Martial Artists I need your help: Martial Arts Practicality

lion paw

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Does martial arts training help or hinder an individual who's trying to defend themselves outside of the dojo or training environment? When you're studying martial arts in a controlled environment (tournament or classes) can it hinder someone if they get into a real life altercation because they've acclimated themselves to the fighting style?
The reason I asks is because I've thought about it after reading and watching television( bad but whatev.) For example, when Fred Ettich fought in one of the UFC bouts, he was a black belt in a traditional martial art and all of his training looked like it went out of the window when Jhonny Rhodes beat him senseless.
There's a website called "No Nonsense Self defense" where the creator of the site talks about street fighting, criminal behavior, etc. The creator, according to his website is a martial artist, former bouncer, and bodyguard.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Does martial arts training help or hinder an individual who's trying to defend themselves outside of the dojo or training environment? When you're studying martial arts in a controlled environment (tournament or classes) can it hinder someone if they get into a real life altercation because they've acclimated themselves to the fighting style?
The reason I asks is because I've thought about it after reading and watching television( bad but whatev.) For example, when Fred Ettich fought in one of the UFC bouts, he was a black belt in a traditional martial art and all of his training looked like it went out of the window when Jhonny Rhodes beat him senseless.
There's a website called "No Nonsense Self defense" where the creator of the site talks about street fighting, criminal behavior, etc. The creator, according to his website is a martial artist, former bouncer, and bodyguard.

It would only hinder you if you are under the impression that it is imbuing you with readiness and skills relevant to the street, i.e. if your training deludes you into false confidence. Since it is no longer 1993, at this point if you are practicing mcdojo kung fu and are confident you are going to handle any situation on the street, you are probably a little bit developmentally delayed. For just about everyone else with some amount of aliveness in their training, (and the self awareness to be asking this question), they are not necessarily going to be competent in a self defence situation, but the training will only help vs how they would perform if they had no training at all.

Martial arts training is like any other training - you get out of it what you put in. Training needs to be realistic eg you are striking/grappling against resistance (opponents/bags/pads etc). If you aren't hitting others and getting hit it isn't realistic for self defence. The main benefit imo of "reality based self defence" stuff is essentially learning spatial awareness and how to not be a target.

Just as if you "lift" at the gym but in reality only do light weight on machines with low intensity you won't see the real benefits of a proper programme if you LARP about in a dojo without ever hitting/being hit/rolling etc you won't see much benefit either.

As for "X martial art is better than Y" yes to an extent it is true. Combat sports like boxing/MT/Judo/wrestling/BJJ have a better track record, are known for their "aliveness" and are less likely to be a McDojo but that doesn't mean all TMA's are rubbish or that all BJJ/kickboxing schools are legit. Every school is different and a lot depends on your location and coach (eg Judo in Japan is generally way tougher than here in the UK).

Most importantly "for the streets" is to understand the reality of violence. You need to be prepared to hurt people and to get hurt because bad guys don't care about the consequences and won't hesitate. Training needs to reflect this.
My biggest beef with a lot of TMA's (and sport BJJ) is the idea of not hurting your opponent - which is almost impossible and will most likely get you hurt. If you are ever in a street fight you need to hit first and don't stop until the threat is neutralised. If you hesitate because you are worried about legal/social consequences or feel bad about hurting your opponent you've already lost.

And always remember strength and cardio matter a lot. The best way to avoid trouble in the first place is to look like someone who isn't worth messing with.

The best for the street is combat sports, and when u become a decent figther with the combat sport training.. the street fight is easy, most people don't know how to fight, the "scary" figthers r in the gym, not in the street

This has been covered many many times.

Basically the person with training will usually win on paper. But it comes down to who is more aggressive and more willing to fight usually.

Marc mcyoung's articles often makes a lot of sense though I have no idea of whether his background his legit.

There are no guarantees - u could train a whole lifetime doing martial arts and martial sports and freeze up in a real life incident. The more realistic and non consensual the sparring the higher the chance u can reproduce it if the excrement hits the fan but again there are no certainties. Especially when weapons enter the equation as they usually do in a crime situation, all bets are off. Martial art proficiency doesn't turn one into chuck norris- just increases ones chances to get away in one piece.

