Law 'Marry-your-rapist' bill to be introduced by lawmakers in Turkey

There is kinda the same law in Russia, but not about rape, just about sex with human under the age of consent. I think just yesterday there were a TV programme (on Russian TV) about 13 years old girl who had sex with 10 years old boy and got pregnant (by the end of the programme experts said that according to blood test and shit that boy doesn't have a testosterone and this and that and doesn't look like she got pregnant from him). And on this programme they bring in other girls who got in same stories, one had sex with her boyfriend when she was 17 and he was 14, gor pregnant, they married, if I'm not mistaken when the boy was 16 and she avoided jail/prison.
Also sometimes TV shows in news that kind of stories about minorities and their traditions -- Roma Gypsies, for example (something like 10 years old boy having a wife (not official wife, but Gypsies recongizes her as such) years older than him).
That's basically what the Turkish law is. Its for cases of statutory rape where there isn't "violence or threats" used, presumably instances where the sex in question wouldn't be illegal if the two were legally able to give consent.

Still pretty weird. Of course age of consent laws sometimes end up criminalizing sexual contact that really isn't a big deal, like sex between teenagers that are on either side of the age of consent line. But the better solution is a Romeo and Juliet clause which does not criminalize sexual contact that wouldn't be illegal if the two were legally able to give consent and are within a certain age difference.
I don't favor violent rapists getting away with their assaults by marrying the woman.

I understand if you consider it "rape" just having sex with a girl under 18, that a 24 year old would be better off marrying a 17 year old than going to jail, if the girl was down in the first place. If the girl agrees to the marriage willingly, I'm not completely offended. If after a violent rape is committed and a woman is then forced to marry the guy just because he wants to marry her, then Turkish people need to revolt and their government be condemned by the world.
The law doesn't apply if violence or coercion is used. I see your point, I don't think the law is as egregious as it sounds at first. But it just seems like an inferior solution to the problem when compared to Romeo and Juliet clause. Imagine two teenagers just fucking around but the boy is just a year too old and then they get caught. Now they have to fucking marry just so he doesn't go to jail? Pretty heavy commitment to ask of young people who probably didn't think the whole thing through beyond the orgasm.

Most of that weird shit takes place is kurdish communities. White people love the gurds.
Yeah the Kurds have the reputation of being secular because of the YPG and Ocalan and stuff but its my understanding that the average Kurd in Turkey is actually more religious and less secular than the average Turk. In fact the Kurds were one of the constituencies that helped elect Erdogan over and over again to the point that they voted more for the AKP than for the Kurdish nationalist party.

As long as the rape victim isn’t forced to do it then I’m fine with it.

Yeah, but everyone has taken their shit for so long because they are the bridge between Europe and the middle east. They are actually looked at with respect in the UN and everyone else is begging for them to adult up, but like you said they refuse to play ball and just want to do their own thing, while also being allies with China and Russia.
Location, location, location is not only a great rule for real estate, but nation building as well. Was one key in American success, the reason why Arabian peninsulas aren't still living in tents, why central Europe is still years behind their neighbors and why Turkey is still relevant.

But yeah, I agree.

As long as the rape victim isn’t forced to do it then I’m fine with it.
Hmm. I see your point but consider two points of mine.

For one, that would make it better for the minor but consider the other person. Imagine a 19 year old boy has sex with a 17 year old girl and they get caught. Despite the fact that the girl may have been a willing participant she may not want to marry that boy despite being more than willing to have sex with him and because of that he will go to jail. This could be circumvented with a temporary marriage just to get him off the hook but you have to expect that won't happen every time.

Second, consider that the minor's agreement may not be free of coercion. Not from the adult who had sex with her but from their family. In conservative regions regions of the world you have an honor culture where the family may pressure the minor to marry the adult just to preserve their honor. In Brazil its not unheard of for minors to marry adults if they become pregnant by them for this reason(but also to marry out of the favelas).

I know it's a different culture and hard to judge... but that seems to be something that would have been considered absurd in the Dark Ages.
Really ?

Deuteronomy 22:28-29 “If a man meets a virgin who is not betrothed, and seizes her and lies with her, and they are found, then the man who lay with her shall give to the father of the young woman fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife, because he has violated her.

While working overseas on the Chevron Tengiz TCO project in Kraphstan, Turks were used as cheap supervision over local unskilled Kazakh labor. They thought it’d be cool to drug, rape, video, local women and then show their workers the hilarious video....which resulted in a massive riot in which I was nearly killed. Who knew Kazakh males wouldn’t appreciate their women being raped?

Fuck the Turks.

Hmm. I see your point but consider two points of mine.

For one, that would make it better for the minor but consider the other person. Imagine a 19 year old boy has sex with a 17 year old girl and they get caught. Despite the fact that the girl may have been a willing participant she may not want to marry that boy despite being more than willing to have sex with him and because of that he will go to jail. This could be circumvented with a temporary marriage just to get him off the hook but you have to expect that won't happen every time.

Second, consider that the minor's agreement may not be free of coercion. Not from the adult who had sex with her but from their family. In conservative regions regions of the world you have an honor culture where the family may pressure the minor to marry the adult just to preserve their honor. In Brazil its not unheard of for minors to marry adults if they become pregnant by them for this reason(but also to marry out of the favelas).

I mean yeah, of course, it’s not that clear cut. The case for a legitimate hope for redemption, which I support, might be rare.

I think this would apply to statutory rape wouldnt it? these kind of laws arent that old as people think.

Its different because usually laws more forward not backwards, it would be like America passing a law re-legalizing marital rape.
Was statutory rape marriage in the US ever... illegal though?

They seem be somehow going in the opposite direction the past decade, which is so bizarre. The Turkey I visited in the early 2000s seemed pretty tolerant for an Islamic nation. It's the same in Iran. Iran was pretty modernized in terms of stuff like this (for an Islamic country) before the revolution.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if somehow this passed in an amended form, but it seems on the surface like this would make it legal for sexual predators to target the daughters of rich families for rape in order to improve their station in life. And would it be limited to one? Since Islam allows polygamy.

"somehow"...hrm...can't put your finger on it yet, huh?

Huh? According to the media I thought the USA was the most misogynistic, sexist place around and is bursting at the seems with toxic masculinity? It's even ranked as one of the worst countries for women to live in according to some academic studies! Is Turkey a new US state?

Allah approves
iu

Yes, let’s compare an actual law that is being pushed TODAY, to old biblical laws nobody follows here.

Weak whataboutisms.

It's already an observed law in the UK, where the police have uncovered a large network of immigrant gangs caught doing this but refuse to go after them. They were already refusing to prosecute "honor killings" because leftist government literally makes the argument that government should honor backwards laws from other countries over its own. This makes it easier for crimes by the government and those with authority to blend in, that's probably why.

It can't get better, it can only get worse if it's not punished but protected by those in power.

This is what "progressive" looks like.
I've never heard of honour killings not being prosecuted? Can you please provide a source?

Back