Master Wong using JKD, Wing Chun, and Tai Chi

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Nicslagan, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Nicslagan

Nicslagan Purple Belt

Are any of you familiar with Master Wong? His videos are quite entertaining and he uses a lot of destructive blocks. He shows examples of how to use these martial arts in stand up and real self defense. He's done several things I've seen in boxing, MMA, and kick boxing matches on tv as well as from training in other styles. Watch a few of his videos and tell me what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtuq_0p2fUw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB3sZb7nFN8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9csDAYLu18
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSZAnGCPCxU

2. nomilkforsanta

nomilkforsanta Nathan

He started off as pure wing chun & tai chi, speaking in without curse words and not acting like Kenny Powers. To gain a marketing edge he started doing the above mentioned antics.

What is his MMA/MT/K1/Boxing record or how many people has he coached to a high level event? The answer is naught! He is a TMA guy transformed into a "self defense" style. Picture him as the East Asian Krav Maga...

3. Nicslagan

Nicslagan Purple Belt

I just know his blocks work from having them done to me when I was sparring full speed with a TKD/Hapkido Master. He makes you punch the point of his elbow and has excellent kick checking techniques for blocking leg kicks and groin kicks. The same techniques he teaches are used in MMA/Kickboxing/Boxing. The bakery around the corner bakes cakes that taste about as good as the supposed best baker in Houston. I think it's obvious he can kickbox and has entered some tournaments in his time.

4. nomilkforsanta

nomilkforsanta Nathan

Just because you can hit pads and spar lightly with unskilled students does not mean you can kickbox. He has never fought according to his own webpage and I see no mention of students he taught to a high level of proven combat.

http://masterwongacademy.com/home/about-master-wong.html

5. Nicslagan

Nicslagan Purple Belt

you're right there is no mention of it. I can easily see that his coordination is superb, the speed and economy of his strikes are phenomenal, and each technique he shows in his videos works. I've seen the majority of his techniques in MMA and have used some and had them done to me in hard sparring sessions. New techniques are used in MMA every day. Remember when everybody said the front kick was stupid and the jumping front kick wouldn't work?

At least check out how he checks all types of kicks. His checks on groin kicks are similar to what I was taught and his others are short simple movements that work.

Greg Jackson isn't the only coach out there that can teach you something.

6. Tankeray

Tankeray The Progeny of Beast of Woe

You ain't got nuttin' son

7. Henry Huggins

Henry Huggins Green Belt

you're either trolling or are the other guy in most of those vids

8. Blackened

Blackened It is a new era! Double Yellow Card

I posted this a couple years ago. There is some comedic gold in some of those vids.

9. Blackened

Blackened It is a new era! Double Yellow Card

10. Nicslagan

Nicslagan Purple Belt

He's definitely funny.

11. Nicslagan

Nicslagan Purple Belt

No, I know what I'm talking about. Yeah, you know more than Bruce Lee does. Bruce Lee's primary art was Wing Chun. Master Wong demonstrates excellent trapping, intercepting, and striking skills. He is funny because he acts kind of crazy. I am not the guy in the vids lol. I'm from Houston, TX. I say y'all and don't speak with a blood British accent.

12. Nicslagan

Nicslagan Purple Belt

13. Nicslagan

Nicslagan Purple Belt

You got a lot of posts for saying things like that and not providing legitimate responses.

14. Wolveswithkeys

Wolveswithkeys something awful

I will say he looks to be better than most TMA guys. I can tell he isn't completely ineffective. I mean if some random bar idiot picked a fight with him, I'm sure that idiot would end up in a pretty bad way. But I don't think the results would be the same if he was up against and experienced boxer, kickboxer, or even wrestler/grappler.

also; I'm glad you posted ^this, as it I believe it's crucial. please post name of said bakery.

15. Nicslagan

Nicslagan Purple Belt

16. Nicslagan

Nicslagan Purple Belt

lol, it's called can of whoop ass bakery...jj...you know my point was to explain that he's almost as good and teaches the same techniques we see every day in MMA and some they forget. A guy that trains as long as he has can hang in there with a drunken amateur boxer, kickboxer, or whatever. He can definitely defend himself vs the majority of the population. The point of self defense is being able to defend yourself not being the best fighter in the world.

17. nomilkforsanta

nomilkforsanta Nathan

Master Wong's top UK student just opened a gym in Asia.

18. a guy

a guy Black Belt

Not a huge fan based on these videos.

The first one is the only one that I've ever seen in MMA. It's a fine way to block the hook, but kind of relies on fighting a dumb opponent who won't throw body shots. While that admittedly is a relatively safe assumption in MMA, it's still a huge hole that's ready to be exploited. Especially when you consider that how far it removes the elbows from the midsection also creates a huge opening for the head of a wrestler. It's not the best move but it's been done and can work, though I'd never advise someone to rely on it.

The second video shows a sound concept; clinching to stop a punching assault. His techniques are very flimsy though. Trapping an overhook after blocking the hook is pretty unlikely. Even more unlikely is holding onto such a shallow one and expecting to have any sort of control over the opponent for more than a split second. The opponent is free to pull his arm out or step in closer and start pummeling because that grip isn't secure. You'd be better off using that block to transition right into a collar tie. Step in with the knee, maybe secure the double collar tie or disengage.

Third video is pretty ridiculous. He expects to be able to leap out of range of a kick, swat it down, then leap back into punching range and start teeing off. It just doesn't work like that. Where does he get the time to cover all that ground? I know kicks can take a little bit to recover from but not THAT long. And if he's out of range, the parry becomes pretty pointless. It's not gonna significantly disrupt the balance of a good kicker. It's gonna get your students to break their hands trying to learn it. Too much effort, too little results.

Fourth video is the worst. I've never met someone even almost fast enough and strong enough to catch a punch at full extension, hold it there and perform a break. That move might be applicable in other situations, but showing it as a counter to a punch destroys credibility. Maybe if he showed it off wrist control while hand fighting or something, it would be infinitely more valid.

This guy looks better than the average JKD or wing chun or whatever highly criticized TMA guy trying to promote his art. But there are much better methods of doing the things he's doing. Even when what he's teaching is grounded in solid theory, the moves he shows are less practical than more standard techniques in other arts. While four moves isn't exactly a great sample size to determine if what he's teaching is legitimate, based on the videos provided I wouldn't be inclined to seek him out as a teacher over other available ones.

19. a guy

a guy Black Belt

That's pretty different from what was being shown in the video. First of all, Tito was the one initiating and trapping on the way in, not using it as a defense against an extended punch. Besides that huge difference, Tito really didn't need to do it. He could have gone with a normal trap (left hand just covers the right of Bader) and gotten the same knockdown. Hell, it might have been a knockout since he would have more space that way. There was a lot that could have been done better by Tito. The main reason that worked is because Bader was, as he usually is, very poorly positioned when he took that hit. A fighter more aware of their positioning (which is most guys) wouldn't have been open for that hit at all, or at the very least wouldn't have been hurt nearly as bad by it. There's a reason Bader has been getting dropped in a lot of his recent fights.

20. Oldknees

Oldknees White Belt

haha it's funny because it's true

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013