Mardi Gras stories? Experiences?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by BearGrounds, Jan 19, 2015.

1. BearGrounds

BearGrounds A great many scalps.

On the frontier, west of the Hudson river.
    Early 30s
    Single
    Virtually zero responsibilities in life.

A friend, who lives in New Orleans, just invited me to spend the week at his place to experience Mardi Gras. My inclination is to accept, but I'm interested to hear stories if anyone's got em (that way I'll have a better idea what I'm getting myself into).

I'd have to book a flight (Roughly a four hour trip) and take the week off. So I'd be losing some money, but it isn't anything I can't afford. The thing is, I'm not entirely sure I want to put in all the effort just to attend a massive shit-show (if that's just what it is).

Then again, maybe I do...

So, yea, anyone got any stories or advice? Thanks in advance.

2. D Train

D Train Silver Belt

It's pretty fun. I lived in NO for a long time. If you go, I would suggest avoiding the Quarter. No locals go there during Mardi Gras, it's claustrophobicly crowded. It's so crowded that it's hard to describe.
    You can find pretty much whatever experience you want. If you want laid back family fun, you can find places on the parade routes for that. If you want a wild, drunken party scene, you can find that too. The police don't take a vacation so just beware of that. They are present and active so don't be an ass.
    I would say go just so you can check that box.

3. HARRISON_3

HARRISON_3 Gold Belt

I somewhat would like to go as well just to check the box as you said.
    Is crime really bad also during Mardi Gras?

My knowledge of the Mardi Gras experience comes from Cops.

4. BearGrounds

[​IMG]

Random pic I found after search

Yea, that's pretty packed in. If I go, I think I want to check that out though. Seems obligatory lol. I'll be in town for a week so I'll have time to mix it up. Will definitely spend a few days doing more laid back activities.

As for the police, I'm good. I mind my surroundings everywhere I go. Its habitual.

Thanks for the information.

5. drstrangelov

drstrangelov Hey.

I went in 2013, it was a great time. I stayed primarily in the French quarter, because I was a tourist there alone, though I did some more exploring in the day's after.

It was a great time, definitely something you should experience at least once. A huge drunken shit show for sure, but a ton of fun.

6. ThinkGreen

ThinkGreen Der √úbermensch

I imagine it would be crazy as shit. I spent some time on Bourbon Street last year (not during Mardi Gras) and it was crazy. One of the nights was like 35 degrees and raining, on a Tuesday, and everyone was still partying. My kind of town.

7. BubbaH

BubbaH Brown Belt

I lived in NOLA for two years Oct 1993-Sept 1995. I went to Bourbon Street on Mardi Gras in 1995. It was just as advertised. Wall to wall drunks and boobs. People doing everything from partying and having a good time to pissing and puking in the street and fighting. I saw a few get arrested doing stupid stuff also. It is kind of difficult to navigate through the crowd. If you don't like being in a huge crowd, then avoid the French Quarter. And also be prepared to get out of there at midnight. The police herd everyone out like cattle at 12:00 sharp. I had fun. But I doubt I'd ever do it again. Oh, and don't go wandering off down the side streets either. You can find yourself in a bad spot quickly.

8. Zer

Zer Gold Belt

Throw those beads into the wrong crowd of people and suddenly you're getting curbstomped by the Vice Squad and your parole officer's bumping you back onto the dangerous offenders list

9. 44nutman

44nutman The Original Nut of Sherdog

I have been to 3 Mardi Gras.
    A couple of tips.
    Wear a pair of crappy jeans and shoes when walking Bourbon Street. By the end of the night it is littered with cups and about a half inch of beer, or alcohol coats the street. Your shoes and jeans will get wrecked.
    Always do an Adams apple check before making out with a skank. Lots of dudes dressed as chicks that like making out with dudes. A friend of mine was all excited about kissing "a chick", but I was saw the "chick" and it was a dude. IF you are into that then make out all you want.
    Don't get passed out drunk. My first year their, there was a dude passed out in an alley and I watched like 5 guys pee on him. Walked by him an hour later and he was getting pissed on again, by another group. So unless you like to get peed on by strangers don't get too hammered. Make sure you have a buddy system in place, i.e friends look out for friends.
    The topless joints have a 2 drink minimum and work you for drinks.
    Bring a flask, it is a lot cheaper.
    NO wallet. Put ID and any credit cards in front pocket.
    It is a blast, had a great time all 3 times I went.

10. lakersfan45

lakersfan45 That's sardo! No mr, accent on the do!

As a kid watching the real world and E! specials I always imagined Mardi Gras as women showing their boobs and basically being a big orgy. Is kid me wrong ? Grown up me thinks the shows I watched in the late 90s portrayed it that way but it wasn't as crazy as it seemed on tv. Also grown up me thinks things have probably changed and calmed a lot since late 90s and women don't want to go around showing their boobs and getting drunk to large crowds of crazy drunk men.

Who is more correct kid lakersfan or adult lakersfan?

11. D Train

D Train Silver Belt

I know that theft is pretty high (mostly from parked cars) and large groups of drunks always find trouble, but I've been to dozens and dozens of parades and never had a single issue. Just stay on your toes and I don't think you'll have trouble. The city has a vested interested in keeping Mardi Gras both fun and safe.

12. BearGrounds

^Lmao. Hugely informative. Much obliged.

Enticing pic I came across:

[​IMG]

Trap?

13. D Train

D Train Silver Belt

Your friend will know where to go on the parade routes to get the experience your looking for, but it's kinda like you can see all the personalities of the city along the route and you just find where you fit.
    Also, obviously, try local food. I can give you some recommendations.

14. BearGrounds

Please do, that would be awesome.

My boy moved there a little less than two years ago. So I'm sure he knows quite a bit, but not everything.

15. BearGrounds

[​IMG]

^ Lol

[​IMG]

The fact that it brings the boobs out is pretty glorious. Was difficult just finding pics I could post.

16. D Train

D Train Silver Belt

That's no exaggeration. You won't too many boobs at parades (on Veterans I don't think I ever saw any at all), but in the Quarter, that's another story.
    I'll PM you some cool places to eat. What part of town will you be staying in?

17. Horse Style

Horse Style Silver Belt

Being packed like sardines with hundreds and hundreds of annoying drunks just for the chance to see some titties. Wow

I wonder if any of the posters who say they don't like the super loud and drunk club scene would actually be interested in Mardi Gras

18. highkicknomore

highkicknomore Red Belt

New Orleans is my favorite city. Plenty of history, great food and very friendly locals.

Didn't go there for Mardi Gras but it was a blast.

Edit: Go. Just don't act like a douche and you'll be fine.

19. method115

method115 Titanium Belt

I went to Mardi Gras in Galveston when I was like in the 8th grade. I remember my friend was following these girls around and grabbing their asses and I was a little behind him watching this pervert. So eventually these girls get split into two groups but my friend doesn't realize this and follows one group continuing to grab ass whenever he gets a chance. Eventually the other group comes up behind him and you guessed it they saw him grab their friends asses and immediately screamed out "That's the guy who's been grabbing our ass!" My friend took off running in the crowd while I laughed about as hard as I ever had at that point. It was just so funny cause I had this perfect position where I saw the whole thing happen.

20. BearGrounds

Will be staying somewhere in Kenner. Think he said his place is like a max 30 min mission to the FQ.