Marcelo Brigadeiro - Luta Livre BB Rolling

If you apply the same basic rules to training, the styles are going to come out looking similar, especially when you have interaction between the two, they will cross contaminate and both edge towards a optimal "style" for those rules.

Luta Livre allows a few more things, and might have a slightly different philosophy, but in the end, they are trying to achieve basically the same thing as BJJ, just without the gi and with less emphasis on scoring points.

But if the rules are the same, people are going to end up fighting in basically the same way. Judo looks "different" because it has very different rules and victory conditions, not because it has a different name.

Anyone coming to the UK get in touch with Briga - [email protected]

Get down to the Kaobon gym, we have living/sleeping quarters if guys want to stay and train.

Good luck to Paul Kelly who trains out of our gym, he fights Jacob Volkman tonight on the UFC Live 2 card. I predict some nasty elbows :D

Nice, how was his camp? You think he is ready for the wrestling that Volkman brings?

Anyone coming to the UK get in touch with Briga - [email protected]

Get down to the Kaobon gym, we have living/sleeping quarters if guys want to stay and train.

Good luck to Paul Kelly who trains out of our gym, he fights Jacob Volkman tonight on the UFC Live 2 card. I predict some nasty elbows :D

If I make it over that way, I'm definitely coming by. Good luck in your training, Marcelo looks like a great teacher.

If the issue is mainly with my description as fluid and technical, I will rescind it and further illustrate my point.

Brigadeiro comes from a camp that has heave vale-tudo/CACC influence. This style can often be very muscled and herky-jerky in my experience. Brigadeiro flows into submissions like BJJ players flow into positions. He never seems to be over muscling anything in this clip IMO. However, please take what I say with a grain of salt, I have been around the sport a while, but alas, I am but a lowly blue belt. And to my noobish eyes, his intent is that of finish. His ability to spot and always end up where a finish is possible is uncanny. It is fluid and there is definitely a lot of technique and thought behind his movements, hence the technical and fluid comment. Let's say he is not flow rolling, which we all know looks nice, instead he is giving and taking. Letting his guy work and then pouncing on every limb the guy has with constant threats.

Really entertaining style.

I love MG, but if you watch him roll with someone with Matt you don't see overly fluid movement. It is technical, but there are struggles, gives and takes. This is real jiu jitsu. It reminds me of the misconception that black belts never use strength, watch any black belt rolling with an equal, and there is almost always strength involved. Sometimes function trumps beautiful movement.

Marcelo and Matt Arroyo
Video Gallery - Arroyo Vs marcelo going harder

You know Luta Livre vs. BJJ was less about two seperate grappling styles and more about socioeconomics right?

I know the Luta Livre history. well because of Rickson and Ismaell Wallid feuds..

I love any grappling arts and try to understand their principles etc...

Luta Livre was clearly about 4-5 guys that started catch wrestling in boat building.

What I saw on the vids could just have been some guys training no gi in a BJJ academy.

I am just really surprised.

I guess NOBODY watched his interview...LOL..He explaines it was Helio himself who basically said, if you are not using the gi you are not doing BJJ. He also explains the mindset the BJJ guys had versus the no gi guys. "Oh you are dirty because you let this guy grapple with you no gi" or "You are too poor to get a gi" etc... It is more recently that all of a sudden there was "no gi BJJ" etc..

Watch his vid and it explains alot about why he grapples likes he does and a bit of history!

But of course the Gracies (or some BJJ guy) is not saying it therefore it has to be a lie....OR is it the other way around?

But what is the little bla bla story has to do with the performance?

I expected to see catch wrestling! not guys playing guard from sitting on the floor.

But what is the little bla bla story has to do with the performance?

I expected to see catch wrestling! not guys playing guard from sitting on the floor.

You have to think about where the style developed.

Obviously qith so much Judo and BJJ in Brazil the style of CACC would also develop a guard as well as counters the guard as it only makes sense to do so. The rules of sport grappling were different in Brazil than in America. He even says so in the interview.

You have to think about where the style developed.

Obviously qith so much Judo and BJJ in Brazil the style of CACC would also develop a guard as well as counters the guard as it only makes sense to do so. The rules of sport grappling were different in Brazil than in America. He even says so in the interview.

Well, I do not want to over think on that one.

But if a judoka came on my mats, I would know it immediatly because his unique style.

If a LL guy came on my mats, I would have no freaking idea and most probably would ask which BJJ academy he trained at.

I am just really freaked out.

in a good way of course.

well, i do not want to over think on that one.

But if a judoka came on my mats, i would know it immediatly because his unique style.

If a ll guy came on my mats, i would have no freaking idea and most probably would ask which bjj academy he trained at.

I am just really freaked out.

In a good way of course.

lol!

there has been so much crossover between the two that the lines are very blurry now.

Nice, how was his camp? You think he is ready for the wrestling that Volkman brings?

