Opinion Mass shootings and the presumption of whiteness

Yea, but this was in Boulder, Colorado, not Chicago or Detroit. C'mon, you gotta admit, if you hear mass shooting in Colorado, the safe bet is white guy.

I wouldn't immediately think Muslim unless there was a bombing.

Well that’s a racist assumption sir considering the most “successful” domestic bomber in the US was a honkey.

As a member of the demographic responsible for the least amount of shooting, violence and crime in America, I think it's cute the way members here keep having their silly little black vs white contest about who kills more people
Are you the guy that claims to be half white? Or is that another poster?

It's like white people are jealous that people of color get to own the word "racism"
Why do I feel like you truly believe that?

It's a word, nobody fucking "owns" it.
Also, just because a few people took to twitter to try to change the definition, doesn't mean it changed. If you feel a certain way about a different race than you do your own, YOU are racist!
Broad statements like the one I'm replying to, kinda make you racist...

Those are gang related shootings for the most part. The white shootings are random.
So if you shoot a bunch of people and you or them are gang affiliated, then it's not a mass shooting?

I think you should rethink that logic, or lack of logic is more like it...

The whole point scoring after a mass shooting is really ugly. Its always clear which side finds the shooting politically inconvenient since they are the side that says we shouldn't politicize the tragedy while the other side will often mock "thoughts and prayers" and the crucial details tends to be the identity and motive of the shooter. If there is no clear motive and the shooter is white it gets boiled down to a generic gun debate whereas if its a Muslim terrorist then its the generic terrorism debate.

The whole point scoring after a mass shooting is really ugly. Its always clear which side finds the shooting politically inconvenient since they are the side that says we shouldn't politicize the tragedy while the other side will often mock "thoughts and prayers" and the crucial details tends to be the identity and motive of the shooter. If there is no clear motive and the shooter is white it gets boiled down to a generic gun debate whereas if its a Muslim terrorist then its the generic terrorism debate.
Yeah it's a sad state.

LOL. like innocent people aren't caught in the middle of their shoot outs. and somehow this makes it ok?

great stuff.
Being an idiot I see. Who said it makes it ok?
How does the motive change the definition of a mass shooting?
Because mass shootings and the coverage provided have now added a term that's new to the lexicon. WWII was a bunch of mass shootings for 6 years straight. Was it not?
No one would call it that.
This is a mass shooting. Random.
Columbine was a school shooting. Aurora mall was a mass shooting.
Church shootings are acts of religious terrorism or terrorism.
Lumping everything as a mass shooting is to drum up statistics, paranoia, and ratings.
So if you shoot a bunch of people and you or them are gang affiliated, then it's not a mass shooting?

I think you should rethink that logic, or lack of logic is more like it...
No it would be a gang related shooting.

He is white. Unfortunately he has that culture that we don't like to acknowledge as being "complicated"

Being an idiot I see. Who said it makes it ok?

Because mass shootings and the coverage provided have now added a term that's new to the lexicon. WWII was a bunch of mass shootings for 6 years straight. Was it not?
No one would call it that.
This is a mass shooting. Random.
Columbine was a school shooting. Aurora mall was a mass shooting.
Church shootings are acts of religious terrorism or terrorism.
Lumping everything as a mass shooting is to drum up statistics, paranoia, and ratings.

No it would be a gang related shooting.
If you're shooting at a group of people it's by definition a "mass shooting"
I don't care what CNN tells you. Motivation doesn't change what the crime is.
Murder is murder
Mass murder is mass murder

I suppose you think a gang banger with 20 bodies pinned on him isn't a serial killer?

mass
/mas/

noun
a coherent, typically large body of matter with no definite shape.
"a mass of curly hair"
a large number of people or objects crowded together.
"a mass of cyclists"

If you're shooting at a group of people it's by definition a "mass shooting"
I don't care what CNN tells you. Motivation doesn't change what the crime is.
Murder is murder
Mass murder is mass murder

I suppose you think a gang banger with 20 bodies pinned on him isn't a serial killer?

mass
/mas/

noun
a coherent, typically large body of matter with no definite shape.
"a mass of curly hair"
a large number of people or objects crowded together.
"a mass of cyclists"
So WWII is the biggest mass shooting of all times? Those veterans are all mass shooters and murders? Neck and neck with Klebold and Harris, I mean what's the difference, murder is murder.

They do these kind of calculated provocations to test the waters.
"It is not possible to be racist against white men."

The far left wants you to accept that only white people can be racist and honestly? I think they will achieve that. The US has reached a completely new level of insanity and brainwashing.

So WWII is the biggest mass shooting of all times? Those veterans are all mass shooters and murders? Neck and neck with Klebold and Harris, I mean what's the difference, murder is murder.
<LikeReally5>
Wow... I'm sorry. I just thought you were dumb, didn't know that you were actually retarded.

Do you have no comprehension of what a war is compared to a shooting at a store or mall?

If any racial slur is racist, calling someone "cracker" is racist. Doesn't matter if a white person says it or not. If it's not racist to call someone a "cracker," no "racial slurs" are racist. Again, the race of the originator is irrelevant

Snowflake it up.

Keep doin that until the cows come home. It suits you.

By your own way of thinking, WW2 American mass shooters saved the entire world from being 100% Nazis lol

No one who lives outside of crime-ridden neighborhoods worries about being gunned down in public spaces by gangbangers and thugs, and even then…the residents who do live in these areas generally worry about accidentally getting caught in the mix. The overwhelming majority of Americans (including all of us on this forum I’d wager) aren’t at any risk in that regard; as unfortunate as it may be for the minority whom are.

But Americans of all backgrounds and status (including us) are at risk for a random joe schmoe airing out the grocery store, mall, movie theater, or school. That’s what the national convo pertains to regarding these incidents. The general fear is about the indiscriminate rampage. The whole semantics discussion about the definition of ‘mass shooting’ simply distracts from that fact.

Back