Mark Hunt on the UFC title: ‘There’s no prestige in that title. There’s no money in that title’

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
Mark Hunt is a legend in combat sports. A K-1 World Grand Prix champion, Hunt is also one of only two men to have competed for both a UFC and Pride heavyweight title. But over the last few years, Hunt has become as known for his battle outside of the cage as for his fights inside it. Following his loss to Brock Lesnar at UFC 200, a fight which was later revealed Lesnar tested positive for performance enhancing drugs, Hunt waged war with the UFC, suing the promotion, Lesnar, and Dana White, alleging a variety of misconduct, including fraud, breach of contract, and racketeering. Ultimately, Hunt’s lawsuit was dismissed by the district court of Nevada but last month, Hunt’s legal team appealed the dismissal and now Hunt is in a holding pattern, waiting for a final decision to continue forward with his suit.

“My personal lawsuit is about the steroids and making it an even playing field,” Hunt told Submission Radio. “I never got a fair go in this company. They keep getting these cheaters and putting them before health, money before health, people and fighters’ health. And that got to a stage where I just had enough of it and I wasn’t getting anywhere. And this will go to trial, which is where I want to go with this lawsuit. And then we’ll see what actually happens, we’ll see what else they’re hiding.”

The last few years of his UFC career, Hunt became one of the most vocal opponents of PEDs in MMA and particularly of the UFC’s handling of them. He also became highly critical of the UFC’s pay structure, feeling that the UFC does not adequately compensate their fighters. And Hunt isn’t alone. A number of fighters have spoken out against the UFC’s compensation this year, and Hunt says there’s good reason for that: because it’s “garbage.”

“There’s no prestige in that title, in the UFC title. There’s no money in that title. And that’s not just me telling you, you can see from the evidence that everyone’s doing,” Hunt said. “Why would you want to be a UFC fighter? Why would you want to be the heavyweight champion of the UFC? Why would you want to be the champion of these things when they’re just f*ckin’ paying them 16 percent? It’s garbage. It’s honestly garbage. When people say to me about the UFC product, I just sit there I cringe and I laugh. I just go, wow, you’re the world champion of wanting to ask for more money (laughs).

“Because there’s no money. You look at the boxing side, when you make it there, you make it there. When you make it to Anthony Joshua status, Joseph Parker, Tyron Fury, you make it. One fight is $100 million, $50 million. I mean, Conor made that money when he transcended to boxing. So, what’s the point of being a UFC fighter?”

Things weren’t always bad between Hunt and the UFC. There’s a well-known story about how when Zuffa acquired Pride FC, they offered to buy Hunt out of his contract instead of offer him any fights. Hunt refused, wanting the fights he was owed, and he then went on the best run of his MMA career, culminating in an interim heavyweight title shot against Fabricio Werdum. But at this point, Hunt says it’s hard to look back fondly on his time with the organization, given all the bitterness that has ensued.

“Yeah, it’s gone real negative because the bad outweigh the good memories,” Hunt said. “At the end of the day, I ended up fighting against them and not the actual competitors. Not fighting for the world title, fighting to make it even, and realizing this isn’t a fair fight here and I’m never gonna get anywhere unless I put up a lawsuit against these guys. It just ended up being bitter. All the good memories were drowned out by the bad.”

Fortunately for Hunt, that part of his career is now over. Hunt left the UFC in 2018 and has not competed since. That will change next month though when Hunt faces former professional rugby player turned professional boxer Paul Gallen in a boxing match on Dec. 16 in Sydney, Australia. For Hunt, it’s an opportunity to clear the air as he nears retirement from combat sports.

“I’m a fighter at heart,” Hunt concluded. “I wanted to finish my career happy instead of being so bitter at fighting and fighting in general. Especially how they run things. I mean, yeah it was a good offer [to fight Paul Gallen]. Things have worked out well, we made a good deal. And it will be one of the biggest events in fighting on this card here in my home town, which I think is awesome. So, what better way than to finish it off with a couple of boxing fights and then move on, I think.

“I want to have six more fights, to be honest, and finish my career happy.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

I'm a huge fan but he fought in Japan his entire career which had no drug testing and paid less money. Sounds like sour grapes from a man too old to compete at that level anymore but an ego and pride too big to admit it.

Plus, if the roids really make you that mad, no one's stopping you from doing them too. I mean, you're 5'10 300 lbs and make a living in cage fighting with a Homer Simpson boxing style, don't tell me you care about your health too much.
In Japan it was accepted there was no testing so he wouldn't have a case to complain about steroid use there. In the UFC he probably had to take 20 blood/piss tests a year from USADA and then got put against known roiders. Not the same situation at all

I'm a huge fan but he fought in Japan his entire career which had no drug testing and paid less money. Sounds like sour grapes from a man too old to compete at that level anymore but an ego and pride too big to admit it.

They keep getting these cheaters and putting them before health, money before health, people and fighters’ health.

If the roids really make you that mad, no one's stopping you from doing them too. I mean, you're 5'10 300 lbs and make a living in cage fighting with a Homer Simpson boxing style, don't tell me you care about your health too much.
Its not that easy. If all fighter are allowed to roid, you need to give them all the same stuff. Otherwise some people will have better juice, because they
a) are able to pay more money for it
b) their national jurisdiction is not as harsh
c) they are more committed of damaging their body permanently

bullshit

He's a morbidly obese cage fighter famous for eating the most CTE inducing shots in history. Health? lol
In general, these guys chose to be cage fighters. And you say with a straight face they're worried about their health? looool
Bro, i dont know if you ever competed in a sport on a reasonable high level, but there is a huge difference in possibly getting CTE as a 50+ year old as a sideeffect of that or purposefully taking a drug that will leave you impotent for the rest of you life, completly shattering your hormon system for years to come, growing you boobs etc.
It might not make sense for you on the outside because the later is medically treatable, but thats just psychology.

He's just mad he's too much of a bum to even get close to winning a title

Playing with Fire making those kind of factual comments lol. This is a Fuck UFC thread, we don't appreciate that kind of Pragmatism here.

Hunts a hero GODDAMIT!

Complaining about Fighter Pay yet buys watches that are worth 50% of his Show Purse....

I skipped till the end. He wants to have 6 more ??

The level of disrespect Hunt gets lately is shocking. Dudes been nothing but a straight up warrior his whole career, never took easy fights, always fought to entertain win or lose, had an iron jaw until his later years and provided some of the sweetest walk away KOs of all time.

He's also absolutely right about what he's saying, I'd take Marks opinion over the UFCs anyway of the week.

The level of disrespect Hunt gets lately is shocking. Dudes been nothing but a straight up warrior his whole career, never took easy fights, always fought to entertain win or lose, had an iron jaw until his later years and provided some of the sweetest walk away KOs of all time.

He's also absolutely right about what he's saying, I'd take Marks opinion over the UFCs anyway of the week.

I don't think disagreeing with someone is disrespecting them.

They keep getting these cheaters and putting them before health, money before health, people and fighters’ health.

If the roids really make you that mad, no one's stopping you from doing them too. I mean, you're a morbidly obese 5'10 300 lbs and make a living in cage fighting with a Homer Simpson punch me in the head until you gas out boxing style, don't tell me you care about your health too much.
People on here aren't really too bright. You don't think some fighters get better treatment from the testers than others? You don't think the fighters who would be better for the organization/UFC get better treatment, wink wink? This is a business, it's run like a business.

Back