Masvidal is overrated

If he had come over in 2012 possibly. Given he had retired a year and a half before joining the UFC in large part due to a seriously fucked up hip (which he recently had surgery on), I was hopeful but frankly didn't expect too much.
The thread that have popped up over the last several days since the news about Askren joining the UFC have been pretty funny but also a bit confusing.

Before this week, posters here fell into one of 3 categories:

1. Hardcore fans like myself and a few others (like Arm Barbarian)

2. Sherdoggers who had no idea who he was because they have no idea what MMA looks like outside of the UFC (my favorite comment the other night was "Askren should go try to be the champ of Bellator or something....")

3. The rest that basically felt that Askren was boring because Dana White said he was 5 years ago, that he was never that good because he avoided the UFC (because they never bothered to find out the backstory as to how he got shafted)... etc.

Now we have:

1. Fans like myself that are happy he finally got his shot in the the UFC and are looking forward to him invigorating the WW division.

2. Haters that feel he never beat anyone good (ironically usually the same fans who have no clue who any fighter is outside of the UFC

3. Critics who feel he is going to get destroyed by every single fighter in the UFC for a variety of bizarre reasons.

4. Critics who indicate he is boring AF and will continue to bore (see above, probably the same fans)

There have been at least 8 that I counted threads about how "Askren was getting owned by Santos in their 2 minute fight!" or "Hieron beat Askren!"

Are UFC fans really that dumb/hard to please that they simply can't be glad we got another quality fighter added to the roster? Or that a guy that spent years campaigning to get into the UFC finally gets to achieve his dream?

For the record, he has never failed a drug test, never missed weight, never pulled out of a fight due to injury. How many fighters in the UFC can currently say the same?

Are you sure you didn’t expect much?

winning and defending a belt is better than no title fights. in 2019 jorge beat who old askrew and nate so how those wins make jorge the goat.
They do. Accept your new overlord.

Mas is right near the top of the div.
Dont know how you think otherwise.
He already lost to Usman, he would probably lose to Gilbert, Colby, and Leon, might also lose to Magny and Khamzat. He’s a bottom top 10 talent. Nothing special, certainly not nearly as good as his following indicates. Besides the Diaz brothers he might be one of the most overrated fighters ever.

He already lost to Usman, he would probably lose to Gilbert, Colby, and Leon, might also lose to Magny and Khamzat. He’s a bottom top 10 talent. Nothing special, certainly not nearly as good as his following indicates. Besides the Diaz brothers he might be one of the most overrated fighters ever.
What is this probably shit,get the fuck out of here. Till it happens go kick rocks bud

At first I was a skeptic about Masvidal 2.0, but he definitely improved over the last few years and started fighting to his potential (Till, Askren and Nate). In the past he lost quite a few close fights (mostly SDs) due to passivity and letting his opponents dictate how the fight went. That said, Usman is just a bad match-up for him. It's too bad Mas can't fight comfortably at LW. I think he'd have a good shot of beating anyone in that division now that Khabib is gone. Gaethje, Conor and Poirier would be great fights for him...and the fans.

What is this probably shit,get the fuck out of here. Till it happens go kick rocks bud
throwing a tantrum won’t change the fact that Masvidal is a journeyman. Fuckin lost to Al Iaquinta lol.

MASVIDAL IS ONE OF THE BEST WW OF THE WORLD ! ( top 3 easy )
He is in his absolute prime

Here's a thick slice of cheese for y'alls Horhay Masvidal Hateburger

An 11-year old fight. That's even less relevant than somoene bringing up Bendo Henderon's 2007 submission loss to Rocky Johnson when Bendo was the UFC champ in 2012-13.

Some of the same people slamming Masvidal for losing fights years ago talk about Douglas Lima like he's a WW GOAT...despite the fact that Lima has lost 25% of his MMA fights including a KO loss to Matt Brown and 3 or 4 random journeymen.

Not if you understand how rankings work.

He beat Till and Askren when they were ranked in the top 3, both spectacular finishes.

- Till has proven to be able to hang with the elite guys at MW so that win aged well.

- Askren got slept by Maia and retired, that win did not age well but rankings are based more on what the opponents perceived standing was at the time of the win and like it or not, Ben was coming off a “win” against former champ Robbie Lawler.

Reactions: mkt
MASVIDAL IS ONE OF THE BEST WW OF THE WORLD ! ( top 3 easy )
He is in his absolute prime
See this dude knows. Ask him next time!

Not if you understand how rankings work.

He beat Till and Askren when they were ranked in the top 3, both spectacular finishes.

- Till has proven to be able to hang with the elite guys at MW so that win aged well.

- Askren got slept by Maia and retired, that win did not age well but rankings are based more on what the opponents perceived standing was at the time of the win and like it or not, Ben was coming off a “win” against former champ Robbie Lawler.

Yep, and Askren was an "undefeated" two-org champ who had much of Sherdog convinced he was a legit title contender.

An 11-year old fight. That's even less relevant than somoene bringing up Bendo Henderon's 2007 submission loss to Rocky Johnson when Bendo was the UFC champ in 2012-13.

yet somehow every week leading up to a Masvidal fight that clip is posted in every Masvidal thread ad nauseum here, 11 years later, it's still the go to clip.

Just wanted to feed some of those that are hungry for Mas hateburgers

Reactions: mkt
Yep, and Askren was an "undefeated" two-org champ who had much of Sherdog convinced he was a legit title contender.
If he hadnt landed that flying knee,for sure he would have got put in the ASKRENLOCK,of which there is no escape

Who is great in the WW div?
I'd put Usman in that category. Not because he's exciting but because he wins and has wins over top talent in his division. I remember seeing a picture of a top ten and it was mostly names he beat in the ww. He beat almost everyone in the top ten when that photo was released.

He's a klitschko type of guy. Not exciting. I don't even think he's a generational talent but he's great. He hasn't beat any generational talent no gsp, no Conor even. No big dogs. His pool of talent is less than gsp era in some degree. He's still great though.

If he beats burns, he's 13-0 in ufc just like khabib and ties gsp winstreak

I'd put Usman in that category. Not because he's exciting but because he wins and has wins over top talent in his division. I remember seeing a picture of a top ten and it was mostly names he beat in the ww. He beat almost everyone in the top ten when that photo was released.

He's a klitschko type of guy. Not exciting. I don't even think he's a generational talent but he's great. He hasn't beat any generational talent no gsp, no Conor even. No big dogs. His pool of talent is less than gsp era in some degree. He's still great though.

If he beats burns, he's 13-0 in ufc just like khabib and ties gsp winstreak
Thats fine,but when someone says mas is good but not great,im curious about who is great that they are talking about?

He's a brawler that has good enough skills off his back to make every fight against a wrestler a snooze fest.

They do. Accept your new overlord.

funny how when usman beats old fighters the mob call usman a bum but jorge beats overrated guys an there seen as goat wins.

6 days notice bud. Won the first rd bud
Got tired bud. EPO bud.

jorge had always been training so that doesnt change that usman beat him with no trouble at all.

Back