McG (who hates cutting to 155lbs).
3. McG (again let's assume this) beats Nate Diaz, and then goes CHAMP CHAMP CHAMP to the entire world endlessly.

This has the effect of neatly :
1. Avoiding another loss to Khabib. plus avoiding having to pay Khabib monstrous money.
2. Avoiding the whole Usman fight, which McG would lose.
3. Gives McG a relatively easy fight to another belt (145, 155, 165)

Don't believe a word of it when Dana Tomat-ahh said 165lbs never gonna happen. He's gonna do whatever the fuck he wants to maximize his Irish money-machine.

the 165 division won't happen, the goof doesnt want it, and the masvidal vs conor fight won't happen too, conor and the goof don't want it.

Conor's next fight will be either diaz 3 or gaethje both at 170.
That's certainly what multiple interviews yesterday suggest.

It's amazing to me that Dana & Conor can upend generations of combat sports weight class norms/standards by defining 170 fights as "155 fights without weight cuts" and thereby making them pertinent to a 155 title fight. Ali's insistence that Conor can, should and will be allowed to fight other LWs at 170 up until a 155 title shot is against everything we've ever been taught about how competition works.

Put it under the "life sure is funny sometimes" umbrella and let it go, I suppose.

Exactly it makes too much sense. Dana doesn’t like doing sensible things, especially recently.

The phrase too much sense makes no sense.
How would a division 5lbs lighter be logical?

A 165lb division will never be created with the 170lb division being left as is.

The phrase too much sense makes no sense.
How would a division 5lbs lighter be logical?

165 and 175. I guess force Usman to move up as 175 champ.

I think 15lbs in the lower weight classes is a huge jump. Every 10lbs until like 185lb sounds better. Maybe 195 one day when the divisions get more stacked.

Makes too much sense. GSP could come back and fight the winner.

If they create a 165lb division then Khabib should be the first to fight for it and he beats anyone else who can make 165.

The CC division "Conor Class" where he's the champ and only champ any loss is a instant run it back until he gets the belt back, DO IT!

165 and 175. I guess force Usman to move up as 175 champ.

I think 15lbs in the lower weight classes is a huge jump. Every 10lbs until like 185lb sounds better. Maybe 195 one day when the divisions get more stacked.
The part that gets me is the UFC loves belts. Hell, at this point they make imaginary belts just to sell PPVs. So why are they so hell bent on not making another division in a spot that makes total sense and have another belt out there?

So there would be only a 5 lb separation between the new division and WW? Or is the idea to shift the latter?

If it makes sense, Dana isn't doing it.
Logic =\= Dana.
/end thread.

165? Just make the weight whatever McGregor feels like weighing at and if you beat him you get a belt. This way Conor can actually defend one.

Back