"Masters" of Boxing?

BrokenNose

Orange Belt
Reaction score
First, I will vaguely define a "master" as someone who knows the "art" of boxing in and out. Someone who plays the flawless game of strategy. Of course, I know nothing, so feel free to redefine that all you want.

I don't even know many boxers out there, but of the few I know, I'd like to list Nicolino Locche, Willie Pep, Tommy Loughran, and Charley Burley.

I have foolishly left out many that I have forgotten, or do not know of, which is why I turn to you. Who else is a "master" of boxing?

Archie Moore, Don Familton (he's more of a coach, though), Cus D'Mato (another coach), Daniel Mendoza (pre-Queensbury), John Sullivan (pre-Queensbury), Jack Johnson...

While I'm not a fan I think Bernard Hopkins fits firmly into this. From his ability to skirt the edges of the rules to the way he makes world class fighters fight his bout.

THE Master

And his close second

who you think?

floyd MF mayweather. you cannot deny. his life is boxing. he is boxing. all he knows is boxing. you may think hes a punk thug coward, but shit, he has master all that is professional prizefighting.

also teddy atlas is THE most knowledgable person when it comes to what goes on inside the ring (not so much outside tho)

edit--with floyd i was thinking what goes outside the ring as well. prizefighting as a whole. inside the ring hes a master as well and if you disagree (hate) you dont know dick

who you think?

floyd MF mayweather. you cannot deny. his life is boxing. he is boxing. all he knows is boxing. you may think hes a punk thug coward, but shit, he has master all that is professional prizefighting.

also teddy atlas is THE most knowledgable person when it comes to what goes on inside the ring (not so much outside tho)

edit--with floyd i was thinking what goes outside the ring as well. prizefighting as a whole. inside the ring hes a master as well and if you disagree (hate) you dont know dick

Pacman is better than him, I totally disagree with you.

who you think?

no floyd has yet to prove himself as master fighter or an elite atg.(srr,srl,armstrong level) and teddy atlas has done nothing to even remotely be viewed as the most knowledgable person as to what goes on in the ring.teddy is no futch or roach

I'd say Sugar Ray Robinson. But even more so, i think the most complete boxer was the old Mongoose Archie Moore. Robinsons style had more offensive flash and he was no doubt a master of what he knew. But Archie's flair came from how well he had mastered the craft of Boxing. If you watch Moore fight, you will see almost every trick in the book. Defensive and offensive. Fighters nowadays may only have a couple tricks up their sleeves. Or perhaps their styles are based around one general technique. But to Archie, all of that i truly believe had just become nature. The perfect boxer imo.

I read an interesting interview with Archie where he defines his art of 'Escapology'. He always had a defense move after every offensive advance. Its funny, He even mentioned himself that Ray Robinson wasnt as complete as him. Because Ray didnt or couldnt throw hooks off the jab. It was interesting to hear one master of boxing talking about another.

Another modern day master. Lights out Toney. He would talk about how he would watch old tapes. He especially dug Archies style. And when you watch Toney fight, you can really tell. Alot of the same techniques and movements were mastered and then employed. Its bizarre, sometimes they'll look identical to me.

Last edited:
That's not true.

well im sure Robinson of all people could hook off the jab. But i think Archie was just saying Robinson was not as well rounded. As in blending defense with his offense. The hook Moore mentioned was a check hook. Thats primarily a defensive punch that counter punchers employ imo. So i guess what he was essentially saying was "I can counterpunch AND just plain slaughter motherfuckers." While i guess in his view, Robinson was limited to just plain "slaughtering" people. Thats my speculation.

The current generation of fighters I'd easily say that Mayweather is head and shoulders above the rest. His skill and technique is easily above everyone else. There may be better fighters, but the art of boxing belongs to floyd.

well im sure Robinson of all people could hook off the jab. But i think Archie was just saying Robinson was not as well rounded. As in blending defense with his offense. The hook Moore mentioned was a check hook. Thats primarily a defensive punch that counter punchers employ imo. So i guess what he was essentially saying was "I can counterpunch AND just plain slaughter motherfuckers." While i guess in his view, Robinson was limited to just plain "slaughtering" people. Thats my speculation.

Well he was pretty wrong on that one unfortunately, I mean of course he would say that right. Despite what people might believe Robinson was a good defensive boxer as well. It's just like people trying to say Henry Armstrong was all offense, well that's true to a certain extent because he kept coming forward but his ability to slip punches and roll with them is obviously defense. I love Archie Moore he's a great boxer but in terms of skill he doesn't really compare to Sugar Ray in his prime.

no floyd has yet to prove himself as master fighter or an elite atg.(srr,srl,armstrong level) and teddy atlas has done nothing to even remotely be viewed as the most knowledgable person as to what goes on in the ring.teddy is no futch or roach

But Teddy, as an analyst, has shown that abilty. Teddy is also a brilliant trainer. He is to Cus D'Amato what Freddie Roach is to Futch, IMO. Teddy's problem is on the personal side. He does not have the personality to massage fighter's with big ego's or with little disciplne. In terms of ring knowledge I would put him up there as one of the the top trainers alive.

paul spadafora was a poor man's version of pernell whitaker, he had some good moves

Back