To me the best utility of training is self control and the ability to keep your wits about u under stress and fight or flee instinct and not to be so overwhelmed with the adrenaline pump or to be so terrified that u cannot function but instead u can still think quickly and be relatively calm. As well as the self controol and ability to not get yourself in dangerous situations in the first place as in to defuse tense situations instead of escalating or to not go to the night club in the middle of the night when drinks and women and over aggressive youths wanting to prove themselves are all over the place.

Most consensual type fights or what mcyoung calls the monkey dance can be avoided when your head is screwed on right. Its the non consensual criminal incident that u really need to train for - against the weapon wielding perp or peeps. Best remedy for that when the police are not around is a licensed firearm and the ability and skill to use it effectively but in places where that is not available it really is a crap shoot as they say that ucan only move the odds in your favour to a limited extent.

And yet namajunas knocked out zhang who has trained a lot in muay thai with a tkd kick.

Every martial art has merit in the right context and situation and there are useful tools and attributes in every martial system - some more than others true but there will be useful stuff to learn and incorporate.

There's a Bruce Lee quote from his "Tao of Jeet June Do" that really made me step away from Eastern martial arts trying to offer too many techniques for everything.

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times."

If you are sharp in your movement and reaction time. If you know how/when he can hit you at different ranges, and have calm conviction, you will do better than you think.

A well-practiced jab, smart footwork, and keeping your hands up will get you pretty far for self defense (if all other options have been exhausted).

People train for different reasons. Some for fun, for health or for practical use.

Doing BJJ sounds good on paper for example and is probably a nice community but especially if you end up in sport BJJ it is one of the worst options for self defence; no striking, no ability to take it to the ground with throws or takedowns, submissions without awareness of strikes, useless against more than one person.

Developing a powerful punch and drilling it is key.
As has been mentioned having situational awareness.
Ability to take strikes and getting used to it also.

Any style which gives you a good punch is good then you have to drill it yourself to make it workable. Limit your tools and work on mastering a few basic strikes and delivering with finishing power.
Some grappling is good to have as a back up. Learn some finishing holds at least like a RNC you don't need to be learning the ins outs of a berimbindo hold or whatever.

Alot of what you need for the fundamentals of unarmed self defence in typical situations is in this vid.

The best for the street is combat sports, and when u become a decent figther with the combat sport training.. the street fight is easy, most people don't know how to fight, the "scary" figthers r in the gym, not in the street

Me personally, I have almost no formal training. A few years of TKD as a kid, a smidgen of boxing and I was doing mma for a few weeks until the Rona' shut that down. I did it for fun and to learn some things. That and I find weight lifting incredibly boring. I've never been in a confrontation on the street and would like to "be ready" when reasoning fails or when danger pops it's head out.

I feel like all that Krav Maga and self defense stuff can give you a false sense of security. In theory a lot of that stuff may work, but who knows what's gonna happen and how you will react when it actually goes down.

Most effective and suitable for most situations will always be dropping someone with a hard punch to the face, so every martial art / combat sport that includes that is gonna be helpful.

Some grappling experience is good too, just to get a feel for the weight and strength of another person and knowing how to get up from the ground if you have to.

Me personally, I have almost no formal training. A few years of TKD as a kid, a smidgen of boxing and I was doing mma for a few weeks until the Rona' shut that down. I did it for fun and to learn some things. That and I find weight lifting incredibly boring. I've never been in a confrontation on the street and would like to "be ready" when reasoning fails or when danger pops it's head out.

This maybe would help u

I can think of a situation where training did work against me. It wasn't because the training was flawed but rather I used it in the wrong situation. I was jumped by three untrained guys. They were hesitant to really come near me because I think they could sense that I knew how to fight. One guy finally gathered up some courage and just bumrushed me, first punch he threw I ducked under and quickly took him down which ended up being a big mistake because it made it easier for the other guys to surround me and just kick and punch me on the ground. I got my ass kicked. There were two other occasions where I was jumped as a kid and had zero training but I kicked the other kids asses just by being aggressive and throwing punches.

Back