Marcelo gets very emotional talking about retirement...

What he says is translated in the op, min 2:01 is when he breaks, I tried to do it as litterally as possible, obviously some words cannot be translated literally...

Oh, I know, and I appreciate the translation. I'm saying that even though we can't follow along word for word, even if we didn't know what he said, if you tell us he was talking about retirement, we would instantly get it. It's a hard realization to accept that you are no longer going to be doing what you love, the thing that defines you.

he should have fought more MMA fights in his prime.

Jacare had the same bumpy start as him and look at how much he has improved.

oh well

for you guys on the northeast, does Marcelo regularly show up to smaller tournaments to coach his guys? or does he only do big stuff like pans?

I was at the No Gi Pan Ams this past weekend (as a spectator to watch my instructor compete) and I bumped into him there.

he should have fought more MMA fights in his prime.

Jacare had the same bumpy start as him and look at how much he has improved.

oh well
Marcelo had two or three fights fall apart on him after the loss - when he was earning diddly squat otherwise. Had to get out and make a living for his family, which he did with great success (eventually).

Wow, that was pretty depressing to watch. You can tell how much Marcelo loves jiu-jitsu and it's heartbreaking/inspiring to see that emotion he has for the sport when he contemplates retirement.

On facebook, some of my friends are saying this is his official retirement - but that's not the impression I get.

Can anyone clarify?

On facebook, some of my friends are saying this is his official retirement - but that's not the impression I get.

Can anyone clarify?

It's not official retirement. It's just that we have to wait and see how life goes. Essentially he still wants to compete but obviously life has other plans.

Judging by how his guys do at tournaments he's on his way to becoming the greatest coach ever, too.

Can anyone clarify?

dude, the answer to your question is right there on the op... he says hes still not retired, but its close.

Back