Marvel Comic Characters vs Their MCU Counterparts

Horse Style

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
This is not a "who is stronger" thing. This is about which is being written better, personality-wise, character-wise, etc.?

After reading some Avengers and Iron Man comics, RDJ's Iron Man is much better than the comic one. It's probably because comic writers are nerdy and out-of-touch but RDJ's portrayal is much more believable as a genius playboy just trying to do the right thing.

MCU Thor > Comic Thor. He's funnier and that Shakespearean speak gets old fast
Comic Cap > MCU Cap. MCU Cap is a little too soft. Comic Cap has a bit more of an edge
MCU Doc Strange > Comic Doc Strange. Again, the silly comic way of talking is annoying.

MCU Thanos >>>>>> Comic Thanos. Comic Thanos is a giant purple lapdog for death and no matter how many people he kills, he'll still look pathetic because of his motivation.

Let's hear the opinion of the Sherdog Legion of Nerds. How do the comic and MCU versions of these characters compare?

Oh, and Comic Wolverine >>>>>> Movie Wolverine, without question

Deadpool 2 finally gave some props to Juggernaut, didn't go out the way i expected but what a way to go out! Bring it!

Movie Iron Man is actually based on Ultimates Iron Man, who was a reboot of the original iron man. Original iron man is rather boring. MCU cap is pretty close to comic cap, although comic cap is still slightly better imo. I'd take movie Thor over comic thor. Movie strange is good, but pales in comparison to comic strange who is practically a god.

Movie Widow sucks. Hawkeye is better, Falcon is meh. Fury was based on Samuel L Jackson in the ultimates comics, so pretty accurate there.

In many cases, I like the MCU versions better than their comic book originals. I'd read Iron Man comics, but I wasn't a massive fan of the character until the first movie. The character was a B-list superhero. RDJ turned him into a cultural icon, with a level of recognition that rivals Batman and Superman.

Thanos in the comics is a complete dick. He wants to wipe out all life in the universe just so he can bump uglies with Death. He's a selfish psychopath who tortured his own mother to death. While MCU Thanos' actions are still horrifying, he believes what he does is a necessary evil in the service of the greater good.

Red Skull in the comics is an unrepentant Nazi who considered Hitler a father figure. Most of his plans in the comics are attempts to break and kill Captain America while bringing about the Fourth Reich. MCU Red Skull is the Jew Hunter with Superpowers. He doesn't give a fuck about Hitler or Nazism. Indeed, he plans to kill the Fuhrer and wipe Berlin off the map. The Nazis are a means to an end, no more. In the comic tie-in to First Avenger, Schmidt admits to Dr Erskin that he regards the Nazis theories on racial superiority with contempt. Although this is mainly because he considers himself superior to all types of human, so racism of any kind is irrelevant to him.

In many cases, I like the MCU versions better than their comic book originals. I'd read Iron Man comics, but I wasn't a massive fan of the character until the first movie. The character was a B-list superhero. RDJ turned him into a cultural icon, with a level of recognition that rivals Batman and Superman.

Thanos in the comics is a complete dick. He wants to wipe out all life in the universe just so he can bump uglies with Death. He's a selfish psychopath who tortured his own mother to death. While MCU Thanos' actions are still horrifying, he believes what he does is a necessary evil in the service of the greater good.

Red Skull in the comics is an unrepentant Nazi who considered Hitler a father figure. Most of his plans in the comics are attempts to break and kill Captain America while bringing about the Fourth Reich. MCU Red Skull is the Jew Hunter with Superpowers. He doesn't give a fuck about Hitler or Nazism. Indeed, he plans to kill the Fuhrer and wipe Berlin off the map. The Nazis are a means to an end, no more. In the comic tie-in to First Avenger, Schmidt admits to Dr Erskin that he regards the Nazis theories on racial superiority with contempt. Although this is mainly because he considers himself superior to all types of human, so racism of any kind is irrelevant to him.
Another thing about certain comic characters is that the one who gain reality-shaping powers and are ugly as sin don't change their appearance. People are vain as hell.

Even among his native people, Thanos was considered an ugly son of the bitch. His momma even wanted to kill him as a baby. The first thing he would do with the IG is turn into a normal color and get rid of that croissant chin. If nothing else, then to make his chances at banging Death a bit better.

