Mark Hatmaker

FiveByFive

White Belt
Reaction score
Searching has been disabled so I can't look for a thread on Mark Hatmaker. Has anyone taken a critical look at his "beyond bjj" instructionals?

Or is he another Matt Furey?

Stephan Kesting says he is legit from his dealings with him. Searching has been disable due to TUF fans crippling the servers.

I haven't seen Beyond BJJ but I'm definitely going to pick it up. I have his Escapes From Impossible Holds and the Floor Bag Workout, both of those had some great information. Some of the things left me scratching my head, but most of the information was great.

i have a video of his that was lended to me and there is good information on it, he seems to be taking himself ultra seriously and it shows

Yo Sir! If you wouldn't mind...what are some of the floor bag routines?

I have most of his videos. All of them have great info. There are on occassion some techniques i don't choose to use. But most of them are very innovative for no gi. He has more no gi stuff out there than anybody i know of for the most part.

His books on boxing/mma striking are excellent, the best out there. He is the real deal, no Matt Furey.

I have one of his earlier books called "Ultimate Submissions". The guy definately knows his stuff, but I don't think he portrays it very well and in an easy to understand format for a beginner. That being said I think only those who are technically experienced can absorb the information well. But I've also never seen any of his DVD instructionals, so I can't comment on that. I find in a book format, many color photographs that are clear and informative on each step are the best books to get. I find Kid Peligro is very good at explaining the subtle points in technique (even though he's only writing what the book's main author is telling him to), as does Helio Gracie in his recent book. Also a picture says a thousand words.

[QUOTE="Dangerous" Dan]I have one of his earlier books called "Ultimate Submissions". The guy definately knows his stuff, but I don't think he portrays it very well and in an easy to understand format for a beginner. That being said I think only those who are technically experienced can absorb the information well. But I've also never seen any of his DVD instructionals, so I can't comment on that. I find in a book format, many color photographs that are clear and informative on each step are the best books to get. I find Kid Peligro is very good at explaining the subtle points in technique (even though he's only writing what the book's main author is telling him to), as does Helio Gracie in his recent book. Also a picture says a thousand words.[/QUOTE]

Do you know anything about this Beyond BJJ book -- how he has counters to BJJ?

FiveByFive said:
Do you know anything about this Beyond BJJ book -- how he has counters to BJJ?

The best counter to BJJ is called elbowing the face when the opponent goes for a sub or sweep :p

I'll go over a couple of things from the Floor Bag Workout:

The one thing that I've had the hardest time with is one of the first exercises on the instructional. It's doing a body lock on the heavy bag and essentially doing some squats with the bag. You're not squatting all the way down though, just enough to feel it. It seems simple enough, but you're constantly switching grips. The bag will slide down, but you should only stop long enough to bring the bag all the way back up. This is to be done for a 3 minute round.

Another example of a round is basically doing a plank with your chest on the bag from a side mount position. The main focus is to put as much weight as possible on your chest so as to essentially try to drive your chest through your opponent. Later he has another round using the plank but alternating from side mount (left side), to north and south, to side mount (right side), without really using your hands.

Other rounds involved lifting the bag and moving around with it. While there were a couple of things that didn't seem very effective (i.e. throwing side knees at the bag while holding it in a body lock) they would still be a good workout.

his merchandise is good, i have his escapes tape and some other stuff of his (cant remember what asdie from a book) but he is very good, lots of useful info.

usually his stuff is pretty good. like they said above. he will have 10 techniques 7 or 8 of em will be good and 3 of them will be kinda iffy if not downright useless but overall good stuff. i enjoy most of his tapes that ive seen.

Definitively not a fraud..

I have most of his stuff to and it is all whery interesting and have a "fresh" feeling to much of it..
With all the bjj instructionals that you have it can be nice with somethings that break out of the mold.

His sandbag dvd kicks but... Recently im incorporating a conditioning routine where i mixed up 2 reps of heavysandbag shouldering with 2 reps where i shoulder the bag and press it overhead. Do that for a 3 min round, rest for a minute 3 min of ground n pound on the floor, and a 3 min round of bas mma workout.. A few circuit of those with high intensity and a tabata squat finisher is a real neat little hardcore routine, and most of it I got from his dvd..

His tape "brutal submissions from the guard" was also really interesting. It really reminds me of Cecchines material.. The same kind of quite efective and unorthodox submissions that you can change up your more conventional bjj game with... Good stuff

Back