mario kart 8!

Picked up a Wii U and Mario Kart today thanks to this thread...

Quick newb question: the wife played a round on the tablet just to try it out, and for the life of me I can't get the game to go back to first player using the Wii mote and nunchuck. It works in the system menu, it just refuses to be recognized in the game.

If you haven't figured it out yet I would say you need to go back to the main menu restart the game and press A on the wii remote at the opening screen.

On that topic, is it possible to look back on the gamepad? I know you can on the wiimote but I haven't been able to figure it out not he gamepad. Someone pls help, thanks.

On that topic, is it possible to look back on the gamepad? I know you can on the wiimote but I haven't been able to figure it out not he gamepad. Someone pls help, thanks.

Press "X", it should give you rear view.

Out of curiosity what is everyone using controller wise? I can't get used to driving with the Wiimote/nunchuk combo and hate using the wheel. I love the gamepad but have been using the pro controller, I just feel more responsive with it.

Just my thoughts on the game so far:

This game is another quality addition to the Mario Kart family. It looks better and plays better than any that have come before it (64 version included).

The online community is pretty robust and the tournament option lets you tailor the experience any way you like.

The roster is solid. I like the inclusion of the Koopa kids as characters but I would have been happy to trade in unnecessary characters like the babies for some of the more obscure characters in the Mario universe.

The kart and customization selection is also bountiful and provides a decent incentive to keep on playing once all the characters are pretty easily unlocked.

On the issue of items and item balance there are a couple interesting new wrinkles. The practice of giving better items the further down the standings a racer is remains in effect but using banana peels and green shells as a shield can balance that out to some degree. That being said the game has an annoying new tendency to give coins as an item even when you are in 1st and have full coins when a banana peel would be greatly appreciated. The blue shell frequency seems to have been diminished and now includes the feature of skimming along the ground so that it can also hit players along the way to the first place. Also the new items are integrated nicely and neither over or under powered.

The track assortment is pretty strong. This game makes by far the best use of the past game tracks with a number a modifications that make them all feel pretty fresh. Personally I was disappointed with the choice of Moo Moo Meadows from the Wii version and not Maple Treeway but what can you do. A nice change of pace is the inclusion of two linear tracks that go from start to finish with checkpoints along the way but no laps.

I did notice a couple of missed opportunities in this version relative to new features. First of all coin collection was introduced here but the coins only unlock different karts, tires, or gliders as you pass collection thresholds but i feel like it would have made more sense to use them in a shop type setting. You buy what you want when you want instead of taking what you're given. Secondly the game offers the option of picking the tires you want to use on any of the different vehicles. The problem is that once you pick tires you keep them for the duration of the grand prix, online session, etc. even though the game offers a wide variety of track surfaces. Why not give a 10 second tire change window between races to fully take advantage of the tire customization feature?

Overall I'd give the game an 8 out of 10. It's very well made but not exactly groundbreaking. There seems to be a strong focus on accessibility that makes for a satisfying but slightly shallow experience that is propped up by a strong online component.

Out of curiosity what is everyone using controller wise? I can't get used to driving with the Wiimote/nunchuk combo and hate using the wheel. I love the gamepad but have been using the pro controller, I just feel more responsive with it.

I like the pro controller as well, I tend to over steer a little with the nunchuk but I do like to be able to have more freedom to move my hands.

Anyone find a really good way to coin whore? I'm getting a little impatient going up against people online with cool stuff that I don't have.

game is still very punitive against race leaders. It be nice if front runners receive defense weapons more often. More often, when i'm in lead i get gold coins when i already have 10 max. Low and behold i'm clobbered by red shell, or blue shell. The horn is a defense against blue shells, but it's far and few inbetween that i receive them, even when i'm behind. Oh, and i use the gamepad for racing.

I've been having more problems with the lightning this time around. In single player I usually hang back in the pack until the second half of lap 3 and make a charge up to the front. It hasn't worked as well online.

If there is one complaint I've consistently had about pretty much every version of Mario Kart its the frustration of being shelled into 5th place when I'm within spitting distance of the finish line.

I love that this game is more skill based than other console MK's (no clue about handheld ones). I usually stay in the lead even if hit with a couple or a few items (almost always lighting, red shell, or blue shell) just because my handling is that much better than those behind me. The gamepad tilt controls are also more accurate than the wheel and Wiimote tilt controls, which is nice.

E3 this week!

The Wii U pro controller for this game feels good in my hands.

I've been getting better at using the horn to block red shells too.

This game is fun.

rumored shot of first leak outta e3
jXZ4ff2.png

when you see it...

I really want to pick up a wii u with this and wonderful 101. Getting some tax back etc this summer so I'll have about $10k spare. Most of it's going into my apartment and a new fridge/freezer, but I think I might spring for a wii u and an external drive.

While the item balance is definitely improved, that spike shell still bitches me up more than I'd like. Going for 4 firsts to get the 3 star ranking is a roll of the dice. At least one race I'm going to get spiked just before the finish line, and it drives me fuckin crazy lol. May be some controller smashing in my future.

my gf is getting so mad, she hasn't beat me once.

Scheduled one of the meeting rooms at work today for "MK8 Training Session" :D

Got some pizza too. It was a blast!

Excitebike track that apparently is randomly generated for each race:

The Excitebike track made me happy as heck. Just hearing the music during gameplay will be great.

Back