Marcelo gets very emotional talking about retirement...

lame, he should have competed

Really? I would've loved to see him compete, but I don't think it's lame. Can he even be that motivated anymore? What's left for him to do.

He's a 5x Mundials champ at black belt, and he had 4 ADCC Golds (the only person to get 4 in one weight class), 2 Silvers, and a Bronze. Out of his 27 wins at ADCC, 24 were by submission.

He could've left the game a long time ago and been a legend.

Our sport needs more "Marcelo Garcia's!"

I wonder if he has any idea his impact on the sport, the people and the game of BJJ? I know he / MGinAction has changed the way I look at BJJ, as well as how I play.

Marcelo will get my money every month regardless:D

Over 30, full time job, and twins on the way? That's what the masters division is for :).

couldnt understand a word, but whenever the interviewer asks the question, you could see how hard it hit him immediately. :( that tore at my soul.

his love for this sport is out of this world. to think that the word 'retirement' immediately brought him down to despair like that. if there were lifetime achievement awards for BJJ, this dude gets first dibs

couldnt understand a word, but whenever the interviewer asks the question, you could see how hard it hit him immediately. :( that tore at my soul.

I was amazed on how he "broke"...

Matheus did the gq randomly. He is always coaching us at the ibjjf events and Abu Dhabi trials. This year might be tough too cause adcc in china is the same day as NYC trials and I think he's coaching Fabio G and Bernarado I assume. He's the man enough said if he never competes again he went out on top. He has kids on the way that's going be a new challenge in itself.

Marcelo Garcia represents jiu jitsu better than any Gracie ever has.

In my opinion he will be the sports greatest loss, really.

guys, watch the video, really... its heartbreaking....

Couldn't be more right.

Marcelo is one of the greatest and he doesn't have much to prove. Maybe Metamoris could be something he could compete in? I'd love to see that.

...Heartbreaking... Really... guys... watch the video... guys...

It's sad to see him thinking about retiring, but better now than when he is too old - I would hate to see him getting smashed by some 20-year-old up-and-coming star when he becomes well past his prime.

Wow, that video is really worth watching. Obviously I don't speak the language, but you can just get the feeling. It's clear that he knows his retirement is imminent, but the thought of accepting that his competitive career is over really pains him. He probably knows that he still has what it takes, but that he's not at a point in his life where he can continue to do what he needs to do to compete at the top level, without sacrificing other priorities.

It's sad to see, but I have the utmost respect for Marcelo and what he's done. And if he chooses to call it a career, then I understand and respect that decision. The selfish fan in me wants to see him continue to compete as long as he's able, but in all honesty he's got nothing left to prove. He reigned over his division for nearly a decade in both gi and no gi, and he has advanced the art of BJJ in all aspects. A class act through and through, and a legend without a doubt.

He is a fantastic human being and a great example for the BJJ community. I wish him nothing but success, happiness and love. That is why I love Marcelo.

Wow, that video is really worth watching. Obviously I don't speak the language, but you can just get the feeling. It's clear that he knows his retirement is imminent, but the thought of accepting that his competitive career is over really pains him. He probably knows that he still has what it takes, but that he's not at a point in his life where he can continue to do what he needs to do to compete at the top level, without sacrificing other priorities.

It's sad to see, but I have the utmost respect for Marcelo and what he's done. And if he chooses to call it a career, then I understand and respect that decision. The selfish fan in me wants to see him continue to compete as long as he's able, but in all honesty he's got nothing left to prove. He reigned over his division for nearly a decade in both gi and no gi, and he has advanced the art of BJJ in all aspects. A class act through and through, and a legend without a doubt.

What he says is translated in the op, min 2:01 is when he breaks, I tried to do it as litterally as possible, obviously some words cannot be translated literally...

I have no idea what the interviewer asked at 2:18 but I seriously started crying at 2:20

I am sure he is emotional about stepping back from comps and focusing more on his students and wife/children. He has so much ahead of him and has proved enough on the comp circuit. Great video and thank you for the translation.

Back