Marvin Vettori on why Robert Whittaker shouldn't get the title shot

so top 5 guys are top guys to you? just wanted to clarify your meaning

Yeah that's the way i see it. I don't like seing someone having a titleshot after beating a guy below #5 unless there's is a short notice or injury ect...
But, and that's jsut my opinion, i'm not high on Hermansson and i see him a tier below Whitaker, Cannonier and Costa (the "i can clearly see him being the champ" tier).
I must say i'm a bit bias because i really don't care about Hermansson, i'm good if i never see him in the UFC anymore.

Yeah that's the way i see it. I don't like seing someone having a titleshot after beating a guy below #5 unless there's is a short notice or injury ect...
But, and that's jsut my opinion, i'm not high on Hermansson and i see him a tier below Whitaker, Cannonier and Costa (the "i can clearly see him being the champ" tier).
I must say i'm a bit bias because i really don't care about Hermansson, i'm good if i never see him in the UFC anymore.
100% agree with all of this

I think Rob gets killed again vs Izzy while Vettori has the style, the chin and offensive wrestling output to be the guy to beat Izzy at MW.

Not as confident after yesterday though.... Vettori leaves that chin up high way too much.

Ron undoubtedly deserves the rematch over Vettori right now even before fighting Gastelum. I think Gastelum is gonna catch Rob though.

So why didn’t Cannonier get a title shot when he destroyed him ? But Vettori wins a boring decision and qualifies him for a title shot .....Makes no sense and Hermansson is a good win , but he isn’t a top guy

Now you're just moving the goal post, don't be one of those people. You said that Vettori should beat a top guy so I told you he has, Hermansson is a top guy. I never said beating Hermansson means title shot.

I consider Hermansson a good win , but one tier below the the top guys .....Whittaker definitely deserves the shot

Hermansson was ranked in the top 5 or top 7 when he lost to Vettori, that's a top guy.

Here is Sherdog's last ranking from before Vettori vs Hermansson having Hermansson ranked 6th so if the UFC's rankings were the same he would have been 5th since the champions don't get a numbered rank.
Sherdog’s Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings - Middleweight

Hermansson was ranked in the top 5 or top 7 when he lost to Vettori, that's a top guy.

Hermansson is in a strange spot where half of the people see him as a possible title contender and the other half see him as the Top 5 gatekeeper at best. Kinda like Darren Till and Gastelum, there's no consensus on his ceiling. We need one more fight to make our mind.

Hermansson is in a strange spot where half of the people see him as a possible title contender and the other half see him as the Top 5 gatekeeper at best. Kinda like Darren Till and Gastelum, there's no consensus on his ceiling. We need one more fight to make our mind.

This idea that only the top 5 of a division are top guys is kind of ridiculous to me, if a division only has 5 top guys that division sucks and I don't think MW sucks. Besides, Hermansson was ranked either 5th or 6th when Vettori beat him.

This idea that only the top 5 of a division are top guys is kind of ridiculous to me, if a division only has 5 top guys that division sucks and I don't think MW sucks. Besides, Hermansson was ranked either 5th or 6th when Vettori beat him.

I agree with you, when i say Top 5 it's just an expression. Maybe i should say the "Could clearly be champion" tier instead of Top 5. And again, that's just opinion, not facts, but we can agree that matchmaking is not based on facts

I agree with you, when i say Top 5 it's just an expression. Maybe i should say the "Could clearly be champion" tier instead of Top 5. And again, that's just opinion, not facts, but we can agree that matchmaking is not based on facts

I was talking about the other guy that said that Vettori should beat a top guy after he beat Hermansson who was ranked 5th or 6th when he lost to Vettori. IMO anyone in the top 5 of most divisions could clearly be champion otherwise they wouldn't be top 5.

Stylistically, Vettori is tailor made food for Whittaker. Whittaker could easily outwrestle him and Vettori has the slowest and most obvious striking at MW (along with Brunson). Id say Bobby would get the Finish or a smooth sailing UD.
The very point that Vettori makes about Whittaker not wanting the TS last year is what makes it intriguing. He wanted time to work on himself - physical, mental, spiritual - and with a win over Gas I think that process would've come to maturity. Honestly I would've thought Rob v Izzy 2 mid2020 would look the same as the first fight. With Robs champion mentality in taking his time to build up again, and Izzy taking his first L in the meantime, I'm calling the rematch 50/50

Vettori is 10X the fighter that Whittaker is. Marvin would never lose to Wonderboy.
That was a super green rob at 170 come on man. Also rob is the best anti wrestler at 185 and Vettori does not have the hands to beat rob. Rob struggles against long counter punchers but he eats grapplers for breakfast. Your judgement is clouded by robs dramatic loss to Izzy.

Vettori’s fight with Adesanya was much closer than Whittaker vs Adesanya.

Winner of Whittaker vs Gastelum gets the title shot; Vettori fights the loser and if he wins then he gets the next title shot.
Wouldn't give Vettori the loser which imo will be Gastelum, a fight against Costa would make the most sense, or even re-booking a fight with Till.

Rob's chin is gone. He's been put on bambi legs by a one-armed Cannonnier, by Till and got knocked the fuck out by Izzy.

Both Gastelum and Vettori will/would also finish him.
Bet you said the same thing before he fought Till and Cannonier, shifting the goal posts now are we? For the record Gastelum's a far more dangerous fight than Vettori for Whittaker. Whittaker stops the takedowns and picks Vettori apart on the feet.

No I said Vettori sucks and he didn’t show me anything to change my mind ....I fully expected him to beat no camp Holland , Till would’ve embarrassed him ....nice try though.......
<BC1>

Back