Martial arts for an injured fighter?

FrankGardner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I injured my leg last month (tore my ACL) from sparring and cannot spar until like around nov-feb. What martial arts can I still do with a bad leg? I was told by my doctor that I can still practice as long as I am not sparring in the meantime. So would tai chi be a good idea, i see a lot of old people doing that so i figure that must not be very strenuous. I also heard that Eskrima/Kali may be a good option since it involves mainly weapons. Any advice?

I tore my MCL & had numerous broken bones (feet / ankle / knee / leg) from a motorcycle wreck. Not the same injury as the ACL but, it limited me in what I could do.
After getting off crutches I went right back to my BJJ class.
Everyone in the school knew of my injuries so I had no problems with someone spazzing on me. I just trained technique with a non resisting partner during the instructional portion of the classes & didn't roll during the open mat portion unless someone wanted to review what was taught in class.
One thing my Doc did insist on was me not training with the 320# kid since he was afraid that I could re-injure myself straining to move his weight even if he wasn't resisting.
IMO go back to class as long as it's cool with your Doc.

Back