Marketability of Islam Makhachev

He doesn’t have the charisma of Khabib or Khamzat, but who cares? Look at Petr Yan, Stipe, and Jan. How marketable would they be if they were’t champions? Bottom line, gimmicks and colorful personalities are fun but at the end of day winning is what counts.

Islam can garner similar attention if he keeps winning especially against big names. But even if he beats Dober - who is a good opponent - it won’t boost him much as both are ranked pretty low. A breakout performance against an RDA, Tony, or Kevin Lee would get him noticed.

He doesn’t have the charisma of Khabib or Khamzat, but who cares? Look at Petr Yan, Stipe, and Jan. How marketable would they be if they were’t champions? Bottom line, gimmicks and colorful personalities are fun but at the end of day winning is what counts.

Islam can garner similar attention if he keeps winning especially against big names. But even if he beats Dober - who is a good opponent - it won’t boost him much as both are ranked pretty low. A breakout performance against an RDA, Tony, or Kevin Lee would get him noticed.
Jan is exciting in his own ways. Attracts the crazy metal head types. Guy seems a bit nuts upstairs but still kind sorta thing

Honestly, I think it depends on his ability to still win as he has many noobie fair weather fans and Conor haters. I've noticed alot of macho type Muslim men (see Mohammed Hijab and Ali Dawah) have attached their wagons to guys like Khabib and Islam, but as soon as they get embarrassed or KO'd they will flee the sinking ship. It is kind of like how all these SJW type AWFL women jumped the Rousey ship as soon as she was KO'd and this sect of LARP'ing world found out she could not even beat another woman, never mind Cain Velasquez or Floyd Mayweather.

I actually feel bad for guys like Islam & Khabib, the expectations put on them to win and represent their people and religion are immense, and I understand why he and Islam were so badly crying when they lost. I am not sure I have ever seen a male fighter cry so badly after a simple second UFC fight, or ever one cry from losing a simple Sambo tournament......Sadulaev responded in a similar way when Snyder beat him. It all very much reminded me of the way Rousey handled her losses in Judo and UFC.

Back