Marcelo Rolling with Ben Askren

Chistmas. I think Marcelo might be able to beat Ben in a folkstyle wrestling match.

One of the best wrestlers in the world and one of the best bjj practitioners in the world.

Very nice.

But to be fair if this was a wrestling-rules sparring, Askren would prolly do the same to MG with takedowns.

This is an incredible video. It shows how smooth MG really is as if we did not know it already.

But guys take a step back for a second, this is a training video and it is obvious Askren is being a good partner and try to "jiu jitsu" with MG and not "wrestle" MG.

As good as a wrestler Askren may be he obviously has a way to go to even come close to MG in BJJ.

I did wonder how many chokes it would take before Askren started protecting his neck though.

:)

Well, that wasnt necessarily BJJ, that was grappling, right? :D

And i dont know what you mean by trying to "jiu jitsu" with MG. Askern has been training BJJ for about 3 years now, and has won some good comps as a purple belt.

his hip drop pass to mount transitions are just nuts!! :icon_surp

This imo was just as, if not more impressive than his guillotines from every angle. He passed effortlessly.

Chistmas. I think Marcelo might be able to beat Ben in a folkstyle wrestling match.

No. Not even close.

I openly swing from Marcelo's nuts, but there is no way in hell, hes gonna routinely takedown Ben, and pin him.

In Sub Wrestling(grappling) however, i thinnk its obvious that Marcelo can forgo the takedown, and still win, with relative ease.

No. Not even close.

I openly swing from Marcelo's nuts, but there is no way in hell, hes gonna routinely takedown Ben, and pin him.

I was sort of joking. Sort of. Because in a folkstyle match, at some point Ben would have to engage Marcelo on the mat. Even sitting on his butt, he looks like he might be able to put Ben on his back without pinning himself.

That said, I do realize that Marcelo is not a better wrestler than Ben.

I dont even know what that last submission is, that was just ridiculous. I think he made it up on the spot.

Love the avatar. You seen the season 5 trailer?

The last choke went from a crucifix RNC to a double arm trapped RNC. Crazy ass setup. That same amazing Guillotine transition to mount is there at 1:27 too. He used that on Kron Gracie.

And i dont know what you mean by trying to "jiu jitsu" with MG. Askern has been training BJJ for about 3 years now, and has won some good comps as a purple belt.

This imo was just as, if not more impressive than his guillotines from every angle. He passed effortlessly.

No. Not even close.

In Sub Wrestling(grappling) however, i thinnk its obvious that Marcelo can forgo the takedown, and still win, with relative ease.

Askren even got a ubmission (arm triangle) at ADCC 2009. He's very fun to watch.

To call that amazing would be an understatement. Just incredible.

So he sets it up with a basic Crucifix then Jailbreaks Ben's far arm...interesting. I remember Baret has a similar choke to counter the Paragon guard but it isn't exactly the same

Marcelo's guillotine game is beyond description. Wow at whatever that was at 1:28. And that scissor sweep at around 4 left me speechless. It baffles me that he took away the base of an olympic wrestler so easily.

man, post more of these. The ones with Ryan hall and Arlovski were also awesome.

Where does Ben train?

Is he at Marcelo's?

I think that would be the best fit for him (as if Marcelo would be a bad fit for anyone to train with)

MArcelo Garcia is the reason I gto inot subgrappling. In wrestling I look up to Dan Gable in Sub grappling it is Garcia.

My bad I guess I did not explain. what I meant by that it you could see it was a more flowing laid back style of grappling which obviously MG simply dominated, even if it was training.

It was not an aggressive, explosive "let me see if I can up the tempo" type of match which is what you would expect from a wrestler, not to mention standing up from dangerous situations. It was a good sportsmanship type of roll with MG showing he is not to be F*d with no matter what your credentials.

Amazing how he sweeps him so easily. King Mo said that Askren is one of the best wrestlers in MMA.

Back