Media Masvidal announces he's fighting Usman in September

Masvidal will get bashed for getting this fight but good for him. It’s his reward for stepping in on short notice for their first fight. Unfortunately, I don’t see too much going different. He’s really solid in all areas of fighting, but I don’t see that difference maker in his arsenal where he could beat somebody elite like Usman. He basically has to try to make it a dog fight and hope Usman makes a big mistake. He may be able to stop Usmans takedowns in small spurts, but will eventually have to figure out how to get off his back, where he is fundamentally solid, but doesn’t have the sub game to cause Usman big concern. Masvidal has to win early when he usually fights his best, but i see another dominant decision by Usman.
He could cut him early with ground elbows !

Usman on tuf is terrible. His personality is cringe.

Wait, maybe that's a good thing
im afraid i have agree and i am Usman fan..great fighter and excellent champ but.. really doesnt have a charismatic personality to be doing TUF

Remember when the 'rankings' remotely made a difference??

Haha, good times!!

I don’t understand why they want to push TUF so bad this year, definitely won’t be the same as the previous seasons due to covid, every weekend it’s at least 2 fights pulled off cards last minute because of corona, they should just focus on contenders series. There were a lot of great fights and prospects to come off contender series last year too.

Fekkin September?

Wow!

Wonderboy deserved the fight imo

You guys are unbelievable.

Wonderboy's best win is Masvidal, and that was in 2017... Since then, he is 2-2 with losses vs Till and Pettis.
Since losing to Thompson, Masvidal is 3-1 with his only loss being vs Usman ...on 6 days notice. Can you at least make an effort to be reasonable?

Wonderboy's best win is Masvidal, and that was in 2017... Since then, he is 2-2 with losses vs Till and Pettis.
Since losing to Thompson, Masvidal is 3-1 with his only loss being vs Usman ...on 6 days notice. Can you at least make an effort to be reasonable?

Till arguably won Rd 5 and that's it against WB. Horrible hometown decision in a boring let down fight.

September? Goddamn. What's the hold up. Usman might as well take another fight in between unless he don't wanna fight til then either

TUF filming and I can guarantee you Usman is happy to have the extended break he has thrash knees that he has to always heal. Theres stories about him having to walk up stairs backwards and having pain when he walks on pavement

Because WB got robbed vs Woodley and Till and context matters. Jorge just lost to Usman badly. Nothing that happened in that fight made anybody believe that Jorge can win.

WB also smoked Jorge and made him look like he couldn't strike. Usman held him against the cage for dear life.

Till arguably won Rd 5 and that's it against WB. Horrible hometown decision in a boring let down fight.

Boring let down fights don’t earn you title shots. Neither does getting KTFO by Pettis.

I like Wonderboy when he dismantles and finishes people, but the fact is that he turns into a boring point fighter in most of his main event outings: Woodley both times, Till - he turned Wonderbunt in all those fights.

Because WB got robbed vs Woodley and Till and context matters. Jorge just lost to Usman badly. Nothing that happened in that fight made anybody believe that Jorge can win.

WB also smoked Jorge and made him look like he couldn't strike. Usman held him against the cage for dear life.

All these excuses for WB losing his boring point fights, but no ‘context’ whatsoever for Masvidal’s performance on 6 days notice. Why am I not surprised.

TUF filming and I can guarantee you Usman is happy to have the extended break he has thrash knees that he has to always heal. Theres stories about him having to walk up stairs backwards and having pain when he walks on pavement
Damn that's fucked. His fighting peak might be short lived then

Masvidal will get bashed for getting this fight but good for him. It’s his reward for stepping in on short notice for their first fight. Unfortunately, I don’t see too much going different. He’s really solid in all areas of fighting, but I don’t see that difference maker in his arsenal where he could beat somebody elite like Usman. He basically has to try to make it a dog fight and hope Usman makes a big mistake. He may be able to stop Usmans takedowns in small spurts, but will eventually have to figure out how to get off his back, where he is fundamentally solid, but doesn’t have the sub game to cause Usman big concern. Masvidal has to win early when he usually fights his best, but i see another dominant decision by Usman.

Yeah, the fight lacks drama IMO.

That’s why I love watching Conor, either he starches you or he starts gassing, and even then, you got to watch out for that occasionally left hand. He can win big or lose depending on the night which makes his fights exciting, since he’s not 100% in all areas of MMA (namely cardio and well-rounded offensive skills).

All these excuses for WB losing his boring point fights, but no ‘context’ whatsoever for Masvidal’s performance on 6 days notice. Why am I not surprised.
So Mas deserves to get an immediate rematch on the back of that terrible loss in a boring point fight?

Lol and people talk about Usman surpassing gsp. Two defenses against a journeyman lw.

<36>

He may be able to stop Usmans takedowns in small spurts, but will eventually have to figure out how to get off his back, where he is fundamentally solid, but doesn’t have the sub game to cause Usman big concern.

How has the idea that Masvidal can be easily controlled on the ground taken root on Sherdog? He got controlled by Maia and who else? How many times did Masvidal find himself on his back vs Usman? How long did this last?

If you say that Usman can pin Mas to the cage, or even that he is a massive favorite, I get it and consider it reasonable. Saying that he will control him on the ground is simply not based in fact. It’s an empty sherdog refrain.

Another thing: A guy who choked out Chiesa doesn’t have the sub game to catch Usman?...

There is a reason why Usman chose wall-and-stall the first time around. Maybe he does not share Sherdoggia’s assessment of Masvidal’s sub game?

So Mas deserves to get an immediate rematch on the back of that terrible loss in a boring point fight?

You like to talk about context - Please go on and study the context of that fight.

Also, Masvidal flatlined Askren, Till and mauled Diaz. What has WB done since beating Masvidal?

Back