Mass Shooters Chart by Race: Interesting information

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by wrestler10, Oct 2, 2013.

1. wrestler10

wrestler10 Banned Banned

Found this when looking at Mother Jones yesterday....Only 44 of the last 67 Mass Shooters have been White which is nothing out of the ordinary when you consider that White Males are about 70 percent of the Male population and women don't do mass shootings at all. I was under the impression that this was a mostly White Male phenomenon but it doesn't look like it is in reality. Seems all races have done it at about the same rate despite the stereotype. It's a male phenomenon not a White Male phenomenon.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/09/mass-shooters-race-aaron-alexis

I'm not into the "liberal media hate" that right wingers love to do but, I wonder if there is something to this misconception that it's a White guy crime..

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  2. Spoken

Spoken Gold Belt

44/67 shooters being white IS a majority in every way you can define majority... as either above 50% or taking up the largest percentage.

so yeah, it's mostly a white phenomena

3. wrestler10

wrestler10 Banned Banned

Overall it is...But by percentages (per capita) it isn't. So your typical White is no more likely to become one than a typical individual of any race.

I'm obviously not including women of any race since mass shootings are a Male phenomenon. White Males are 70 percent of the hypothetical mass shooters (since women are excluded) yet only did 66% of the last 67 mass shootings...Not statistically significant in any way.

White Males make up 70% of the potential mass shooters (women are excluded) yet only committed 66 percent of them.

4. Fawlty

Fawlty Guest

He's saying it's in more proportion with the population than people assume. You might as well say bridges are a white phenomenon.

5. Spoken

Spoken Gold Belt

ah... That makes sense.
    I suspect it's more nuanced than this, but it makes sense.

6. faustian

faustian THE LOOSE CANNON Platinum Member

This thread should end well

#ThanksObama

7. Harbinger

Harbinger Green Belt

Yep. My armchair mass shooter compiling skills have Asians over blacks tho.

8. wrestler10

wrestler10 Banned Banned

Yes from a per capita basis Asian men do the most mass shootings in the US. I wonder why that is? Maybe because Asian men are generally speaking very introverted and likely to be socially isolated and without friends and girlfriends?

9. SevenSamurai

SevenSamurai Silver Belt

I saw some stats in a documentary which showed that mass shooting incidences have not been increasing in the last 30 years and in certain measures have decreased - what has skyrocketed is the media coverage because of the 24/7 news orgs necessity for news events which can carry over several days, and also reincarnate/reignite ongoing public debates which relate.

ill see if I can figure out which film or tv doc it was...

10. therealdope

therealdope Titanium Belt

When i was a kid it seemed that shootings at Postal facilities happened regularly. All of those shooters (IIRC) were white guys. I mean those events gave birth the term 'going postal'. That's probably why I associate these shootings with white guys.

That pie chart backs up that association.

11. wrestler10

wrestler10 Banned Banned

No it doesn't...From a percentage basis mass shootings are not a "White" crime at all. They are a Male crime which is committed at about the same rate across races with Asians doing it slightly more so percentage wise.

12. wrestler10

wrestler10 Banned Banned

I've heard that to. Which makes you wonder if the desire for Media attention and fame is really the motivation behind these attacks. If they have been going on for along time and way before extensive media coverage.

That complicates it a lot.

Perhaps just suicidal people blaming others for their unhappiness and so they lash out? I'm sure this has happened throughout history even well before any concept of media.

13. FwappyEnding

FwappyEnding Brown Belt

I'd be more interested in what drugs each person was on (legal and otherwise) as well as religious affiliations.

14. faustian

faustian THE LOOSE CANNON Platinum Member

Even without looking at the source I'm inclined to believe this

15. SevenSamurai

SevenSamurai Silver Belt

If you were to calculate mass shootings by race divided by gun owners in that race -those stats would tell you a completely different story.

It would say white rifle owners are the least likely demographic to commit a mass shooting.

Not trying to sound like the NRA, but facts are facts.

16. Poet of Gore

Poet of Gore Purple Belt

i would be more worried if the person should have been in a nuthouse but was walking outside breathing MY air

17. motorboatJones

motorboatJones Bird Law

This thread seems too dangerous. Some mod will probably lock.

18. WorldofWarcraft

WorldofWarcraft Holy Paladin Banned

19. SafyreSchool**

SafyreSchool** Banned Banned

I'd also be interested how many used their own registered guns as opposed to stealing/gaining them illegally.

20. SevenSamurai

SevenSamurai Silver Belt

Interesting, but this is only true for very recently -not overall or during your lifetime.

And mass shooting were more common decades ago before SSRIs existed (according to the documentary I refer to earlier -see if I can find the name)