Television MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE: REVELATION (Dragonlord's Review, post #1)

If you have seen MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE: REVELATION, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Yeah, I've seen this type of shit on Nickelodeon at least three times a day.

Out of likes but that's funny

Smith described this is as Metal, what a joke.

He was making this for OG fans, according to him, and I expected it to be targeted for the new generation as well, something for parents and kids to enjoy together.

Targetting this for woke retards is madness. I can't imagine anyone genuinely liking this on its merits.

I shouldn't surprised at woke subversion from Hollyweird, but I didn't think they'd have He-Man out of action for 90% of the show. Even Skeletor was MIA for too much.

It should have been He-Man and Teela kicking ass together, they were actually a good pair the rare moments we saw them, and Teela was already a built in badass.

Teela was like the gf from Invincivle, completely unlikable. He-Man was done well, but poor Adam. The soyfest continues.

Tesla's greatest fear was
being afraid to be awesome lmao

Kevin Smith would have trashed this years ago, how do you have a He-Man show without He-Man? Wtf lol

2 out of 10, only above a zero for the decent animation. Powerhouse did a better job with Castlevania, but I didn't have much an issue with it here.

Teela was like the gf from Invincivle, completely unlikable.

I actually like Mark's girlfriend from Invincible, it was the overtop gayer-than-gay "WE HAD SEX" friend that was extremely annoying.

I'm surprised there wasn't any complaints from gay activists saying "We want representation in animated shows, but not THAT kind of representation in shows!"

This show wasn't really intended for adults, lol. All you crying about it is kind of funny. "Muh cartoon!"
Nah, it was supposed to be this sophisticated updating of He-Man. He said as much; he thought this was going to be him deconstructing, maturing and improving the show. I think if they'd kept kids in mind it might have been a lot better.

Anyone think that this cartoon is sort of a bad rehash of the original She-Ra storyline? A woman has to step up to the plate when He-Man was disabled, she ends up essentially becoming a female version of He-Man...? Except it didn't undermine He-Man at all and didn't lead to fans rejecting She-Ra? It is just weird to me that they are doing all of this when She-Ra actually exists. Though I guess in this continuity she doesn't.

What would have been interesting to me, if you wanted to do an "adult" He-Man, is to give a little more time to Adora's transformation from stone-cold killer for Hordak to the noble resistance fighter/superhero she becomes when she realizes her true parentage and transforms into She-Ra for the first time. Or, to explore that whole spooky Keldor/Skeletor plot from the mini-comics that never really got resolved.

Is Snarf in it? ;)

I haven't seen it but I give it a 10 b/c He-Man is awesome

Ok, I've watched the first episode, knowing the rumors/leaks are true, and I have previously never watched any episodes of the original show.
It was a bit before my time, so take my opinion with that context.

The first episode is very entertaining.

Animation is 10/10.
Musical score is 10/10.
The voiceacting is 9/10.

Everyone here is on point with Mark Hamill and Lena Headey as Skeletor and his sorceress. Can't remember his name but the guy that played 'The Onion Knight' in Game of Thrones narrates the opening crawl and does the voice of Teela's father.

The animation is perfect. This show, Invincible, and Castlevania are the damn standard for every animated series to be at least as good as. The animation alone nearly makes this worth watching.

As for the story... its alright (keep in mind I've only watched the first episode and nothing of the original show) so I don't know much about the lore, how the original series ended, or even how old the characters are supposed to be. So I didn't expect much and my expectations were fulfilled. I wasn't expecting this to be the new animated Game of Thrones.

One thing that I really did like is Skeltor is pretty menacing. Of the clips I have seen of the original show Skeltor is..... lame. He's a coward that's no match for He-Man so he's easily defeated and scurries away only because He-Man doesn't kill him because killing is wrong (its a kid's show.) He's practically the butt of every joke in the original series, but here he's not quite a badass but has presence. Hell, he beat Teela and was about to kill her before He-Man was the deus ex machina to save her. (Kinda surprised to have seen that in this new feminist version of the show)

Anyway, I'm giving the voiceacting a 9/10 because Teela's voiceactress makes her sound like a complete bitch right away even when she's not supposed to sound like a bitch. Piss-poor voice direction.

Anyway, the rest was pretty good, but I have a strong feeling this was the best episode of the five so I have very low expectations for them to be decent. After all, now that He-Man is gone its the Teela show.

