News Mario Yamasaki on Herb Dean late stoppage

Guess depends how you define "many". He literally stood over him, looked at the ref to stop it, then was essentially forced to hit him more. Its was egregious, and you acting like it's common is pretty funny lol. Herb did a shitty job, he deserves all the backlash he's getting.
It was a bad stoppage, I'm not acting like it wasn't, but there have been significantly worse stoppages than this (in this year as well) that didn't get nearly as much attention.

Trinaldo was 'essentially forced' to hit Herbert like three more times, and not very hard. Jesus fucking Christ, bring in a stretcher lol.

I don't like Herb, I don't think I've posted a single good thing about him, he's pretty fucking bad, but I'm surprised as to how this stoppage was the one that made everyone piss their pants and demand Herb's resignation.

I don't see anything from Mario himself in this post so, taking it with a grain of salt.

It was a bad stoppage, I'm not acting like it wasn't, but there have been significantly worse stoppages than this (in this year as well) that didn't get nearly as much attention.

Trinaldo was 'essentially forced' to hit Herbert like two more times, and not very hard. Jesus fucking Christ, bring in a stretcher lol.

I don't like Herb, I don't think I've posted a single good thing about him, he's pretty fucking bad, but I'm surprised as to how this stoppage was the one that made everyone piss their pants and demand Herb's resignation.
People always overreact I agree. And way worse stoppages have happened. This was bad though and the fact that it was the "best ref" doing it makes it worse. I see both sides I guess

It was not the worst stoppage in the world, which only reaffirms how bad the state of reffing in MMA actually is. When the fighter who knocked the guy out has time to slowly walk over and pause hoping it gets stopped, commentators have a chance to yell to stop the fight and I'm yelling at my TV wondering what the fuck is going on, it's egregious. That should never happen.

Thankfully it was Trinaldo in there and he showed restraint because if that had been someone like Masvidal, Stephens or Hendo, we'd be talking about one of the worst stoppages in MMA history. That's how out of position and unaware Dean was of what was happening. People talk about this like it's no big deal while failing to realize it only wasn't that bad because of Trinaldo.

The fact that we get stoppages like this all the time just confirms the problem. People with your mindset never admit that there's an issue until something tragic happens. Fighters like Hardy, Felder and Cormier all have the foresight to not want to see someone die before changes are made. And oh yeah, Herbert himself said he respected and admired Hardy for saying what he did. You know, he's the guy who was actually affected by this and not just another keyboard warrior sitting on his couch saying we've seen worse so it doesn't actually matter.

You sound like a real badass.
Not even close to being egregious. He didn't even look knocked out. It's only in hindsight that you know he wasn't going to get back in the fight.

Virtually no one agrees with the stoppage other than Herb Dean himself and the dumbest MMA fans around.

Sure, but that doesn't make this one okay.

I don't feel it was "okay" but I fully understand what Herb was seeing -- objectively -- that made him hesitate in stopping the fight. It was a grayish area in that Herbert didn't stay stiff as a board after falling to the ground, nor did he turtle up. Instead, he appeared to look in the direction of his opponent (later angles showed this wasn't the case I think) and lifted an arm to defend himself.

To clarify, in hindsight I think Herb should have stopped it especially considering the way Jai fell. But his hesitation is understandable and, in my opinion, not his most egregious offense that night -- he let Boser land far too many unanswered blows against a turtled-up Pessoa earlier in the card (remember Hardy yelling "That's the second time tonight!"?).

Last edited:
it also doesn't warrant the amount of attention it's getting. if Dan Hardy wanted to say that was the last straw and then go on a rant spree where he points out all the terrible stoppages in MMA history, that's fine. but he didn't. he singled out Herb Dean and acted like if we just got rid of Herb it would all be ok.

anyone who's ever seen Dan Hardy comment on fighting knows he has a bias for UK fighters. the fact that this stoppage happened to a UK fighter in front of his face makes it seem like his bias is fueling his outrage and vindictiveness towards Herb Dean. like i said in many threads before, i agree it was a late stoppage, but i don't agree that this means Herb Dean needs to be cancelled.

there's a reason Herb Dean can still referee UFC fights and Mario Yamasaki cannot. and that is because Yamasaki has let people take beatings that look like aggravated assaults.
Worst post it the thread. The REASON is because herb is Dana's boi and Mario fucked up shevchenko's highlight reel dana wanted booking her vs a can for a flashy ko.

I miss Mario Man...
<{1-7}>

giphy.gif

why Mario become a meme? Herb is worse.
And when CB lies there motionless after the bell Herb literally tries to drag him to his corner, to continue.

We're still talking about this? There have been many stoppages significantly worse than that.

ehhhh just a bunch of moronic sherbros who still think that A guy getting up to his feet right after the stoppage was the deadliest, latest stoppage in history.

Sure, but that doesn't make this one okay.

So Herbert standing up directly after the finish and communicating with the ref means he was lights out? Stfu dude had his equilibrium rocked and was dazed but he awake and conscious; Just confused. Stoppage was fine.

So Herbert standing up directly after the finish and communicating with the ref means he was lights out? Stfu dude had his equilibrium rocked and was dazed but he awake and conscious; Just confused. Stoppage was fine.
He was not intelligently defending himself. That means the fight is over.

He was not intelligently defending himself. That means the fight is over.

It was a no-win situation. Because from the angle you can see that Jai is awake and has his arm up with his palm facing up looking to block incoming shots. It appears that he’s defending himself. He took a tough equilibrium shot & was awake but confused and dazed. If Herb wouldn’t of given him time, then people would of said to early. He takes 3 extra punches and people like you bitch and cry.

Jai got right up after the stoppage and communicated with Herb. He was fine, you’re overreacting because of how Dan Hardy acted which was the real problem and even Dana addressed that perfectly. Just because Jai was an Englishman and he’s seen the kid fight, so he snapped about it.

Here’s some insight from Big John who describes it as a “lose-lose” scenario

594-C6753-4-C5-B-498-C-B3-F5-1-C82-CDF6534-A.jpg

Back