Mark Rippetoe on the Deadlift

Quote from Mark Rippetoe:
Mark Rippetoe said:
I know of no better example of functional strength than a 600-pound deadlift. Except a 700-pound deadlift. That's what strength is: the ability to generate force, and the "functional" part is really just a qualifier. Because when you're that strong, it's functional. That's the part that has the modern "academic" wing of the fitness industry in such a fog just now.

This is contradictory to a lot of what I've read here in S&P. Its been beaten into my head that for DL you want your shoulders behind the bar (only Oly lifts have the shoulders infront). I'm curious to see what the heavy hitters have to say about this.

This is contradictory to a lot of what I've read here in S&P. Its been beaten into my head that for DL you want your shoulders behind the bar (only Oly lifts have the shoulders infront). I'm curious to see what the heavy hitters have to say about this.

show me threads.

I think he's referring to the oft quoted Dave Tate article where he talks about shoulders behind the bar. I believe Rippetoe and Tate discussed this somewhere, let me try to dig it up..

Do whatever is comfortable for you. If you want your shoulders behind the bar sweet. If you want them over or infront? have a good time. Wanna pull sumo? give me a how ya doin' and I'll see ya later. Do whatever allows you to lift more becuase everyone is different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugJZi50KR2Q&feature=related

Shoulders over bar. enjoy it. Have a good one.

that link is not working for me, Donut. Blast beats is right though, the dave tate articles on deadlift say shoulders behind bar since it all ready puts force on the bar to lift off the ground and as far as i know S&P has lived off those articles.

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/2006/11/a_new_rather_long_analysis_of.html

Here's the conversation. Mark, unfortunately, didn't want to post the conversation he and Dave Tate had because it's not his policy. Rippetoe backs up his point well. Find me any side view of a good deadlift, and I guarantee the shoulders are in front of the bar and scapula over the hands. I almost wonder if Tate's comments aren't meant to be a cue to make sure you are pulling back with the shoulders and driving the hips forward, and not trying to hyperextend the lower back.

EDIT: Read further, that appears to be the case as Chase points out below.

I think he's referring to the oft quoted Dave Tate article where he talks about shoulders behind the bar. I believe Rippetoe and Tate discussed this somewhere, let me try to dig it up..

From here:
Mark Rippetoe said:
The comments from Westside regarding "shoulders behind the bar" were intended to be cues for coaching, not a biomechanical analysis of the lift. Dave Tate explained this to me in our conversation. He agrees with me about scapula position off the floor, and anyone can look at videos of heavy deadlifts and make this observation themselves. I feel that a good understanding of the mechanics of the movement allows you to form your own cues, and is the most useful tool for developing correct technique."

so its just a mindset?

Many times people will try to start the deadlift like they're doing a barbell row. The "shoulders back" cue is an attempt to get the lifter to sit back, keep their hips down and start the pull with their shoulders over the bar instead of in front of it like you would in a row.

Hard to find good pic's of a deadlift from a side view, but here's one. Notice how the arms are down and the shoulders are slightly in front of the bar.

1983SRSnew.jpg

I haven't read the article yet, but I think you guys are confusing shoulder vs. shoulder blade. Scapula over bar will inherently mean deltoids in front of bar, and this is what you want in the deadlift.

This thread along with the "Rippetoe teaches SOHP" thread are very informative and should be added to the faq or compiled and stickied in a manner similar to the Keith Wassung articles. Along with some of the NerdKing Squat threads.

EDIT: Every Newbie should read threads like this.

isn't it easier to think that you should just star with the bar against the shins?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back