Marcelo Garcia Shutting Down De La Riva/Berimbolo Counter

Interestingly, from watching MGinAction, it seems like Marcelo has more trouble passing DLR than any other guard (except maybe spider guard...). Would love to see him deal with Rafa's DLR...

Gianni Grippo is MG's top blackbelt and he got berimbolo'ed all over the mat by Rafa a couple months ago in San Francisco

Gianni Grippo is MG's top blackbelt and he got berimbolo'ed all over the mat by Rafa a couple months ago in San Francisco

Yeah, but Gianni's style is basically the opposite of Marcelo's. So the fact he got tooled by Rafa's guard doesn't really say much.

Well, Marcelo is a 5 time MW world champ (not to mention his ADCC accomplishments) and Gianni is a new black belt just starting to compete at the highest level so I'm not sure it's a fair comparison. Though I don't think Marcelo would smash Rafa by any means, I think it would be super competitive and awesome if they had a match.

Interestingly, from watching MGinAction, it seems like Marcelo has more trouble passing DLR than any other guard (except maybe spider guard...). Would love to see him deal with Rafa's DLR...

I'm not sure I agree completely that Marcelo has trouble passing DLR. It's just rolling, so it's hard to tell if he's just letting the other guy work, Marcelo is trying new stuff, or just exploring the position.

I've never seen Marcelo swept by DLR in competition or in a hard roll (such as with competitive blackbelts like JT Torres, Ryan Hall, etc.). I don't doubt it's happened, but in my years on the site watching hundreds of rolls, it's almost impossible to see Marcelo get swept by anything when both guys are going hard. Batista, Bernardo Faria and Lovato gave him the toughest times, but it's definitely back and forth and he's at a big size disadvantage in those cases.

My feeling is that Marcelo has a very sophisticated anti-DLR game, and can usually shut it down before it even gets started in those cases when he wants to dominate.

If Clark Gracie can defend Rafa's berimbolos effectively, I don't see MG having much of a problem.

If Clark Gracie can defend Rafa's berimbolos effectively, I don't see MG having much of a problem.

But we all know that Marcelo, thank God, wouldn't play that kind of game and would go 100% for the pass, so possibly exposing himself much more to the berimbolo/making the fight like a million more times more exciting than the match with Clark.

Interestingly, from watching MGinAction, it seems like Marcelo has more trouble passing DLR than any other guard (except maybe spider guard...).

I think that's the case for most everyone. How many people are actually good at passing a high level DLR game?

The Berimbolo style is popular at the highest levels, not because it's high percentage (I still believe it's not), but because it is low risk. You can go for it multiple times over and over, and if you're using the series and position right, you aren't going to get passed easily if you fail. You can fail 5 times with the sweep and catch it on #6 with little risk. A skilled DLR guard is very hard to pass.

Back