Massive slam from US Open of Amateur Sumo

Oshime2

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
This seems to be making the rounds on the internet but I didn't see it posted here.

[YT]pfPqCjg2g2s[/YT]

I was sitting just to the left of the frame. The crowd went absolutely nuts. The sumo doing the slamming is a 3 time world amateur sumo champion who spent 5 years doing sumo professionally in Japan.

Um, if he is a professional ... how can he be competing in the amateur ... wait, so is this amateur or professional? Your write-up is not clear. - E

You should note that I said he was a professional

He spent 5 years in the professional circuit but retired in his early twenties. He's continued on doing sumo on the amateur level, which I agree seems a bit unfair, but makes for spectacular moments like this.

Needless to say he won every match in the HW and Open weight division.

In the HW final he went against a Russian who was a former professional as well.

You should note that I said he was a professional

He spent 5 years in the professional circuit but retired in his early twenties. He's continued on doing sumo on the amateur level, which I agree seems a bit unfair, but makes for spectacular moments like this.

Needless to say he won every match in the HW and Open weight division.

In the HW final he went against a Russian who was a former professional as well.

Do they not disqualify him from competing amateur? Every other sport I know of bars from competing in an amateur event once you have competed in the pro level for that reason

Do they not disqualify him from competing amateur? Every other sport I know of bars from competing in an amateur event once you have competed in the pro level for that reason

I think that with the level and popularity of sumo in the US they're desperate to get any attention they can so they're probably not going to ban him.

don't know much about amateur sumo, but i do know how dominant byamba is.

crazy slam.

That is a guy who has the perfect grappling style for self defense...

That is a guy who has the perfect grappling style for self defense...

I"d say his size is fairly decent self defense in and of itself haha. Not too many people gonna pick on a guy that size. :icon_lol:

comment-friday-damn.jpeg

Back