Master Wong using JKD, Wing Chun, and Tai Chi

That's pretty different from what was being shown in the video. First of all, Tito was the one initiating and trapping on the way in, not using it as a defense against an extended punch. Besides that huge difference, Tito really didn't need to do it. He could have gone with a normal trap (left hand just covers the right of Bader) and gotten the same knockdown. Hell, it might have been a knockout since he would have more space that way. There was a lot that could have been done better by Tito. The main reason that worked is because Bader was, as he usually is, very poorly positioned when he took that hit. A fighter more aware of their positioning (which is most guys) wouldn't have been open for that hit at all, or at the very least wouldn't have been hurt nearly as bad by it. There's a reason Bader has been getting dropped in a lot of his recent fights.

Tito used techniques taught in Wing Chun in an MMA fight. That's all I was trying to show. I've seen Master Wong do the exact same thing and learned that same sequence from a JKD instructor. Regardless of whether Bader is the best or not, he is a professional fighter. A technique taught in every traditional Wing Chun class was used in the UFC against a highly ranked professional fighter. You think that technique isn't gonna work on an average person?

The videos are just demonstrations and Master Wong knows you can't catch a punch. You can trap an arm that a tired fighter leaves their after a punch or keeps there because he wants to grab you next.

I love JKD concepts, but in terms of getting an overhook on a right punch - Has anyone here every done that to someone with > 1 weeks of striking instruction? I spar 2 x week and lucky to block/parry many punches.

Tito used techniques taught in Wing Chun in an MMA fight. That's all I was trying to show. I've seen Master Wong do the exact same thing and learned that same sequence from a JKD instructor. Regardless of whether Bader is the best or not, he is a professional fighter. A technique taught in every traditional Wing Chun class was used in the UFC against a highly ranked professional fighter. You think that technique isn't gonna work on an average person?

The videos are just demonstrations and Master Wong knows you can't catch a punch. You can trap an arm that a tired fighter leaves their after a punch or keeps there because he wants to grab you next.

All I'm saying is that's not what was shown in the video you provided, and even if it's taught there are better ways to do the same thing. Hell, in that situation he literally could have just thrown the right and Bader would have been hit. He squares up completely and stands up tall trying to throw a predictable right hand counter. Tito would have hit him harder by just punching him, no fancy overhook from striking range needed. Whether or not it worked isn't the point. It's whether or not it's more effective than existing and more popular methods, which I argue it is not. Also, I don't wanna train to fight the average person. I want to train moves that work on everyone.

Why doesn't he explain that, or demonstrate situations where they might actually work? If you show people to catch a punch then use the move, they're going to try what you just showed them. They're not going to go through all the critical thinking to find where those moves might actually have a chance of working. It's irresponsible and absolutely pointless to show a move in a context it's never going to be used in. And I've never seen a fighter get so tired his punches can be caught in mid air. If he's that tired, you could do literally anything you want to him, so what's the point? And the other moves he showed still have the flaws I explained.

I'm not saying his stuff has no value and could never work. I'm saying some of it can't work as it's been shown, and the rest isn't any better than existing solutions. I also would like to support this post:

He started off as pure wing chun & tai chi, speaking in without curse words and not acting like Kenny Powers. To gain a marketing edge he started doing the above mentioned antics.

What is his MMA/MT/K1/Boxing record or how many people has he coached to a high level event? The answer is naught! He is a TMA guy transformed into a "self defense" style. Picture him as the East Asian Krav Maga...

He's never proven himself in competition or coached anyone who has. There's no test whatsoever of his techniques and it's easy to see that a lot of what you posted is impractical for the reasons explained. Maybe there are more videos with better stuff, but as I said I would definitely look elsewhere for instruction. I have no doubt he could teach people to stop the average guy, but lets be honest. One or two good punches and situational awareness is enough to stop the average guy. You could learn that in a couple months at most in a boxing gym, so if that's the extent of your goal why bother with all the fancy shit?

Tito spend a long time training Wing Chun did he?

Im beginning to wonder if karate stylist was reincarnated as another poster here

The vids left me less impressed the more I watched. The first one is a widely taught technique though nothing secret or special.

Back when I was 8 or 9 years old I probably looked like a wing chun master when I got into a fist fight.

They didn't have youtube back then so you'll just have to trust me.

This guy is hillarious.

"No more titty grab!"

you're right there is no mention of it. I can easily see that his coordination is superb, the speed and economy of his strikes are phenomenal, and each technique he shows in his videos works. I've seen the majority of his techniques in MMA and have used some and had them done to me in hard sparring sessions. New techniques are used in MMA every day. Remember when everybody said the front kick was stupid and the jumping front kick wouldn't work?

At least check out how he checks all types of kicks. His checks on groin kicks are similar to what I was taught and his others are short simple movements that work.

Greg Jackson isn't the only coach out there that can teach you something.

Watched a few more of his videos out of curiosity. I don't know where you're seeing most of this stuff in MMA. It still primarily just worse execution of good ideas than is found in other arts. And still lots of moves being shown out of context, or in contexts where they aren't going to work.

There are lots of great coaches besides Greg Jackson out there, so you win that strawman. But if you gave Greg a group of guys and Master Wong a couple guys, had them both train their groups for whatever amount of time then had them all fight, I have no doubt who would produce the superior fighters.

Watched a few more of his videos out of curiosity. I don't know where you're seeing most of this stuff in MMA. It still primarily just worse execution of good ideas than is found in other arts. And still lots of moves being shown out of context, or in contexts where they aren't going to work.

4:15 is a perfect example, he has the kick of a beginner and is trying to teach it.

4:15 is a perfect example, he has the kick of a beginner and is trying to teach it.

You're right, perfect example.

Seriously, how can anyone watch that and argue that this is as good or better than either a typical TKD snap round kick or a typical MT roundhouse? Good ideas, bad execution. That's what it comes down to with most of these styles.

I completely forgot about this guy. Last episode I remember watching was when he was showing some fairtex gear years ago.

Back