Mark Schultz having a change of heart on Foxcatcher

Another lie from Mark's interview:

After I won (an Ultimate Fighting Championship in 1996), I hurt my back. I never competed again. I was 36 years old and I was done. I was really happy I won UFC. Winning UFC was extremely critical for me -- without it I don't think I could have written my story.

source: http://www.oregonlive.com/books/index.ssf/2014/12/mark_schultz_talks_about_foxca.html

First of all, you didn't "win UFC" you won a fight in the UFC. When you say you won UFC you're implying that you were one of the early tournament winners. Then you go on to say you never competed after that fight, which according to sherdog's fightfinder, you lost to Leopoldo Montenegro in 2003. So I guess your wins count but not your losses?

Parenthetical notes like that one tend to be added by the person writing the article for clarification. So the actual quote goes "After I won, I hurt my back..." Blame the author, not Schultz.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe Mark isn't a super duper hardcore MMA fan and looks at it as 98% of the rest of the general public and that a single mma fight equals "teh ufc"?

I bet you don't even trane ufc bruh

Your statement is all wrong.

Mark fought in it, he trained for it, he knew the rules, he knows he didnt win the tournament.

Yeah and Rikson didnt knew the rules for Sambo.

I don't blame him. The movie really wasn't that good. It fucked the timeline up royally (having Dave get shot a few months after Mark left instead of 7 fucking years after) and basically flat out said that John Du Pont would dry hump Mark Schultz. Which may have happened but Mark never said anything to support that unlike other wrestlers that rolled through there later.

The movie is really sad and paints a great picture of Dave Schultz...other than that it really isn't that insightful or interesting. And if you know the actual timeline of events it kind of ruins the forced narrative that they try to shoehorn in.

Back