Mark Hatmaker anybody tryed his workouts?

SportsScience

White Belt
Reaction score
Has anybody tryed his workouts? Ive loosely tryed his stuff and im a firm belever but im a low level competitor.

I love Mark Hatmaker's stuff. Really. I own about 6 of his books. They're all great.

BUT...his conditioning book was atrocious. I was really excited for it to come out, and got my hands on it right away. My initial impression was positive, but I think that had more do to my excitement and being dazzled by dozens of new exercises I'd never seen before. I even gave it a positive review on the forums. What can I say, I was young, easily impressionable, and probably still thought there was a secret to getting "MMA strong." :rolleyes:

The longer I had that book, the more senseless so much of it seemed to me. Too many ridiculous exercises, lots of flailing of light weigh, poor programming (if you could call it that), a laughable nutrition section...yeah, I sold it.

Now I only have awesome Mark Hatmaker books. :D

I will say, however, that I am on his E-mail list, and occasionally he has workouts in them. I have seen some decent looking stuff in there. Maybe he's changed his views about things.

wow! good to know! so you had the workouts using one dumbell? and training for 30mins? because for a while that was my bible.

I've actually done some private lessons with him along with my friends who are amateur fighters. We would work skill for the first portion of the lesson, then after we had the basics start doing live drilling rounds, followed by conditioning rounds (power cleans, front squats, medicine ball stuff, etc.), rinse and repeat. It's actually kind of stressful knowing you're about to do some training with him because he works you to the bone. I'm not sure how good the book is since I have skimmed it and not completely read it, but this guy has an amazing work ethic which most likely counts for most of his conditioning.

Xtrainer and Lug...since your here could you tell me about his beyond bjj books? To be honest the move showed on the cover would work about 0% of the time, and whenever a wrestler claims to be able to shut down bjj using only/primarily wrestling moves I tend not to take them seriously. That being said I have had very smart and good grapplers tell me he is 1. a breath of fresh air and an underrated genius. 2. he is a moron

I honestly have no clue and no impression could you guys give me your impressions on his fighting system/books? not really interested in what he has to say as far as sc or nutrition goes :)

Sorry man, all of the books I have are from his NHB Fighting series (I think that's what it is called?). I also have his self-defense focused book.

For the most part, I would put Hatmaker in the underrated genius category. The empirical/analytical/rational approach he applies to fighting IS a breath of fresh air indeed. I strongly suggest subscribing to his newsletter, lots of good stuff there. Once in awhile, he'll write something that I disagree with, but who doesn't?

No. But I have tried his hats.

Good hats.

Edit: 1st reply beat me to it. *sigh* :(

This is obviously in the wrong section but! What is your take on his ideas on connecting with the pinky, ring and middle finger when punching? I have tryed this and i use it (not 100% of the time) and it works but is it really a big deal?

Back