Marvel Studios vs. LucasFilm attitude (must see video)

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Eusung, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Eusung Brown Belt

Night and day difference. Marvel constantly listens to fans, compliments them, and thanks them.

Lucasfilm execs and directors insult their fans, openly say they will do what they want and not worry about what fans want.

2. TheRuthlessOne Banned Banned

Its because the Star Wars side is ran by a woman

Marvel side is ran by a man

3. Eusung Brown Belt

Yes...this woman

[​IMG]

4. BisexualMMA Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!

Crazy thing is Marvel COMICS is even worse than LucasFilm when it comes to this stuff.

5. Lovestorm P4P Mouth Watering Avatar Platinum Member

TLJ was an abomination. AIDS in it's purest form. The embodiment of dog shit.

6. Anung Un Rama Idol of Millions Platinum Member

Example.

7. KONG-D'SNT-TAP Banned Banned

Was it that fucking hard to do these 2 very simple things

1) have Luke Han and leia on screen together again

2) make Luke a bad ass jedi master, not some dumb shit hologram

Evidentially it was hard to do because the 30+ year fans who have funded this bullshit didn't get either one. People went to see these movies with the hope of seeing the Big 3, anything else was extra and they barely got that.

But hey if I was making a Michael Jordan movie I'd be sure to include his basketball career but if I really wanted to stick it to the people who funded trillions into this I would simply leave that aspect out.

But hey what the fuck do I know right?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  8. KONG-D'SNT-TAP Banned Banned

I think he means the female, and minority characters that were stand ins for the old time characters.

9. BisexualMMA Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!

Here's on guy's take on the words of one comic pro at Marvel.

That's one of the big names at Marvel Comics, but there has been quite a bit of telling / tweeting at fans that "comics just aren't for you then" or "if you don't like it then don't buy it."

I haven't followed it closely enough to draw every quote from memory and pin it to the appropriate speaker or tweeter, but there has been an ongoing feud of sorts between Marvel/DC comics (especially Marvel) and longstanding fans. If you look into "Comicsgate" you'll see both sides of it play out and you can come to your own opinion.

10. Morning Star Red Belt

That video explains a lot. Kennedy clearly doesn't give a fuck about Star Wars other than it being a cash cow. Rian Johnson clearly doesn't give a fuck about Star Wars either. Apparently shitting on it's legacy gets him off.

11. Anung Un Rama Idol of Millions Platinum Member

Example?

I honestly can't think of anything significant besides Mandarin, Jane Foster, and Valkyrie.

12. GtehMVP Black Belt

Marvel comics and Disney Star Wars have both taken the "get woke go broke" approach. In fact the latter is the poster child for the movement. You had to know it was going to be a shit show when Cray K and JJ were virtue signaling vaginas before story. Unless they do an about face this Sept, and replace Kennedy with someone fan friendly like Filoni, Disney Star Wars will go down in history as the biggest fuck up in hollywood.

Regardless, I don't think anything is going to save Ep 9 from being another SW flop. Not only have fans lost confidence in JJ, Rian's dump on the trilogy has really hurt his chances at salvaging things. JJ's just not talented enough to recover from that, I don't think anyone is, unless they retcon TLJ completely.

What's icing on the cake for Kennedy's incompetence is being unable to stream to the original Star Wars trilogy on the Disney Network until 2024-ish because of a bad deal she made. She gives females a bad wrap.

There's still hope down the road, especially if a guy like Filoni can have creative control, but seeing that trainwreck Resistance's reveal tells me it's going to be a long time before Star Wars can recover as an IP.

13. Anung Un Rama Idol of Millions Platinum Member

This deals with the comics more than the movies.
    Comics, imo, get more of a pass because the immediate pressure to produce original content is non-stop.
    That being said, to be so out of touch that the creator of the One More Day storyline quoted Alan Moore to deflect criticism is actually kind of funny. That's like taking a literal shit and then quoting Picasso when somebody yells at you for not flushing.

With regards to the movies, MCU does have 2 glaring "fuck you"s to the fans:
    1. The Mandarin. They really thought they were clever with that one. *rage intensifying
    2. Jane Foster 1 and Jane Foster 2: The Dark World
    3. Making Valkyrie black because. This is obviously less significant, but it echoes the sentiments expressed by the Kennedy in the OP vid.

BUT... ultimately, I think MCU has been true to the source material and their trajectory, in spite of obvious hiccups, has been on point.
    Star Wars on the other hand has only ever shown glimpses of its potential since Empire. The majority of the Star Wars movies have been seriously lacking in the kind of creativity that got us all hooked -- I guess we're all like heroin addicts in that respect. Chasing dat force dragon we are.

Edit: Slott wasn't the creator of One More Day - he actually took over after that and had an amazing run.

14. BisexualMMA Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!

My post was about the Comics side as opposed to the Movies side of Marvel. It's just kind of funny that Marvel Comics is Woke to the power of one billion, while Marvel movies are (for now anyway) pretty apolitical, and LucasFilm is kind of in the middle...let's say Woke to the power of 50.

Pretty good chance that Marvel movies start to get Woke as Fack before too long though.

As to Star Wars, I think the original three films are great. The prequels were executed poorly in some way at almost every level, from visuals to story structure to dialogue... But in terms of creativity, the bare bones for three good movies does exist in what George Lucas came up with for the prequels. It was in need of major rewrites and an entirely different approach to the visuals, but I wouldn't say they failed at a creative level.

I think there's no rescuing The Force Awakens from being a derivative rehash (though a well executed one). And there's no rescuing The Last Jedi from being something made intentionally to annoy the viewer.

15. Loiosh Detective Platinum Member

Goddam that video was repetitive.

16. Anung Un Rama Idol of Millions Platinum Member

I will concede on the creativity part. Putting it all together and executing is more their weakness.

As for being woke, its much easier for SW since they seem to be inventing a lot of new characters as they go rather than recast relics. But, its going to be tough for the MCU to get woke for the same reason their woke comics didn't really work. Not only did their diversity line fail, but they've killed off 2 of their best minority characters to kick off Civil War 1 & 2 (Black Goliath and War Machine). And even Thor 1 & 2 are 2 of the weakest movies of the the Infinity War buildup. Once they shed Jane Foster Thor became the star of the last 2 years. If MCU wants to keep making cheddar they'll keep dancing with the girl that brought them.

17. Drain Bamage Belt Buckle

And now Leia is fucking dead too christ almighty they fucked up

18. KONG-D'SNT-TAP Banned Banned

New Ms marvel, x23, Riri Williams as ironheart, A. Cho as Hulk.

19. Anung Un Rama Idol of Millions Platinum Member

Ms Marvel is a great example.
    I don't even know who Ironheart is :(

Cho and X23 are organic comic book manifestations.

We haven't really seen that in the MCU movies, tho.

edit: looked up Ironheart...

<{Heymansnicker}>

20. loyalyolayal Steel Belt

The biggest pussy move just to get the Chinese market (Along with red dawn 2 which still failed and wasn't released in China. They should've stuck with China as the main antagonist). I wish they rectify this bs and I'm hopeful that they will.