I expect Paul to get taken down but whether he can keep him there is a different matter. Not sure what submission skills Volkman has but Paul has pretty decent sub defence. I think it's pretty much gonna go the same way as the Veach fight and correct me if I am wrong but Veach is supposed to be a better wrestler thank Volkman.

Briga has been replying to and answering questions on the Underground threads if you have any questions for him or post here and I will ask him to reply if he gets the time.

Paul's fight will be shown here, not sure if you guys in the USA will be able to watch this ...?

Liverpool Echo - Sport - Boxing - EXCLUSIVE - watch Paul Kelly's UFC fight from San Diego for free

Marcelo looks like and incredible grappler...

But, looks like hes all about promoting LL, well, the gracies taught us a good leason on how to spread a MA virus, by proving it live...

Has Brigadeiro ever participate in ADCC, GQ or NAGA or any knonw grappling tournaments??? the info TS got is straight from the MB site, im not calling it BS, though I dont know how prestigius nor who ever compites on those tournaments..

If he REALLY REALLY wants to prove that LL is the superior grapplign system (I think he doesnt say superior, he said the more complete grappling system If I dont remember bad) well, join ADCC, win it, along with other of his best students, CACARECO I think was the most recognize LL practitioner to compete at ADCC, Marcelo subed him by the way...

Marcelo looks like and incredible grappler...

But, looks like hes all about promoting LL, well, the gracies taught us a good leason on how to spread a MA virus, by proving it live...

Has Brigadeiro ever participate in ADCC, GQ or NAGA or any knonw grappling tournaments??? the info TS got is straight from the MB site, im not calling it BS, though I dont know how prestigius nor who ever compites on those tournaments..

If he REALLY REALLY wants to prove that LL is the superior grapplign system (I think he doesnt say superior, he said the more complete grappling system If I dont remember bad) well, join ADCC, win it, along with other of his best students, CACARECO I think was the most recognize LL practitioner to compete at ADCC, Marcelo subed him by the way...

Briga competed and won in many tournaments early in his career, mainly in Brazil. I'm not sure of the details. I will ask him to post.
He has suffered some serious back problems and sadly because of this no longer competes. I think he fought Cacareco and was beating him on points but suffered a knee injury during the fight (not from a submission attempt).
Again he doesn't state the Luta Livre is the best system, I think people are twisitng his words. He is very passionate about Luta Livre, the history and the heritage and wants people to hear his version of the rivalry and struggles versus BJJ which became dominant.
He was present at the Tadeu vs. Gracie fight when the lights went out and his version of events differs vastly from the Gracie version.

Briga competed and won in many tournaments early in his career, mainly in Brazil. I'm not sure of the details. I will ask him to post.
He has suffered some serious back problems and sadly because of this no longer competes. I think he fought Cacareco and was beating him on points but suffered a knee injury during the fight (not from a submission attempt).
Again he doesn't state the Luta Livre is the best system, I think people are twisitng his words. He is very passionate about Luta Livre, the history and the heritage and wants people to hear his version of the rivalry and struggles versus BJJ which became dominant.
He was present at the Tadeu vs. Gracie fight when the lights went out and his version of events differs vastly from the Gracie version.
I'm interested to hear his version of the story, please post it.

he has a back injured but still rolls quite a bit... dont see why he cant compete, unless that back injured prevents him from rolling at all, or he may just not like to compite, Im no one to judge him, im just saying the best way to spread a MA is to prove its efficacy over the rest, thats what the gracies did, thats how bjj is what it is on the world today... IF not him, well, he must have a couple of black belts under him, or at least at his level, we dont see no LL guys dominating ADCC, GQ, NAGA or any other big tournaments....

And he did say on the video that LL is the most complete grappling system and talk down bjj a little, like saying bjj all the sudden invented no gi bjj because Royce got beat up by Kimo at UFC 3, wich is a total lie, because Royce came back at UFC 5 and fought with a gi, and he fought at the PRIDE GP 2000 with a GI against Saku... and this is not my opinion my friend, this are facts, that he lied about on that interview.

The thing about LL being 'more complete' . . as Briga said or maybe somebody else paraphrased him . . could he compete in these big grappling events in the true LL form or are some of the submissions illegal?

Maybe by more complete, this is what is meant?

I could enter one of these competitions, but not allowed to use some LL techniques?

I dont know what the rules on LL tournaments are, but ADCC allows pretty much all subs, maybe some are ilegal, but I dont see that as a valid reason to stop LL guys succiding in those tournaments...

Well I don't personally know Briga but I want to learn from him. I don't know about his reasons for not competing anymore, but I don't think that is a reason for doubting him. Isn't that a bit like doubting Greg Jackson for not fighting in the UFC?

I have seen for myself the kids that he has taught (under 16 grappling competition) and the Kaobon fighters seem to be doing good things in UK MMA.

Maybe in time we will see Kaobon/Luta Livre fighters like Sass, Etim, Kelly, and te many youngsters at the gym doing great things.

Back