Same with the Marquis of Death and Doctor Doom

The comics are almost always better. They just have had so much time to flesh out the characters personalities and powers its impossible for a movie to beat that.
The only exception for me would be Guardians of the Galaxy, but I never really followed them so I could be wrong. Draxx is way different in the movies.

Ultimate Cap, Iron Man, Widow, and Hawkeye are the best versions of those characters.
Only Norton's Hulk sucked. Bana/ Ruffalo just need another solo movie.
MCU Thor only got really cool in IW. Even Ragnarok, which I've decided to love, doesn't do Thor justice (first 2 Thor movies are garbage).

The comics are almost always better. They just have had so much time to flesh out the characters personalities and powers its impossible for a movie to beat that.
The only exception for me would be Guardians of the Galaxy, but I never really followed them so I could be wrong. Draxx is way different in the movies.

Ultimate Cap, Iron Man, Widow, and Hawkeye are the best versions of those characters.
Only Norton's Hulk sucked. Bana/ Ruffalo just need another solo movie.
MCU Thor only got really cool in IW. Even Ragnarok, which I've decided to love, doesn't do Thor justice (first 2 Thor movies are garbage).

That said, Norton had one of the funniest MCU lines.

"Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry."

I don't feel this is a fair question. Different writers have given different takes on characters personalities. For instance, there was a big difference between how Ed Brubaker or Frank Miller would write Daredevil, vs. say, Stan Lee. It's a lot harder to get a good grasp of the comic versions, given the decades of stories vs. the movies where they're all relatively recent.

As much as I lust for ScarJo, comic book Black Widow is still more sultry.

Movie Iron Man is actually based on Ultimates Iron Man, who was a reboot of the original iron man. Original iron man is rather boring. MCU cap is pretty close to comic cap, although comic cap is still slightly better imo. I'd take movie Thor over comic thor. Movie strange is good, but pales in comparison to comic strange who is practically a god.

Movie Widow sucks. Hawkeye is better, Falcon is meh. Fury was based on Samuel L Jackson in the ultimates comics, so pretty accurate there.
Did you catch this season of DD on Netflix?

any b list hero> comics

This is not a "who is stronger" thing. This is about which is being written better, personality-wise, character-wise, etc.?

After reading some Avengers and Iron Man comics, RDJ's Iron Man is much better than the comic one. It's probably because comic writers are nerdy and out-of-touch but RDJ's portrayal is much more believable as a genius playboy just trying to do the right thing.

MCU Thor > Comic Thor. He's funnier and that Shakespearean speak gets old fast
Comic Cap > MCU Cap. MCU Cap is a little too soft. Comic Cap has a bit more of an edge
MCU Doc Strange > Comic Doc Strange. Again, the silly comic way of talking is annoying.

MCU Thanos >>>>>> Comic Thanos. Comic Thanos is a giant purple lapdog for death and no matter how many people he kills, he'll still look pathetic because of his motivation.

Let's hear the opinion of the Sherdog Legion of Nerds. How do the comic and MCU versions of these characters compare?
I agree with everything you said except Thanos. I like the comic one slightly better. The lady death thing was a phase, he's outgrown her now.

But there was something special about a man who was doing all these amazingly evil things all in the name of love.

To a certain extent, yes. But the OG Earth 616 Iron Man had a massive influence on the MCU. Especially his origin story; captured by terrorists, builds a suit to keep him alive and escape, which is taken almost wholesale from the classic Extremis story line by Warren Ellis.

I don't think Iron Man gets better than Robert Downey Jr., nor Paul Bettany as Vision, but I think I just mean they're much more likable. With all the characters I have to say that the comic book versions are superior by virtue of having such long and storied histories, but the film versions definitely distill some of them into their finest versions. MCU Cap reflects the best of the comic book version.

Too bad Blade doesn't count. Wesley's definitely the A+ model.

I was really hoping for pictures. I’m not about to read shit.

tenor.gif

Movie Reed Richards (i know it’s FOX) sucked compared to his comic persona. Dr. Doom was also a bust. They did nail Human Torch and Thing so not all bad. Invisible Woman sucks in the comics and Alba is way hotter so that balanced out.

Back