Mark Kerr :Then & Now

El Titere********

Grand Champion
Reaction score
Mark Kerr is just one of many fighters who fell under the weight of his profession, fame and lifestyle. All sports have their Mark Kerr's and some never get the chance to turn it all around. Mark may never fight again but I am glad that he seems to have faced his demons and come out still standing and if not enjoying life, at least enjoying life with his son.

The last video I saw him in, he was working at a car dealership and wearing an empty smile. It was utterly depressing.

Article_2_Image_2(1).jpg

I never understood why the Hammer House guys just split up and disappeared into MMA obscurity... They all basically went broke and needed cash. Why not hold onto their livelihood and run gyms and train fighters or even fitness goers?

The original new breed. Oh what could have been.

He should come back to Bellator for one last fight against Kimbo or Ken Shamrock!

I never understood why the Hammer House guys just split up and disappeared into MMA obscurity... They all basically went broke and needed cash. Why not hold onto their livelihood and run gyms and train fighters or even fitness goers?

I've always thought the same about Ken Shamrock. He was an MMA pioneer, and could've capitalized on this. I guess he and Frank's fallout made things difficult, but it's too bad the Lion's Den didn't evolve and open more gyms. It really would've been nice to have a major catch wrestling/BJJ alternative, too. Ken, Frank, Guy Mezger, Erik Paulsen, some of the early Japanese shoot fighters, etc. could've really done something with this idea.

Instead, Ken appears to be paying the bills by fighting in his 50s.

I've always thought the same about Ken Shamrock. He was an MMA pioneer, and could've capitalized on this. I guess he and Frank's fallout made things difficult, but it's too bad the Lion's Den didn't evolve and open more gyms. It really would've been nice to have a major catch wrestling/BJJ alternative, too. Ken, Frank, Guy Mezger, Erik Paulsen, some of the early Japanese shoot fighters, etc. could've really done something with this idea.

Instead, Ken appears to be paying the bills by fighting in his 50s.

According to Frank, Ken was a terrible coach. He just beat the shit out of everybody. When Ken left to wrestle in WWE, he insisted Frank beats the shit out of everybody. Frank didn't like it, so he left. I don't know if they ever made much money from it. It doesn't sound like they accepted students, unless they can handle fighting a pro right off the bat.

I don't think Hammer house was ever a real gym, it was just a bunch of guys who trained together

MFS was pretty much the same thing. Pat didn`t even charge most of the people he trained.

Those were different times. It's a shame, Coleman, Miletich, Frank and Ken should all be loaded. Ken has a gym now, I think Mezger still runs a gym in Dallas as well.

It must really suck having to get a normal job, like 99.99% of the population huh?

It must really suck having to get a normal job, like 99.99% of the population huh?

I think it would suck if you've performed in front of thousands and thousands of people before. I'm happy enough being a working joe, but I've never beaten the shit out of an elite martial artist in front of 90,000 people of course.

I'd expect 95% of the early UFC guys to eventually get real jobs. However, a few bigger names like Mark Coleman and Ken Shamrock could've had a nice living in retirement doing something related to MMA (or at least wrestling, submission wrestling, etc.). Owning a franchise of gyms/training schools, working for the UFC/Bellator, being commentators, having a major show/podcast, something. Matt Hume and Guy Mezger seem to be doing well, and they weren't as famous as Coleman, Kerr or Shamrock.

Of course, it came down to how they played their cards and how long they chose to fight. Hume, Mezger, Frank Shamrock and others made better decisions.

They probably had it in their heads that they could fight forever and never have to take up ordinary jobs. They fought for too long (or tried to) when they would've done alot better outside MMA.

...... Matt Hume and Guy Mezger seem to be doing well, and they weren't as famous as Coleman, Kerr or Shamrock.
Of course, it came down to how they played their cards and how long they chose to fight. Hume, Mezger, Frank Shamrock and others made better decisions.
Hume coached many fighters who became big names later and has gained a good reputation as an elite trainer/coach. Mezger has a good skillset, former kb champ before coming into MMA. Coleman otoh doesn't have enough coaching skills beyond pure wrestling.

That could seriously be a good thing for him.

Maybe. I think he might be a guy kind of like Tyson who is better off if he isn't in the fight game.

I am a Shammy fan but he didn't come off that great on that season of TUF (coach wise).

Back