Marvel fans, who wins this fight?

Thanos is powerful enough and intelligent enough to scheme a competitive fight against Galactus, but straight up, prime vs. prime, Galactus squashes Thanos (sans IG).
With IG, Thanos is more powerful than anybody outside of the Living Tribunal and Squirrel Girl.

what is it then? His eternally creepy and stalkerish obsession with Death? Doesnt he basically genocide entire solar systems just so he can catch her attention?

You're about 25 years behind on the development of the character... The obsession with Death largely ends with the Infinity Saga which was, what - early 90's? After that he enters a sort of existential crisis and tries to find his purpose, as he has reached the top and found it unsatisfying. He tries repenting, he triest testing his power for the sake of testing his power, he tries fucking with people, but his primary motivation becomes, if anything, to maintain the universal balance that he enjoys and gain more knowledge.

What's cool about Thanos? Unlike 95% of villains, his motivations aren't "I want to kill hero X that I hate!" or "I want to rule the world/galaxy" or "I want to destroy it all!" He's whimsical, his motives aren't always clear, and when his mid-life story arcs are done, you're usually left thinking "Well, the man certainly had something different on his mind"...

His early life and late life are pretty meh though. He gets more two dimensional with every passing year.

They're designed to not always have a clear Victor.

Galactus is the more powerful, but he mostly follows his hunger.

Thanos is the superior schemer, so more likely to create and take advantages.

So it just comes down to who is the main focus of the story line.

Based on pure Powers, Galactus.

Thanos vs Galactus

Scenario 1: Thanos does NOT have the Infinity Gauntlet
Scenario 1: Thanos DOES have the Infinity Gauntlet

Thanos with Infinity Gauntlet wins, very easily.

Thanos without I.G. loses to Galactus in a straight fight.

Thanos without I.G. but with prep time can win against Galactus.

this comic stuff is all so confusing. could the suicide squad hang with thanos? could robin outwit Hulk? what about the greatest american hero? where does his skill set compare?

Without the gauntlet galactus beats the crap out of him. With it he's essentially a god and solos almost anyone

Are any of these newer cosmic stories worth reading and how much backstory do I need to know? I've read the SS/Thanos stuff, IG, IW, and IC but I see there've been numerous stories since then that are Thanos-centric. Is this newer Starlin stuff worth a look? I'm not reading a whole bunch of shit to know what's going on.

Who else can/has used the Infinity Gauntlet and how much power can/did they generate by donning it?

Are any of these newer cosmic stories worth reading and how much backstory do I need to know? I've read the SS/Thanos stuff, IG, IW, and IC but I see there've been numerous stories since then that are Thanos-centric. Is this newer Starlin stuff worth a look? I'm not reading a whole bunch of shit to know what's going on.

Honestly, I'd say not too much of it is worth reading - and that includes the Thanos centric stuff. Anything after the Annihilation Wave - which was awesome, and were the events taking place in space after the first Civil War - haven't grabbed me. Thanos' origin story comic series - can't recall the name - was pretty cool and rather creepy.

Thanos was cool all through the 90's, and any Starlin stuff from that period tended to be really good. Thanos in the 2000's has been on the wane.

Honestly, I'd say not too much of it is worth reading - and that includes the Thanos centric stuff. Anything after the Annihilation Wave - which was awesome, and were the events taking place in space after the first Civil War - haven't grabbed me. Thanos' origin story comic series - can't recall the name - was pretty cool and rather creepy.

Thanos was cool all through the 90's, and any Starlin stuff from that period tended to be really good. Thanos in the 2000's has been on the wane.

Can thanos without gauntlet even beat silver surfer in a straight up fight?

Can thanos without gauntlet even beat silver surfer in a straight up fight?

Recently Surfer has had some powerups that make it questionable but for most of their time together? It pretty much goes like this.

ULM5xIo.jpg

Thanos can murk Surfer in a few shots, treating Surfer about as badly as Galactus treats Thanos.

@ehtheist

I've seen Dr. Strange discussed on a few forums and I always hear the "classic" Strange is super powerful and the current Strange is powered down. I don't know if you read Dr. Strange comics but if you do, could "classic" Strange take down Thanos sans Infinity Gauntlet?

@ehtheist

I've seen Dr. Strange discussed on a few forums and I always hear the "classic" Strange is super powerful and the current Strange is powered down. I don't know if you read Dr. Strange comics but if you do, could "classic" Strange take down Thanos sans Infinity Gauntlet?

Yes, probably. Classic Strange was a bit like Silver Age Superman or Adam West’s Batman – the writers back then used plot devices like it was going out of style. Classic Strange always had some magical trick of, when you thought about it, *immense* power he could pull out at the 11th hour and banish the bad guy back to Agamemnon’s butt crack.

Comics were different back then. I’m reading through classic Thor right now and Thor, who through the 90’s and 2000’s routinely got trounced by Thanos, was pulling tricks out in the 60’s which were *far* above his power scale for the decades that followed – and then he’d never use them again even when it would be an easy solution to his weekly life-threatening challenge. Comics were just different back then, and classic Strange probably would have had an anti-Titan spell handy for a fight with Thanos. It’s almost apples to oranges, with comics in the late 70’s, 80’s and 90’s becoming a bit more grounded before they started going all DBZ in the 2000’s, but I strongly suspect classic Strange would take out Thanos. Hell, even current Strange would pose an interesting challenge for Thanos, though I think Thanos would take it. That being said, I’ve heard that Strange with all of his artifacts is Skyfather level, with Thanos being a low-Skyfather level, so..

If you’re interested, here are the real geeks on the subject…

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/dr-strange-vs-thanos-402989/

Post #39 is particularly informative.

Yes, probably. Classic Strange was a bit like Silver Age Superman or Adam West’s Batman – the writers back then used plot devices like it was going out of style. Classic Strange always had some magical trick of, when you thought about it, *immense* power he could pull out at the 11th hour and banish the bad guy back to Agamemnon’s butt crack.

Comics were different back then. I’m reading through classic Thor right now and Thor, who through the 90’s and 2000’s routinely got trounced by Thanos, was pulling tricks out in the 60’s which were *far* above his power scale for the decades that followed – and then he’d never use them again even when it would be an easy solution to his weekly life-threatening challenge. Comics were just different back then, and classic Strange probably would have had an anti-Titan spell handy for a fight with Thanos. It’s almost apples to oranges, with comics in the late 70’s, 80’s and 90’s becoming a bit more grounded before they started going all DBZ in the 2000’s, but I strongly suspect classic Strange would take out Thanos. Hell, even current Strange would pose an interesting challenge for Thanos, though I think Thanos would take it. That being said, I’ve heard that Strange with all of his artifacts is Skyfather level, with Thanos being a low-Skyfather level, so..

If you’re interested, here are the real geeks on the subject…

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/dr-strange-vs-thanos-402989/

Post #39 is particularly informative.
I knew exactly what you meant when you said Adam West's Batman. I think there is a clip floating around of him randomly pulling out shark repellent to stave off a shark attack lol

I hope they don't have that version of Dr. Strange in the movie because that "because I'm Batman" gimmick got old years ago

Thanos is much smarter

I knew exactly what you meant when you said Adam West's Batman. I think there is a clip floating around of him randomly pulling out shark repellent to stave off a shark attack lol

I hope they don't have that version of Dr. Strange in the movie because that "because I'm Batman" gimmick got old years ago

Yeah, that type of stuff. Comics were... Silly back then. I would be shocked if they pulled out that kind of thing in the new Dr.Strange movie - Strange hasn't been like that for a long, long time.

Back