Master Wong still doesn't get it

Evan_The_Kid_1

Hybrid Wrestler
@Brown
Reaction score
This follow up video just makes him look worse than before

I always thought the guy was joking around.

He's not actually serious right?

He isn't wrong about the prison part. lol

Terry Thompson just got 25 years.

What about him or his teaching do you not find to your liking?
I'm sure he has nice techniques but he just seems more theory based, at least to me

I'm sure he has nice techniques but he just seems more theory based, at least to me

Well yes they're theory based. There are no videos of him sparring (much less competing), so all of his shit is theory based.

You can not adequately prepare for a "self defense" scenario as you would a sporting contest.

BJJ, boxing, mma, karate, wrestling etc you can conceptualize what your match will encompass. There is data to assist you.

Self defense has sporadic data meaning it comes in so many different scenarios. There are not a set of rules, techniques, weight classes, number of participants, etc.

Also take into account self defense is different for different people with a greater range of possibilities.

Training for a sport has a much more narrow focus.

You can not adequately prepare for a "self defense" scenario as you would a sporting contest.

And yet, there is a high correlation between what is helpful in a sporting contest, and what would be helpful in self defense, isn't there?

BJJ, boxing, mma, karate, wrestling etc you can conceptualize what your match will encompass. There is data to assist you.

Self defense has sporadic data meaning it comes in so many different scenarios. There are not a set of rules, techniques, weight classes, number of participants, etc.

Assuming this statement to be correct for the sake of argument, we're all playing with the same data. Wouldn't this mean any speculation on self-defense, whether from a "sport participant" or a "street master" is equally pointless and useless?

Also take into account self defense is different for different people with a greater range of possibilities.

I'm not sure what this means, if anything.

In so far as training to fight humans only has a more narrow focus than fighting dragons, yes, realism has a more narrow focus than fantasy.

The guy choking him was still doing a shit choke though

He had some stuff I disagreed with. I don't know about having such loose control over a guy. With good reflexes and speed he could probably very easily turn into M Wong taking away his positional advantage and choke set up. Most people don't know about turning into the guy v turning away, and typically they do the latter, but it is an opening I saw. However, anything done compliant and in slow mo allows for a view of counters.

I did like his open palm strike suggestion to the ear. Those are debilitating, and probably safer than rabbit punch which is what I would've thought to do if guy tucked his chin exposing the base of his skull and neck. But I don't want to be Thompson's celly like M Wong was saying, wishing to my mother I was never born. lol

And yet, there is a high correlation between what is helpful in a sporting contest, and what would be helpful in self defense, isn't there?

Assuming this statement to be correct for the sake of argument, we're all playing with the same data. Wouldn't this mean any speculation on self-defense, whether from a "sport participant" or a "street master" is equally pointless and useless?

I'm not sure what this means, if anything.

In so far as training to fight humans only has a more narrow focus than fighting dragons, yes, realism has a more narrow focus than fantasy.

I'm not going to give you a detailed breakdown because you seem triggered like many on Sherdog.

Personal example of self defense: I trained and competed sport. H.S. wrestling, boxed under a USA Boxing sanctioned gym, also spent some time in a combat setting. I am in good shape and am often a subject for lab tests for the local university's ex phys dept.

I had a situation with one guy. Went unresolved. Next time I saw him, he had 5 or so guys with him. I was surrounded. Sport training meant nill in that self defense setting. More variables to consider.

The GOAT kung-fu guy is Freddy's Modern Kung-fu

I'm not going to give you a detailed breakdown because you seem triggered like many on Sherdog.

Well that's a real easy stance to take, aint it.

Personal example of self defense: I trained and competed sport. H.S. wrestling, boxed under a USA Boxing sanctioned gym, also spent some time in a combat setting. I am in good shape and am often a subject for lab tests for the local university's ex phys dept.

I had a situation with one guy. Went unresolved. Next time I saw him, he had 5 or so guys with him. I was surrounded. Sport training meant nill in that self defense setting. More variables to consider.

And how would anything Master Wong has shown helped you in that regard?

Well that's a real easy stance to take, aint it.

And how would anything Master Wong has shown helped you in that regard?

My initial stance was clearly stated in the post you replied to, but you blew through my argument presumably having already established a stance of your own.

It would be more of a headache than what it is worth to go back and break down something I already broke down. If you had any specific questions you could have asked them. Instead you started talking about dragons. I do fight dragons, they're purple. lol

As far as M Wong is concerned, he hasn't helped me personally, however, self defense has a ton to do with mindset. I spoke of how Terry Thompson applied a choke outside of Denny's, thought he was acting in self defense, and he just got 25 years.

There are many ways to analyze "self defense". We would be here forever talking about it.

One more point to consider about data, sanctioned bouts are documented for review, many "self defense" situations go unreported, and aren't available for us to accurately gather data. Unless you believe that "90% of fights end up on the ground." lol

That vid was pure bullshit,dude asumes all you need is to tuck your chin, and he bases that on the dude he’s with trying to rnc him, who clearly doesn’t know shit about rncs...

Máster Wang in hilarious, but he doesn’t know shit about grappling...

The things you can train for SD is somewhat the same when training to shoot a gun: being able to hit the target and making sure the weapon damages the target. Other factors involved are much more variable.

As far as M Wong is concerned, he hasn't helped me personally, however, self defense has a ton to do with mindset. I spoke of how Terry Thompson applied a choke outside of Denny's, thought he was acting in self defense, and he just got 25 years.

Sorry, but Thompson's case is not SD, even if it started from one. You do not shoot a downed and unarmed man, even though he was armed a few moments ago. In the same vein, you do not clamp on the choke when you got a numerical advantage in restraining a person (Chauna Thompson was there and helping).

The most important definition of self-defense is the one the local laws refer to. As long as everyone adheres to this standard (and should be: it's the law) it won't take 'forever' to talk about it.

He's annoying and super aggro. Another butt hurt TMA hack.

Ignore him. He doesn't register with me at all. Hes basically a larper with a couple of muscles.

How did it play out in the end?

The things you can train for SD is somewhat the same when training to shoot a gun: being able to hit the target and making sure the weapon damages the target. Other factors involved are much more variable.

Sorry, but Thompson's case is not SD, even if it started from one. You do not shoot a downed and unarmed man, even though he was armed a few moments ago. In the same vein, you do not clamp on the choke when you got a numerical advantage in restraining a person (Chauna Thompson was there and helping).

The most important definition of self-defense is the one the local laws refer to. As long as everyone adheres to this standard (and should be: it's the law) it won't take 'forever' to talk about it.

Marksmanship and tactical training is not the same. However, a machine I would argue is more able to be measured in its performance than a person. However, there are other things to consider, some of which being maximum effective range, condition of the gun, weather, terrain, bystanders, moving targets, etc. There are still variables. If there weren't people who are highly trained wouldn't end up killed even while employing their weapons. You can prepare, but there are always variables. If there weren't you wouldn't have things like "most likely" and "most dangerous", and you wouldn't have AARs to contemplate what happened after the fact.

Thompson thought his case was self defense. I don't think it was self defense, but it is what he thought in the moment. That just goes to M Wong's point about chokes may not be acceptable from a legal defense. You are potentially risking your self defense claim when you go for them. I believe that was his point, which is what I was commenting on.

As far as the courts I'd rather fight my case than be dead on the scene. There are places in America with very restrictive gun laws, but the criminals in those high crime areas do not abide by those laws. Therefore, it is not a simple conversation to be had. If I just abide by the law in Chicago, I may find myself unprepared for a self defense situation that may arise.

Back