Lets see how bad it gets.

Ok, I've watched the first episode, knowing the rumors/leaks are true, and I have previously never watched any episodes of the original show.
It was a bit before my time, so take my opinion with that context.
Actually, Skeletor was a great character. It sounds like he wasn't what you expected him to be, but I think if you had seen more of him, you'd have had a sense of why people loved him so much. He is definitely cowardly and conniving, but he's actually also pretty ingenious at times and so mean and petty that he's actually hilarious. In the context of the world of He-Man, he's a perfect counter-balance to He-Man and She-Ra. When he finally ends up redeeming himself in the final episode of the original series (a Christmas special) it is both funny and even a little touching.

He's actually inspired by Thulsa Doom, King Kull's adversary, and like Doom, he's not a warrior, but a scheming sorcerer, so he's not really supposed to be physically formidable in the same way that a Darkseid, Darth Vader-type might be. He was the protege of She-Ra's main antagonist, Hordak, but he ended up going his own way when he became more interested in sorcery than science. Hordak, on death's door, could only be saved with a tear and She-Ra, being unfailingly compassionate, sought out his old student to see if he'd shed a tear for him. Skeletor did no such thing, and it made, I think, for a pretty interesting moment.

Basically, a lot of your take on him is right, but I think if you really see the character within his context, you'll see why people got such a kick out of him, even to the point of him being the favorite character.

Actually, Skeletor was a great character. It sounds like he wasn't what you expected him to be, but I think if you had seen more of him, you'd have had a sense of why people loved him so much. He is definitely cowardly and conniving, but he's actually also pretty ingenious at times and so mean and petty that he's actually hilarious. In the context of the world of He-Man, he's a perfect counter-balance to He-Man and She-Ra. When he finally ends up redeeming himself in the final episode of the original series (a Christmas special) it is both funny and even a little touching.

He's actually inspired by Thulsa Doom, King Kull's adversary, and like Doom, he's not a warrior, but a scheming sorcerer, so he's not really supposed to be physically formidable in the same way that a Darkseid, Darth Vader-type might be. He was the protege of She-Ra's main antagonist, Hordak, but he ended up going his own way when he became more interested in sorcery than science. Hordak, on death's door, could only be saved with a tear and She-Ra, being unfailingly compassionate, sought out his old student to see if he'd shed a tear for him. Skeletor did no such thing, and it made, I think, for a pretty interesting moment.

Basically, a lot of your take on him is right, but I think if you really see the character within his context, you'll see why people got such a kick out of him, even to the point of him being the favorite character.

Alrighty then, thank you for the context.

Now I'm wondering why She-Ra hasn't made an appearance or even mentioned in the first two episodes of the Netflix series.

I just finished the 2nd episode, and basically my only comment about it is Teela is now just a butch lesbian.

Reminds me of...

45ccb4c6affffbaa01a501ddb64dd308.jpg

I can see why fans of the original series are hating this show.

Now I'm wondering why She-Ra hasn't made an appearance or even mentioned in the first two episodes of the Netflix series.

I just finished the 2nd episode, and basically my only comment about it is Teela is now just a butch lesbian.

Reminds me of...

I thought the lack of She-Ra references was weird too. She does live on another world--she was separated from her parents at birth, sort of in a Star Wars-esque manner--but obviously, He-Man's death, among other things, would more than occasion her presence. I guess because the Netflix She-Ra cartoon basically started a new continuity for the character, they have to essentially wipe her from this new He-Man continuity.

It's weird and kind of redundant to me, to have this woman who is essentially fulfilling the same role She-Ra.

As far as the animation, I think it is good in a formal sense, but I don't feel like it has the same energy, imagination and power coursing through it that the classic He-Man artwork did. Also, Evil-Lyn does not need to be that jacked. She's a sorceress, not a warrior. And Beastman's new design is awful, IMO.

Sorta off-topic, but you seen Blood of Zeus? That's a Netflix original cartoon that really delivered for me. Basically demons trying to take over Earth in ancient times, while the gods connive and scheme against each other and mankind tries to survive. Magic swords, ripped heroes, demonic bad-guys...it's pretty cool.

As far as the animation, I think it is good in a formal sense, but I don't feel like it has the same energy, imagination and power coursing through it that the classic He-Man artwork did.

Guess I'm just thankful its not the anime style of animation that has infected western animation over the last two decades.

