mass program no spotter

If you have a rack squats should be fine I think. For bench.. um.. you could just dump the weights sideways if you can't finish.

use my program ...its a variation of mike metzgers heavy duty training that packed on 30lbs of solid muscle in 5 months with no roids

just creatine, glutamine and "ULIMATE ORANGE"

Where are you working out?
What kind of equipment do you have at your disposal?
What are your goals?
What other activities (work or exercise) do you do?

As stated in the FAQ which you've read and others in the thread you could easily isolating small muscle groups and stick to compound muscle exercises. You will still get gains if you only lift twice a week just not as much as three of course.

As far as the FAQ, I check it every once in awhile (usually once a month) I think there should be a portion of it that breaks down the different aspects of weight lifting for people like our new friend here. Most magazines and websites promote body building lifting routines exclusively and therefore many people come here completely ignorant of what a good power lifting/strength development program really is.

Where are you working out?
What are your goals?
What other activities (work or exercise) do you do?

As stated in the FAQ which you've read and others in the thread you could easily isolating small muscle groups and stick to compound muscle exercises. You will still get gains if you only lift twice a week just not as much as three of course.

As far as the FAQ, I check it every once in awhile (usually once a month) I think there should be a portion of it that breaks down the different aspects of weight lifting for people like our new friend here. Most magazines and websites promote body building lifting routines exclusively and therefore many people come here completely ignorant of what a good power lifting/strength development program really is.

I have just joined a large gym that has a lot of new machines and weights. Seems pretty decked out place.

What are your goals?
Gain strength and size.

What other activities
My work is easy.(no labor) I will train mma class 1 night, striking 1 night, and bjj 1 night. I used to dedicate 5 days to the ma training. But thought I would ease off and get back into the gym.

I looked at a link to the starting strength and I am considering one of their routines but it the FAQ also had a similar routine.
Two day split:

Day one:
Deadlift
Overhead press
Weighted pullup/chinup

Day two:
Squat
Benchpress
Bent over row

While in the gym I was hoping to add other exercises that are going to be essential like grip workouts.
In the gym I also see the machine the girls use a lot where you squeeze your knees together from like a giving birth position. I thought this might strengthen guard. Where you need to squeeze your knees together for the armbar to keep it tight and such.
Also I want to strengthen my neck while there..

I realize the main exercises in the above routine are going to take a lot out of me but there is so many things I could be doing/should be doing in the gym that are beneficial to me.

But strength and mass are my gaols.:redface: I am like a kid in a toy shop.

2 day split from the FAQ has served me well. I change it up and add other stuff in sometimes, but it's my basic template. Check out my log if ya wanna see how I do.

The hip ad/abduction machines are pretty much worthless. Get stronger and get better technique, and dont worry about silly things like that until you're addin' 100lbs of weight to your pull-ups by puttin' a dumbbell in a "triangle choke", and by the time you get to that point, you'll realize just how stupid those machines are (I pulled a glute on one awhile back when I wasn't real smart about trainin' and had the same thoughts you did).

Best things for your neck would be a neck harness to hook plates and such to, and neck bridges. I dont have a harness and just do bridges. I should do them more often...

If you wanna get bigger and stronger, do heavy multi-joint lifts and eat a lot (protein, fats, and carbs: you'll need 'em all). Check out Diet & Supplementation for good info on eats, also ask questions about food around here if ya need.

2 day split from the FAQ has served me well. I change it up and add other stuff in sometimes, but it's my basic template. Check out my log if ya wanna see how I do.

The hip ad/abduction machines are pretty much worthless. Get stronger and get better technique, and dont worry about silly things like that until you're addin' 100lbs of weight to your pull-ups by puttin' a dumbbell in a "triangle choke", and by the time you get to that point, you'll realize just how stupid those machines are (I pulled a glute on one awhile back when I wasn't real smart about trainin' and had the same thoughts you did).

Best things for your neck would be a neck harness to hook plates and such to, and neck bridges. I dont have a harness and just do bridges. I should do them more often...

If you wanna get bigger and stronger, do heavy multi-joint lifts and eat a lot (protein, fats, and carbs: you'll need 'em all). Check out Diet & Supplementation for good info on eats, also ask questions about food around here if ya need.

Thanks. As far as adding other exercises is there a rule? Like neck harness, grip training. Do them at the end of both routines?
I saw in you log you said something about Tabata mp3. Did you make it yourself or are there good ones to download?

