Mark hunt's potential.

His power.
His chin.
His....bipolarness?

Hunt is my favorite fighter of all time next to Dan Henderson. I feel like he has had a bipolar career. Sometimes he looks masterful, other times he looks terrible. He went from almost being cut from ufc to almost becoming an interim champion.

He's old now too, but sometimes for brief moments he looks like a guy who is levels above his opponent. Then he gets shut out by Blaydes. When he fought Werdum, he was beating him, and then got KO'd.

Sure he got beat by Stipe, JDS, Reem, etc....but this is an OLD hunt. Lets be honest, he's been an old fighter for a while now.

I honestly think if hunt came into the ufc now as a young man, he might have been the greatest heavyweight ever. I don't think mark hunt has ever reached his true potential, only in sporadic moments.

Hunt KO Oleynik round 1

he been in the ufc since 2008. he was even lucky to get into the ufc to start with. he had to sue the ufc to start with

Against JDS, he was doing great but JdS landed the only headkick hes ever landed.. And its a spinning ko heal kick.

JDS won the two first rounds, including a knock down in the first. Then knocked Hunt out in the 3rd. Hunt wasn't close to winning that fight, if that's what you're suggesting.

JDS won the two first rounds, including a knock down in the first. Then knocked Hunt out in the 3rd. Hunt wasn't close to winning that fight, if that's what you're suggesting.[/QUOT
No, im not.

That was a high level mma striking match at HW. JDS clearly won

But Hunt was countering him really well, and i bet if you look up the scorecards judges gave him a round. Its been years so i cant really say that confidently, but u remember him doing well against the former champ.

Either way, he was like 39 years old back then.. With 60 plus fights under his belt... He was a shot old man when he fought in the ufc

And he still nearly won gold.

Hes 10 times the fighter JDS is.

The k1 title he won.. Especially considering his stature.

Its very, very impreesive.

JDS may have been on the sauce vs hunt

Young Hunt throwing some bombs 2:07 that uppercut<Eek2.0>

Young Hunt throwing some bombs 2:07 that uppercut<Eek2.0>

Being completely honest

DC or Stipe are totally fucked if a prime hunt has the defensive wrestling and grappling of hunt today.

They have zero chance if they cant get a takedown

L

Samoans are naturally tough as hell. They're huge people, with a lot of power, and big - boned.

Hunto fits the mold physically, he's just been in a TON of wars over the years, and he's getting up there in age.

If head butts were legal Hunt would be in GOAT contention.

He is supposed to be some amazing striker, yet got outstruct against literally every single elite fighter he has fought in last 10 years or so. The only reason people symphatize with him is because he is fat. Fans like fighters that resemble themselves when they look at the mirror

Hunt is a legendary fighter. Og of mixfight and kickbox. We should all appreciate what he did to his body.

I don’t know man... young man hunt got finished by Manhoef and Mousasi.

I don’t think thats a recipe for best heavyweight ever. Still a badass though.

Hunt by his own admission got really lazy after Pride and barely trained until Dana offered to buy him out of his contract following that first UFC loss.

Last edited:
The guy started his career in fighting in 1999. Had tons of legendary wars in K1. Then decided for a career change in his mid 30s and has fought some of the most dangerous fighters we know. He beat both Crocop and Silva and had Fedor in a bad position in pride when he barely had a ground game. Then he had a huge losing steak, lay offs and fought against some of the best HW's in the UFC while pushing near 40. That's rare as hell.

Mark Hunt is a 5'10 fat kick boxer fighting at HW with limited ground game at the ripe age of 44 with over 19 years of wear on him. The dude just lost a boring wrestling decision to Curtis Blaydes whose probably next in line for the title shot.

So yeah- he would've been scary as hell if he started his career earlier, was in better shape, and had a ground game.

JDS won the two first rounds, including a knock down in the first. Then knocked Hunt out in the 3rd. Hunt wasn't close to winning that fight, if that's what you're suggesting.

Not he wasn't but he certainly had his moments backing Jnr up and I suspect a younger quicker Hunt would have done better.

He is supposed to be some amazing striker, yet got outstruct against literally every single elite fighter he has fought in last 10 years or so. The only reason people symphatize with him is because he is fat. Fans like fighters that resemble themselves when they look at the mirror

Like who

Hunt had an amazing career and honestly he could have easily been champ.

Werdum straight up got lucky in that fight. I credit him for being fearless and confidently throwing huge knees against a high level k1 striker. But they could fight 20 times and Werdum wouldnt replicate that.

Against JDS, he was doing great but JdS landed the only headkick hes ever landed.. And its a spinning ko heal kick.

So yea i think hunt got the shit end of the stick in those fights. But when your gameplan is to just hit harder and be tougher than everyone.. Well it backfires when your in your late 30s.

I think hes one of the best fighters on the roster. Amazing talent and im glad to see him have sucess late in his career.

He easily could have world champion in multiple orgs.
It just didnt work out that way

I value his k1 championship way more than Werdums ufc hw belt.
You obviously don’t know anything about mma. Casual fan detected.

Just because Hunt was a k1 striker dosen’t mean he has better mma striking than Werdum and Dos Santos. Werdum and Dos Santos are far superior to Hunt in actual Mma striking.

You obviously don’t know anything about mma. Casual fan detected.

Just because Hunt was a k1 striker dosen’t mean he has better mma striking than Werdum and Dos Santos. Werdum and Dos Santos are far superior to Hunt in actual Mma striking.
You call me a casual fan like thats an insult.

I dont have ufc posters or T shirts, and i watch maybe 6 events a year.

But hey, atleast i dont get banned on sherdog constantly for being a twat

Hunt has great potential and definitely a rising star prospect.

Regardless of how his career winds up, I will always remember this as one of the baddest ass moves in all of MMA...
mark-hunt-atomic-butt-drop.gif

Top 5 mma moments.
He was never the most disciplined person, still went to war.

Not sure what kind of money K-1 pays, pretty sure it's not that of the UFC. But due to Mark's lack of ground game, I always felt he'd be better suited for strictly kickboxing. Or maybe even just boxing(where he could potentially make more than in the UFC).

I say this as a huge Mark Hunt fan myself.

The guy started his career in fighting in 1999. Had tons of legendary wars in K1. Then decided for a career change in his mid 30s and has fought some of the most dangerous fighters we know. He beat both Crocop and Silva and had Fedor in a bad position in pride when he barely had a ground game. Then he had a huge losing steak, lay offs and fought against some of the best HW's in the UFC while pushing near 40. That's rare as hell.

Mark Hunt is a 5'10 fat kick boxer fighting at HW with limited ground game at the ripe age of 44 with over 19 years of wear on him. The dude just lost a boring wrestling decision to Curtis Blaydes whose probably next in line for the title shot.

So yeah- he would've been scary as hell if he started his career earlier, was in better shape, and had a ground game.
He was inches from a belt in his 40s.

I dont even think he needed more of a ground game or to lose weight. He would have won that belt if he was say 30, not 40.

Not that the belt means shit anyway, hes already a legend

Back