Marcelo Garcia guillotine vs the norm

With these modern guillotine variations that attack the windpipe, you could have the "squeeze" of a 14 year old girl, and it wouldn't matter. Your opponent will tap furiously. That's why the five-finger guillotine works so well -- it's not the squeeze that does it, it's the technique.

It's really only the classic guillotine or the "arm in, but not across" guillotine that take serious squeezing. Which is part of why they aren't used as much anymore, since blowing your arms out trying to squeeze a guillotine is a terrible idea.

Agreed. My 9 -year-old son drills this one a lot, and it makes me teary-eyed every time he slides into place.

It's damned efficient, you don't need a superhuman squeeze, and if by some miracle they escape the choke, you're left in a generally more offensive position than if you fail on a traditional closed-guard guillotine.

there is no squeeze in marcelo's guillotine. once you get that elbow flared, it is so easy to finish it's ridiculous. I remember the first time practicing this guillotine, people would start tapping and I would be like,"wait, i haven't really even started applying it!"

Seriously minimal effort.

THat's what I'm saying! If you should ever find yourself teaching this choke to a class, God help the assistant, because there's no "soft" application on this. If you flare the elbow and slide in, it's a cough-inducer.

Mckenzie-tine >>>> Marcelo Guillotine

/thread

Possibly- but you need long, lanky arms to do it efficiently- thus it automatically makes it much less useful for shorter, stockier people.

In terms of the squeeze, I asked Marcelo awhile back, and he said he squeeze fast and hard for his guillotines.

Bump for an awesome thread....I was googling 'Marcelo Garcia guillotine' and found this thread, lots of good stuff in here.

hey guys,

I'm glad this thread was bumped b/c I have a question about the guillotine (I've had a fair amount of success with it, but only against blue and white belts), although I should probably ask Rick Mac when he comes for a seminar here tomorrow. Once I get the hands connected the choke is finished, pretty much every single time. I am, however still having problems when the opponent is able to grab onto my choking hand and intercept. On his site, I see that Marcelo uses his leg to wipe the hands off. I think I'm answering my own question, but besides using your leg, squeezing tight from the get-go, and connecting the hands as fast as possible, do you guys have any other tips for preventing or countering a guy from grabbing your choking hand? This question sounds dumber the more I type it, as I think I just need to improve my timing and pressure with one arm.

Thanks

hey guys,

I'm glad this thread was bumped b/c I have a question about the guillotine (I've had a fair amount of success with it, but only against blue and white belts), although I should probably ask Rick Mac when he comes for a seminar here tomorrow. Once I get the hands connected the choke is finished, pretty much every single time. I am, however still having problems when the opponent is able to grab onto my choking hand and intercept. On his site, I see that Marcelo uses his leg to wipe the hands off. I think I'm answering my own question, but besides using your leg, squeezing tight from the get-go, and connecting the hands as fast as possible, do you guys have any other tips for preventing or countering a guy from grabbing your choking hand? This question sounds dumber the more I type it, as I think I just need to improve my timing and pressure with one arm.

Thanks

If they get their hands on the support arm/hand, then you can use your leg to smash their arm away and then block the shoulder by shelving your leg and/or your forearm on top of it, like you said. If they grab your choking arm, I find that to be more problematic, especially if they grab at the hand. If they grab at the wrist, forearm, and you are already dug in, you should be able to finish and just choke them through their hands. If they actually control your hand itself though, I usually will look to remove the choking arm and look to reset the guillotine or just change position with another attack, while keeping one eye on their neck if another opportunity opens up. I guess you have to feel it out. If the arm is deep enough, it doesn't matter. But if you haven't made forearm contact with the throat yet and they clamp down on your hand, it might be best to not hang on to a lost cause.

That's maybe the one downside to the (Marcelo or any other) guillotine. With a RNC, darce/brabo, or north-south, you can usually go back to step one and try again. Unless you're mounted with the guillotine, you'll be under them, and you don't really have the control over them to reset the choke. That's another reason why I always try to step over to the mount to finish the guillotine choke.

Back