Don't get me wrong, there's been a few good animes but for me its a speedbump for me to get into a series. This style of animation (Castlevania, Invincible, and He-Man) is significantly superior.

Also, Evil-Lyn does not need to be that jacked. She's a sorceress, not a warrior.

Since this is now a feminist series, every woman has got to be jacked apparently.

Sorta off-topic, but you seen Blood of Zeus? That's a Netflix original cartoon that really delivered for me. Basically demons trying to take over Earth in ancient times, while the gods connive and scheme against each other and mankind tries to survive. Magic swords, ripped heroes, demonic bad-guys...it's pretty cool.

Haven't heard of it until you mentioned it but I just watched a trailer and I think I'm already sold on it.

Anything with ancient greek gods, titans, and demi-gods trying to kill Zeus I am all-in because I'm a huge fan of...

OIP.F4kVjcDDhQWkRzXq5kb4agHaNJ

Reminds me of...

E7B4MzCUcAEJg_v

Im sure there will be many more memes incoming; its ripe for it.

I actually like Mark's girlfriend from Invincible, it was the overtop gayer-than-gay "WE HAD SEX" friend that was extremely annoying.

I'm surprised there wasn't any complaints from gay activists saying "We want representation in animated shows, but not THAT kind of representation in shows!"

Yeah, the writers beat you over the head that he was gay. It reminded me of that trans character in ME Andromeda that out of the blue discloses her trans nature, lazy writing.

It was really silly when they went to meet his bf at some other campus, and he repeatedly stated that he was a true alpha male, or something along those lines.

Horrible virtue signaling. The show was still great though, unless this trainwreck.

Guess I'm just thankful its not the anime style of animation that has infected western animation over the last two decades.

Don't get me wrong, there's been a few good animes but for me its a speedbump for me to get into a series. This style of animation (Castlevania, Invincible, and He-Man) is significantly superior.

Since this is now a feminist series, every woman has got to be jacked apparently.

Haven't heard of it until you mentioned it but I just watched a trailer and I think I'm already sold on it.

Anything with ancient greek gods, titans, and demi-gods trying to kill Zeus I am all-in because I'm a huge fan of...

OIP.F4kVjcDDhQWkRzXq5kb4agHaNJ
I definitely agree with you about the animation style; I think the style of the animation and the actual technical drawing is awesome, but it just sorta seems uninspired a lot of the time, if that makes sense. I totally prefer this style to the soft-style anime that, as you say, has over-saturated everything (including anime itself).

It is funny, I actually find muscles on a woman attractive, but the way they are doing it here just isn't working for me. I mean, if you want to emphasize that a woman is very strong, there are ways to do it other than just giving her really big arms. And then when practically every woman has big arms, that doesn't even stand out anymore. For a world that's supposed to be full of fantasy super people, a lot of the characters just look so flat. The animation style is great, but the designs and the attitudes combine to make everyone just seem kind of boring.

BTW, if you like Kratos, I think you'll LOVE Blood of Zeus.

Yeah, the writers beat you over the head that he was gay. It reminded me of that trans character in ME Andromeda that out of the blue discloses her trans nature, lazy writing.

It was really silly when they went to meet his bf at some other campus, and he repeatedly stated that he was a true alpha male, or something along those lines.

Horrible virtue signaling. The show was still great though, unless this trainwreck.

I think it was purposely over-the-top in an attempt for it to be comedic.

But the comedy fell flat. That episode is, by a wide margin, the worst of the season. Still a solid 9.5/10 show and that's high praise coming from someone that's getting sick of superhero content.

That said, I actually am enjoying the meta/parody series like Invincible and The Boys. They're awesome in their own right.

It is funny, I actually find muscles on a woman attractive, but the way they are doing it here just isn't working for me. I mean, if you want to emphasize that a woman is very strong, there are ways to do it other than just giving her really big arms. And then when practically every woman has big arms, that doesn't even stand out anymore. For a world that's supposed to be full of fantasy super people, a lot of the characters just look so flat. The animation style is great, but the designs and the attitudes combine to make everyone just seem kind of boring.

When reading this I thought of an Instagram model I follow - Alejandra Gil - her measurements are insane... like a cartoon character... and she's a crossfit athlete, and even she doesn't have arms as large as the women in this show.

Look her up.

BTW, if you like Kratos, I think you'll LOVE Blood of Zeus.

I'll download the series and start watching it tomorrow.

Back