Also I agree with this guy about the FAQ
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/s-p-faq-please-read-436935/#post11180105

benching in a power rack is great. the power rack's safety pins at my gym can be set right below the top of my chest so the barbell can still hit my chest for full ROM without touching the safety pins but if i fail, all i have to do is suck in my chest a bit and it will rest on the pins. then just push it down to the end and get up to re-rack it. if you cant get it just right under your chest (the pins) you can put some weights under the bench seat to get it just right

Well it looks like other people already answered what I was going to say especially about the abductor/adductor machines, power rack and such. The example programs in the FAQ are pretty much what you want. Also look at some of the training logs and see if any of those would work into your schedule.

Off topic on the guard subject, focus more on the technique when you are training that, don't worry about developing "good guard strength". This is something that many beginners think will "super charge" their training or give them a leg up.

Also if you are at the gym just ask someone to spot you, most people will be more than happy to help.

I never use a spotter lol, probably because i train on my own in my garage, but it pushes me that bit more to actually lift the thing or I could die if I don't lol.

benching in a power rack is great. the power rack's safety pins at my gym can be set right below the top of my chest so the barbell can still hit my chest for full ROM without touching the safety pins but if i fail, all i have to do is suck in my chest a bit and it will rest on the pins. then just push it down to the end and get up to re-rack it. if you cant get it just right under your chest (the pins) you can put some weights under the bench seat to get it just right

btw it's my personal pet peeve to see a guy using a rack for this if there is a bench available. If you're in the gym people should be cool about giving a spot, or at least I am.

btw it's my personal pet peeve to see a guy using a rack for this if there is a bench available. If you're in the gym people should be cool about giving a spot, or at least I am.

not when your gym consists 99% curl monkeys that don't know how to spot for shit. even if i tell them to not spot me until i tell them i need a spot, they will always start putting the hands under the bar helping me to get it up or even go through the entire motion with me which just messes up my entire set. nobody uses the rack for squats anyways at my gym :icon_chee

not when your gym consists 99% curl monkeys that don't know how to spot for shit. even if i tell them to not spot me until i tell them i need a spot, they will always start putting the hands under the bar helping me to get it up or even go through the entire motion with me which just messes up my entire set. nobody uses the rack for squats anyways at my gym :icon_chee

Fair enough, some people think spotting means 2 people working out on one machine.

Thanks. As far as adding other exercises is there a rule? Like neck harness, grip training. Do them at the end of both routines?
I saw in you log you said something about Tabata mp3. Did you make it yourself or are there good ones to download?

Usually, do neck, grip, and other miscellaneous stuff at the end of your workout or an off day (unless you wanna do like Graedy and weight your dips with the neck harness, which is in my plan to try if/when I get a harness; also towel pull-ups are good to work the grip more). Sometimes I'll do plate pinches at the end of my workouts. I've got a gripper that I usually work with on non-lift days. Not sure where my sledgehammer work is gonna find a home... probably on it's own day right now...

I found a couple websites that had tabata and other round timer mp3s (3 and 5 min rounds if I remember right). Only 1 was pre-made with music, the others are just a real basic bell to start, buzzer to stop, which I put some music underneath. I dont remember what sites I found the mp3s on, but if ya can't find any, shoot me a PM and I can email ya the tracks.

( Disclaimer):DBefore anyone states read FAQ. I did and also did a search. I couldn't find the answer anywhere for my situation. Probly on the forum somewhere but I did try.

Anyway....

I Did the routine today for the first time and felt that my technique was not right on the deadlift.
I asked one of the trainers for advice and he recommended using dumbells for the squats and that it pretty much is going to do the same as a deadlift as well.

Also he recommended using dumbbells for the Bench press as well which I read on here that it can be beneficial also but weight can be an issue. I am just starting out so not in my case.

Well anyhow my problem is if the dumbell squat is the same as the deadlift I will have to change my routine? He also said the clean and snatch is better than doing the overhead press. But I trust experienced guys on here than some guy that gives advice than asks whether I would be interested in paying for some Private trainer sessions. He might say anything to get a sale.

I did read on a thread that DB are better for functional strength but I am curious why all the most recommended routines use barbells.

Day one:
Deadlift
Overhead press
Weighted pullup/chinup

Day two:
Squat
Benchpress
Bent over row

Using dumbells for squat would really limit your squatting to wherever your grip strength fails you. Plus, it's not really the same as a squat, imo.

Is the trainer there a skinny little ***got, by any chance?

Using dumbells for squat would really limit your squatting to wherever your grip strength fails you. Plus, it's not really the same as a squat, imo.

Is the trainer there a skinny little ***got, by any chance?

No he looks like a power lifter. He said because I am over 30 Dumbells are less dangerous injury wise.

Back